PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire 5000

Chipneta
November 2nd, 2012, 01:47 AM
Hello all, I have a little problem with a laptop here. I have tried Ubuntu a few times and probably will be successful someday with it, but for now it just takes too much time messing around with partial drivers etc. So I had a bad hard drive, I got that changed and thought I would try version Ubuntu 12. I didn't get too far for the same reasons. Anyway, I put in my windows XP recovery disks, did what they said, but now I cannot get past error: unknown file system grub rescue>. I can't boot from a CD anymore either, no matter how I get to the BIOS screen I always change to boot from anything else but the hard drive but there it is again. I am considering removing the hard drive and putting a magnet to it. Any better ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Chip

mörgæs
November 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

Please begin with a complete hardware description.

Chipneta
November 4th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hi I did not see your reply until I went to this page, I thought I would see it in my email... duh. The install was Ubuntu 12, I didn't know about the other ones! Sorry I am busy with other things and don't put in the time with computers much. Thanks for asking. I did do an install of Ubuntu in another laptop I dug out of the closet, this time I connected the internet via Ethernet, and checked the 2 boxes asking for third party software and install updates. That one works just fine so far. I bet I will now be able to get familiar with the system and I may prefer it!
Chip

Chipneta
November 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM
OK also the laptop is ACER Aspire 5000. I don't know the rest off the top of my head or what you may want to know, I would just like to be able to reformat the hard disk somehow, but the BIOS will not accept changes. I ask to boot from cd or floppy, and it just changes to HDD I guess, of never saves the new changes?? I can get it if i can just get past the grub rescue thing.

Chip

Chipneta
November 4th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Hey how bout another question? I now have that other laptop running Ubuntu 12 smoothly, can I join the other messed up laptop together with it using an Ethernet crossover cable, and format it from the good computer using Ubuntu?

Thank you.
Chip

mörgæs
November 8th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Now I was the one to not see your post...

For a complete erase of the disk I recommend Killdisk.

According to this
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire5000/Aspire5000sp2.shtml

your computer has SiS graphics, which are sometimes a pain for Buntu. I recommend trying a selection of Lubuntus, not only the latest.

Chipneta
November 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM
OK Kill disk sounds good, I have a couple cd's I use one is the ultimate boot cd which has what I need but I cannot boot from a disk or usb. I was hoping to do it with a crossover cable I still haven't tried it.
Sounds like I need to find someone familiar with the computer, not the OS on there, which is corrupt beyond repair by now. Everybody tells me what I know already, go to bios and change boot to cd. Problem is that wont do it.
So thanks for the help, I may try pulling the drive out and putting a magnet to it or something.
Chip

mörgæs
November 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Have you tried changing the BIOS battery?

You could also move the hard drive to another computer and install a vanilla Lubuntu (no closed-source drivers). After that move the drive back.

Chipneta
November 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I didn't think about moving the hard drive to another computer, what a good idea! That will do it fine I bet.
And I don't know what the BIOS battery is either, but that's ok. I'm gonna swap HD's when I get to it again.
Thanks a bunch.

Chip