PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] After 12.10, no GUI can authenticate for administration, such as Software Center

mikecrowe
November 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
I upgraded to 12.10, and now I can't use Software Center or Network Administration. It keeps giving me an authentication errors. When I check /var/log/auth.log, I see:

Oct 31 21:10:45 mike polkit-agent-helper-1[4665]: pam_unix(polkit-1:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=1000 euid=0 tty= ruser=root rhost= user=root
Oct 31 21:10:51 mike polkit-agent-helper-1[4667]: pam_unix(polkit-1:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=1000 euid=0 tty= ruser=root rhost= user=root

I found a post which said to change my password, which I've done (both through the Ubuntu settings GUI tool, and through recovery mode). No avail.

Any suggestions?

TIA
M

mikecrowe
November 9th, 2012, 11:37 PM
OK, for whatever reason, ubuntu 12.10 needs a root password set. You need to:

sudo passwd
to set your root password (who knew). After that, things seem to work.

critin
November 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM
OK, for whatever reason, ubuntu 12.10 needs a root password set. You need to:

sudo passwdto set your root password (who knew). After that, things seem to work.

Something strange must have happened to your setup because I use 12.10 and my user login password runs everthing just like it always has.

Do you now login with one pasword and do root admin stuff with another? Do you still have to use sudo?