PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - The Correct Order?

Majorix
November 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM
So I just got this DVD called "Star Wars Collection: I-VI". It obviously contains all the Star Wars movies released thus far.

The problem is, I have no idea in which order to watch them. As far as I know 3 of them are older but they are called "IV-V-VI" and the new ones are called "I-II-III". I got confused.

Figured there will be a few Star Wars geeks around and I am posting here.

PS: What is the TV series about?

CharlesA
November 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM
You can watch them in order, but tbh, the only "real" Star Wars movies are IV, V and VI. I didn't really care for the prequels.

Paqman
November 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM
Opinions vary on this. I don't know how much you know of the story already, but there is at least one major plot twist that is revealed in Ep 5.

Unfortunately if you watch them 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 then the impact of this would be ruined. For this reason I would be inclined to watch them in the release order: 4 > 5 > 6 > 1 > 2 > 3.

There's also the issue of how satisfying you find the end of Ep 6. At least if you watch them in release order and find the ending annoying you've got another 3 movies to watch. Ep3 is actually pretty good, and a decent place to get to at the end of sinking enough time to watch six movies.

The TV series is a CGI cartoon set in between Ep 2 and 3 (ie: The Clone Wars). It's even more aimed at kids than the movies, but some of it is actually pretty good IMO.

CharlesA
November 1st, 2012, 08:03 PM
+1 to Paqman.

evilsoup
November 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
IMO the best viewing order for someone new to the films is 4-5-1-2-3-6. The prequels (1, 2 and 3) then act as a flashback, ratcheting up the stakes for the finalé without spoiling anything important (they do spoil stuff for 4 and 5 though).

And the TV series is set between number 2 and 3, but it's even more aimed at kids than the movies, to the extent that you might find it unwatchable.

Brandel Valico
November 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM
If it's the first time you have watched them then 4,5,6 with 4 being an original not a special edition copy of the film same with 6.

The rest of this will be in white text to avoid spoilers except for those who want them. Highlight at your own risk.

:: Okay here is the argument for those who have all ready seen them all. They should be watched in the following order for story continuation. 1 "The Phantom Edit" (Way less annoying on the Jar Jar front and actually a far better version of the film),2 "Attack of the Phantom" (again done by the same editor of the Phantom Edit. These edits while not traditional do make better films and well Lucas opened the damn edit concept up himself with the special editions), 3, Original version of 4 (Han shot first damn it all and that god awful scene with Jabba isn't there.) Special edition of 5 , and the original version of 6 (Sebastian Shaw deserves his all to brief moment dressed as a Jedi at the end damn it all.)
::

Okay with the venting done. You have my reasons for those who have all ready seen the originals and thus won't be surprised by the plot twist in 5 anymore anyway. Throw the 2 Ewok movies in sometime after watching 6. If your going to watch them at all.

papibe
November 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hi Majorix.

A little of a tangent reply, but I think you'll enjoy this article (http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/three-best-star-wars-influenced-approaches-learning-linux).

Extract:

The three best, Star Wars-influenced approaches to learning Linux.
by Bryan Lunduke on Tue, 09/25/12 - 10:59am.

Learning Linux for the first time is surprisingly similar to watching the Star Wars series for the first time. But in which order should you do either?...
Regards.

Majorix
November 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM
I was actually thinking of just following the release schedule. With 2 other people supporting the idea, I think this will be the way I follow. Thanks!

Paqman
November 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM
I was actually thinking of just following the release schedule. With 2 other people supporting the idea, I think this will be the way I follow. Thanks!

At least doing it this way will give you the same experience everybody else had!

Tbh the only way to really enjoy all six movies equally is to be nine years old. People get all misty-eyed about the original movies because they saw them as kids. The only thing you can really say is wrong with the prequels is that George Lucas made three more movies for kids, instead of the ones for grown-ups that his now-grown-up fans were expecting.

CharlesA
November 1st, 2012, 08:59 PM
Tbh the only way to really enjoy all six movies equally is to be nine years old. People get all misty-eyed about the original movies because they saw them as kids. The only thing you can really say is wrong with the prequels is that George Lucas made three more movies for kids, instead of the ones for grown-ups that his now-grown-up fans were expecting.

That too! I remember watching them on VHS.. a long, long time ago (in a galaxy not so far away...)

standingwave
November 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM
Order of release. Don't bother with the prequels.

standingwave
November 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Opinions vary on this. I don't know how much you know of the story already, but there is at least one major plot twist that is revealed in Ep 5.

