PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu Raring Ringtail

Chdslv
November 1st, 2012, 05:11 PM
Kubuntu looks easy on the eye. Apps respond faster.
Two screenshots. The background is Sri Lankan beach in the evening.

Conky thanks to Noobslab with some tweaking.:)

Note the ram and memory usage.

PaulW2U
November 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Here's mine, looking pretty much the same as it has done since 11.04 just using a slightly different wallpaper.

I'm only going to be using Kubuntu for this development cycle as I much prefer KDE applications over their Gnome counterparts.

Chdslv
November 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, I have to agree with you, Paul. KDE apps are nicer looking, and snappier. You don't need to go looking for Compiz for eye-candy as it is right there in KDE. The interesting part is the cpu usage and the memory usage. I'll try to build the plasma desktop from the mini.iso.

Have a nice day!:)

philinux
November 1st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Is this 64 or 32 bit?

ventrical
November 1st, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm using 32bit. It is working just awesomely on my old01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) and the new k3.7.RC3 kernel has ramped it up nicely.

Very , very snappy indeed!!

Chdslv
November 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Is this 64 or 32 bit?

This is 32 bit.
I'd try 64 bit sometime later.

Chdslv
November 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
Here is a screenshot of Plasma Desktop 4.9.2 (not Kubuntu-desktop), started with mini.iso 12.10 and with Raring. First, I had installed Gnome-shell (not Ubuntu-gnome-desktop), later also Unity (not Ubuntu-desktop) and now on a whim installed Plasma-desktop.

The screenshot shows working Gnome and other apps, Nautilus 3.6.1, Shotwell, Rhythmbox and even Disks.

I was wondering to install Gnome-shell in Kubuntu, which is already in Raring, but did it this way. I have in this "distro" Gnome-shell, Plasma-desktop and Unity.

Apps are really flying. :)

Kernel 3.7.0-030700rc2-generic, GNOME Shell 3.7.1, KDE 4.9.2 Unity 6.8.0:)

This is the working partition in my laptop from now. By the way, it is now nearly 4 years old.

Chdslv
November 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Here is another screenshot with KDE, Gnome and Unity shown.

See you tomorrow!:)

mparillo
November 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm using 32bit. It is working just awesomely on my old01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) and the new k3.7.RC3 kernel has ramped it up nicely.

Very , very snappy indeed!!

Hmm, I would prefer 32 bit as I run under VMWare Player, but all I see under:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/20121102/
is
- 64-bit Mac (AMD64) desktop image
- Texas Instruments OMAP4 (Hard-Float) desktop image

ventrical
November 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hmm, I would prefer 32 bit as I run under VMWare Player, but all I see under:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/20121102/
is
- 64-bit Mac (AMD64) desktop image
- Texas Instruments OMAP4 (Hard-Float) desktop image

I did the upgrade process to Raring from 12.04 Precise Pangolin (32bit). With the new 3.7.x-xRC3 kernel it runs the old Nvidia iron just great.

The only bug so far (with older nVidia iron -graphics adapter cards) is that the compiz-like effects slow down with firefox web browser. But with Rekong(default) it is smooth all the way with cubes and wobblys.

I think that Ubuntu-unity could learn somthing from Kubuntu-desktop and how they are able to successfully install and utilize the [nouveau] drivers.

Chdslv
November 2nd, 2012, 05:15 PM
It is now Gnome-KDE-Unity Raring Ringtail, which was built from Quantal mini.iso. I got little tired of having Gnome 3.7.1 without any extensions, so I downgraded it to Gnome 3.6.1.

The kernel is 3.7.0-030700rc2-generic. I don't know, whether I'd go for rc3, but I'd enjoy this for now. The distro is updated and upgraded for today.

Unity is 6.8 and KDE is 4.9.2

I can use Amarok, Dolphin, Gwenview, Ksnapshot, Okular, K3B, which are somewhat superior to the Gnome equivalents.

The KDE Plasma desktop takes a bit of memory than Gnome or Unity. At this moment, I am in Gnome and with five apps running, the memory is at 527.8 and the two processors going at less than 11%.

No crashes yet. I don't think--I hope--I'd get any. :)