PDA

View Full Version : Apple ordered to re-write 'inaccurate' Samsung statement

leclerc65
November 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20165664

Mikeb85
November 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
Mark my words, Apple will fall (yet again), they don't want to play nice with the rest of the industry.

If Apple licensed their OS, supported industry standards, and still made the same products, they'd really dominate the industry. As of right now, they simply make a ton of money, and will become irrelevant soon enough.

Microsoft could do very well with W8, RIM is going to attempt a monumental comeback (and I think they have a very good shot), more fragmentation, more cloud-based services, more web apps, all equal bad news for Apple.

vasa1
November 1st, 2012, 06:09 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20165664
Good.

grahammechanical
November 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM
I am glad that at least one judge is not taking any nonsense from Apple. He made an interesting point at the time he made his original decision. He refused to decide on an examination of aspects of the design. He compared product with product and noted that if one product was different from another product, then it was not a copy of the second product.

alexfish
November 1st, 2012, 07:02 PM
thought that it had

well we all know what Thought did :eek:

Nice to see some Straight talk for some quarters , wonder if the other quarter understand it.

KiwiNZ
November 1st, 2012, 07:09 PM
Very good

Paqman
November 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
they'd really dominate the industry.

I think they're probably pretty ok with where they're at:

#2 on PCs
#2 on mobiles
#1 on mp3 players
#1 download service
#1 on tablets

They're one of the most influential companies in tech, and still on the up. The mindshare and customer loyalty they have is unsurpassed. You can accuse Apple of a lot of things, but a shortage of dominance isn't one of them.

ZarathustraDK
November 1st, 2012, 08:18 PM
...RIM is going to attempt a monumental comeback (and I think they have a very good shot)...

I see what you did there :)

localhost8080
November 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM
im not sure what else they can do, except put 48pt font on the front of their site saying 'sorry'

johnnybgoode83
November 1st, 2012, 09:16 PM
It won't stop their patent trolling, though. The system is broken and needs some serious reform as it is protecting monopolies rather than innovation in it's current form.

Paqman
November 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM
It won't stop their patent trolling, though. The system is broken and needs some serious reform as it is protecting monopolies rather than innovation in it's current form.

I agree that the US patent system does look pretty messed up from the outside, but I'd also like to point out that creating an artificial monopoly is sort of the point of patents.

xedi
November 1st, 2012, 11:00 PM
I agree that the US patent system does look pretty messed up from the outside, but I'd also like to point out that creating an artificial monopoly is sort of the point of patents.

But not to create monopolies for silly things like rectangles with round corners or slide to unlock.

NadirPoint
November 2nd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Opined by judge Colin Birss:

Samsung's product was not as "cool".
Wow, Apple's definitely in trouble there. :roll:

Another pasty white-haired Brit judge gets his knickers in a twist.

Meh.

MG&TL
November 2nd, 2012, 12:42 AM
Another pasty white-haired Brit judge gets his knickers in a twist.

Can we omit the "Brit" part next time please? We do exist, y'know. :P

Linuxratty
November 2nd, 2012, 02:02 AM
Mark my words, Apple will fall (yet again), they don't want to play nice with the rest of the industry.

This is so true..Well I'm just waiting for them to really kick the ant hill that's for sure.

eddier
November 2nd, 2012, 03:08 AM
Apple make some great products design-wise. Their products like iphone and ipad look drop dead gorgeous,I just dont like the closed loop thing. Apple or nowt.

If you buy a ford car you are not forced to use their tyre products or their fuel and oil etc.

I think they should be flattered that Samsung used the ipad as a role model so to speak-enabling non Apple fans to join in the fun.

The judge was right-he didnt let himself get bogged down in details,side by side its plain to see the Samsung is not a copy of an ipad. It IS a similar product in different clothes.

eddie

lisati
November 2nd, 2012, 03:11 AM
What? A record company (http://www.applerecords.com/) is into mobile phones now? :D

Gone fishing
November 2nd, 2012, 06:15 AM

No the point of patents was to protect and encourage innovation and innovators. The fact that you perceive the point of patents is to create monopolies just says how messed up the system is.

forrestcupp
November 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
I'm feeling kind of dirty right now. I just signed up for Dish Network and I'm getting a free $450 Apple gift card. I'm buying and iPad 3 with it. I already have the original ASUS Transformer, and I'll probably be giving that tablet to my boy for Christmas.

evilsoup
November 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
No the point of patents was to protect and encourage innovation and innovators

by granting them a temporary monopoly on their inventions. The problem is patents on ridiculous things, rather than patents themselves.

kevdog
November 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'm feeling kind of dirty right now. I just signed up for Dish Network and I'm getting a free $450 Apple gift card. I'm buying and iPad 3 with it. I already have the original ASUS Transformer, and I'll probably be giving that tablet to my boy for Christmas.

Ipad3 -- you'll love it!!! Ipads are great, however if your are really invested and use a bunch of google products, they actually suck.

Linuxratty
November 3rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
A friend of mine has an Android and it definitely does not suck.