There's another equally big plot twist revealed in Ep 6 that is spoiled in the third prequel. Spoiler (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110108022112AAw7Vwd).

forrestcupp
November 2nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
I agree that the release order is the way to go. If you watch them in number order, you'll miss out on all of the inside stuff that those of us who watched them by release caught.

If it's the first time you have watched them then 4,5,6 with 4 being an original not a special edition copy of the film same with 6.

The rest of this will be in white text to avoid spoilers except for those who want them. Highlight at your own risk.

:: Okay here is the argument for those who have all ready seen them all. They should be watched in the following order for story continuation. 1 "The Phantom Edit" (Way less annoying on the Jar Jar front and actually a far better version of the film),2 "Attack of the Phantom" (again done by the same editor of the Phantom Edit. These edits while not traditional do make better films and well Lucas opened the damn edit concept up himself with the special editions), 3, Original version of 4 (Han shot first damn it all and that god awful scene with Jabba isn't there.) Special edition of 5 , and the original version of 6 (Sebastian Shaw deserves his all to brief moment dressed as a Jedi at the end damn it all.)
::

Okay with the venting done. You have my reasons for those who have all ready seen they originals and thus won't be surprised by the plot twist in 5 anymore anyway. Through the 2 Ewok movies in sometime after watching 6. If your going to watch them at all.
I wouldn't want to watch the edits because that's not how they were meant to be. I didn't think Jar Jar was any more annoying than a lot of the characters in the originals. Even Luke, himself, was whiny and annoying in A New Hope. Also, the scene with Jabba was always meant to be in the movie, but they didn't originally have the technology to pull it off.

I do think Lucas should have left the Han Solo/Greedo duel alone.

lisati
November 2nd, 2012, 02:55 AM
The only one I have in my DVD collection is the first released (IV), both versions, and the only one I've actually seen on the big screen, not long after it was first released. I've seen parts of the others on TV, and thought they didn't have the same impact.

jerome1232
November 2nd, 2012, 03:05 AM
All this talk about Star Wars and me with no copy to re-watch.

I'm a sad panda.

I was a kid when the originals were first remastered and re-released to theater, there was a huge line for the theater in my wee home town of 6,000 souls.

forrestcupp
November 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
All this talk about Star Wars and me with no copy to re-watch.

I'm a sad panda.

I was a kid when the originals were first remastered and re-released to theater, there was a huge line for the theater in my wee home town of 6,000 souls.

I live in a town with just over 6000 people, and we don't have a movie theater at all.

fontis
November 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
You can watch them in order, but tbh, the only "real" Star Wars movies are IV, V and VI. I didn't really care for the prequels.

They are all "real" Star Wars movies for the record :)

Anyway, you should definitely watch them in release order aka 4>5>6>1>2>3

eriktheblu
November 2nd, 2012, 04:44 PM
Proper order: IV, V, II, III, VI

Plot twist in episode V which episodes II and III provide background to. Revelation in episode III does not diminish the effect if later seen in episode VI. Seeing VI before II and III makes II and III less surprising.

Episode I should be skipped; it has no value.

jerome1232
November 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
I live in a town with just over 6000 people, and we don't have a movie theater at all.

It's an old Fox theater, it's been remodeled more times than I can count on one hand, I'm pretty certain the owner runs it at a loss just to keep an old fox theater running.

Paari
November 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 1 -> 2-> 3 in actual....

Well you can watch it in the released order too. I dont think u'll miss the fun :)

forrestcupp
November 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
It's an old Fox theater, it's been remodeled more times than I can count on one hand, I'm pretty certain the owner runs it at a loss just to keep an old fox theater running.We have a building that used to be a theater a long time ago, but now it's just storage space and a Masonic lodge. :)

4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 1 -> 2-> 3 in actual....

Well you can watch it in the released order too. I dont think u'll miss the fun :)
What? That is the released order.

forrestcupp
November 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
Episode I should be skipped; it has no value.

I totally disagree with that. In episode 4, Obi Wan told Luke that his father was a good pilot, too. Episode 1 shows the beginning of that and establishes that he had a knack for it from a very young age. It also showed the beginning of the downfall of the Republic and the plan to have the droids take over, which set it up for the Clone Wars. It showed the attachment Anakin had to his mother, and the anxiety he had over leaving her, which helped lead him to the dark side. I could go on and on. Sure, maybe it's possible to watch them all but that one and still get the overall storyline, but I definitely wouldn't say that it has no value.

Besides, I actually liked that one a lot. I loved Liam Neeson in it, and I wish Qui-Gon Jinn could have had more of a role.

lisati
November 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
We have a building that used to be a theater a long time ago, but now it's just storage space and a Masonic lodge. :)

In the part of Auckland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howick,_New_Zealand) in which I (mis)spent my younger days, there was a flea pit picture theatre. I understand that it's used as apartments these days. I'd like to report that it's where I saw episode IV back in the 1970s, but that would be stretching the truth somewhat.

jerome1232
November 2nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
I totally disagree with that. In episode 4, Obi Wan told Luke that his father was a good pilot, too. Episode 1 shows the beginning of that and establishes that he had a knack for it from a very young age. It also showed the beginning of the downfall of the Republic and the plan to have the droids take over, which set it up for the Clone Wars. It showed the attachment Anakin had to his mother, and the anxiety he had over leaving her, which helped lead him to the dark side. I could go on and on. Sure, maybe it's possible to watch them all but that one and still get the overall storyline, but I definitely wouldn't say that it has no value.

Besides, I actually liked that one a lot. I loved Liam Neeson in it, and I wish Qui-Gon Jinn could have had more of a role.

All I know is the guy that played Willow makes an appearance in one tiny scene.

Made me happy.

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
I'll throw out the unpopular decision that you shouldn't watch them all. They don't hold up.

papibe
November 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
...you shouldn't watch them all.

I'd say: YES TO ALL! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3qwB7ORL8)

;)

standingwave
November 3rd, 2012, 02:57 AM
What is the TV series about?
For a terrific introduction to the Star Wars universe, you should begin with The Star Wars Holiday Special (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Holiday_Special).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/StarWarsHS.jpg

JDShu
November 3rd, 2012, 03:51 AM
If you go 3,2,1,6,5,4 you can watch the special effects technological progression backwards.

I guess if you went 6,1,5,2,4,3 it'd be like the star wars version of Memento.

3rdalbum
November 3rd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Watch 4, 5, and 6. Don't bother with the prequels at all.

Get the latest versions as the special effects have been enhanced.

Am I the only one who thinks this whole "Han shot first" complaint is a bit silly? Does it really matter? It's not like George Lucas dramatically changed the storyline, or turned a male character into a female character, or anything like that. The whole uproar just reinforces negative stereotypes about geeks.

The other thing I never understood is how a bumbling, dopey alien in Episode 1 is universally hated by fans, but a bumbling, dopey AND effeminate robot in eps 4-6 is somehow okay. Yes, Jar-Jar is far less annoying to me than C3PO.

It probably sounds like I'm trolling Star Wars fans to get a reaction, and I'd be surprised if I receive no negative replies. Honestly though, I'm just trying to raise a few points that bug me and seeing if I've missed something.

evilsoup
November 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
I think if they'd made Jar-Jar's voice a little less... squeaky, I guess... then there wouldn't have been such a problem with him.

sisco311
November 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'd say: YES TO ALL! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3qwB7ORL8)

;)

+1

Including Episode IV ASCIImation:

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

standingwave
November 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this whole "Han shot first" complaint is a bit silly?

Very silly, especially the way Lucas keeps stirring the pot. The latest twist is that, in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-star-wars-interview-288523) earlier this year, Lucas maintains (via Jedi mind trick?) that Greedo always shot first and it was poor editing in the 1977 release that has confused the audience over the years. :confused:

I haven't signed any petitions nor have I bought any t-shirts but I think the change turns Solo into a bit of an idiot, allowing the bad guy to shoot first and miss. I think Lucas had it right in the original release and that he should have trusted his instincts.

cariboo
November 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
At least doing it this way will give you the same experience everybody else had!

I think I take offence to that remark, :-D, I saw both 4 and 5 in a state of the art (at the time) theatre in Nanaimo BC (I challenge all you Americans and Canadians that have never been to Vancouver Island to pronounce it properly) and 6 in an old decrepit theatre here in Williams Lake, and thoroughly enjoyed them, even though I was considerably older than 9. I own the original three on blu-ray ( I have them on VHS too, but I haven't had a working vcr for years) and still enjoy them all these years later.

jwbrase
November 4th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Tbh the only way to really enjoy all six movies equally is to be nine years old.

Not really even that way. Episodes 3 and 5 are a bit dark for a nine year old. I first saw the original trilogy at about that age, and Episode 5 ended up being my least favorite of the original trilogy (whereas most people tend to regard it as the best of the Star Wars films).

EDIT: To clarify, Episode 5 ended up being my least favorite of the original trilogy because the hand-removal scene spooked me.

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
And after you watch 4,5,6,1,2,3, make sure you watch Space Balls. :D

All I know is the guy that played Willow makes an appearance in one tiny scene.

Made me happy.Yeah, that was awesome. Wasn't it episode 1 that had the E.T.s, too?

If you go 3,2,1,6,5,4 you can watch the special effects technological progression backwards.

I guess if you went 6,1,5,2,4,3 it'd be like the star wars version of Memento.Lol. Nice! That's a pretty big time commitment, though. ;)

CharlesA
November 6th, 2012, 02:38 AM
And after you watch 4,5,6,1,2,3, make sure you watch Space Balls. :D

Indeed. Oh, and don't forget to Jam the Radar first. :D

Paqman
November 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I think I take offence to that remark, :-D, I saw both 4 and 5 in a state of the art (at the time) theatre in Nanaimo BC (I challenge all you Americans and Canadians that have never been to Vancouver Island to pronounce it properly) and 6 in an old decrepit theatre here in Williams Lake, and thoroughly enjoyed them, even though I was considerably older than 9. I own the original three on blu-ray ( I have them on VHS too, but I haven't had a working vcr for years) and still enjoy them all these years later.

Hey, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but they are "family" films and shouldn't IMO be taken too seriously. They aren't grown-up sci-fi a la Blade Runner, they're just a bit of fun with wisecracking robots and lightsabres.

forrestcupp
November 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM

What's the matter, Colonel Sanders? Chicken?

jerome1232
November 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hey, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but they are "family" films and shouldn't IMO be taken too seriously. They aren't grown-up sci-fi a la Blade Runner, they're just a bit of fun with wisecracking robots and lightsabres.

You will not remember this post.

You will go buy the entire series on Blu-ray.

You will watch a marathon session of Star Wars.

You will go to you tube and watch Cello Wars by The Piano Guys.

mips
November 6th, 2012, 06:18 PM

Now that was a good movie!

Paqman
November 6th, 2012, 06:51 PM
You will not remember this post.

You will go buy the entire series on Blu-ray.

You will watch a marathon session of Star Wars.

You will go to you tube and watch Cello Wars by The Piano Guys.

Well, I was expecting the reaction to be: "Burn the heretic!", so I guess I got off pretty lightly here...

jerome1232
November 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Well, I was expecting the reaction to be: "Burn the heretic!", so I guess I got off pretty lightly here...

I was serious about the last one, it's a funny parody imo. Instrument bows are lightsabers. That's not to say it isn't slightly childish :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o

CharlesA
November 6th, 2012, 07:39 PM
What's the matter, Colonel Sanders? Chicken?
I had totally forgot about that one!

Just don't forget to comb the desert...

forrestcupp
November 6th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I had totally forgot about that one!

Just don't forget to comb the desert...

I see your Schwartz is as big as mine.

MisterGaribaldi
November 6th, 2012, 11:29 PM
*wakes up from a very long slumber*

To the OP, the "correct" chronological order is, as has been beat into the ground, I - II - III - IV - V - VI. However, there's an enormous percentage of us long-term Star Wars fans who are not just dissatisfied by the recent prequels, but are actually offended by them and what Lucas has done to what is, clearly, his own property.

In light of the recent Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm, perhaps h*ll is about to well and truly freeze over: new movies without George Lucas making them. I can only hope all he gets is a creator screen credit, and is otherwise ignored in favor of someone at Disney who is a *true* Star Wars aficionado taking up the reigns and doing the job properly.

Then again, maybe Princess Ariel will show up and the whole thing will turn into a musical.

Either way, it can't be any worse than what Lucas subjected us to.

sffvba[e0rt
November 6th, 2012, 11:37 PM
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/military-aviation/29885d1345853579-top-ten-best-fighters-spaceballs_2_001.png

CharlesA
November 7th, 2012, 12:03 AM
"They've gone to plaid!"