PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wired internet not working

HBurd
November 1st, 2012, 04:26 AM
I built a computer for the first time yesterday, and installed Xubuntu. Everything is working fine so far except for the fact that I cannot connect to the internet. When I plug in the ethernet cable, nothing happens. Under Network Connections, there are no connections for me to join. Is there something I need to do to set it up?

2F4U
November 1st, 2012, 08:26 AM
Is your network card recognized, do you see the card when you enter lspci? There are usually lights on the card. Are they blinking?

HBurd
November 2nd, 2012, 04:03 AM
My network card is integrated with my motherboard. Yes, it does seem to be recognized in lspci.

Yumi
November 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM
Have a look in Network Manager and see if "Airplane Mode" on top is enabled. This would disable all connections.

Michael

HBurd
November 2nd, 2012, 05:33 AM
What do you mean by network manager? If you mean the network connections page in settings, there is no airplane mode option.

Yumi
November 2nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
Yes. Main Menu - System Tools - System Settings - Networking

The top line is Airplane Mode. It was enabled at default in my install.

Michael

Hadaka
November 2nd, 2012, 05:49 AM
Hi, please post the output of...

rfkill list all

lspci -nn | grep -E 'Ethernet|Wireless'

thanks.

HBurd
November 2nd, 2012, 06:03 AM
rfkill list all has no output

lspci -nn | grep -E 'Ethernet|Wireless' outputs:
05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1091] (rev 10)

HBurd
November 3rd, 2012, 01:23 AM
More information:
I ran sudo lshw -class network which outputed *-network UNCLAIMED and a bunch of information about my ethernet controller. I saw on another thread that this is associated with a missing driver.

steeldriver
November 3rd, 2012, 01:33 AM
what version of Xubuntu? you may be able to use the alx driver from the compat-wireless backport

Ubuntu now provides a package for this driver.

To install the driver:

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.4-precise-generic
sudo modprobe alx

see http://askubuntu.com/questions/165192/how-do-i-install-drivers-for-the-atheros-ar8161-ethernet-controller

chili555
November 3rd, 2012, 01:39 AM
what version of Xubuntu? you may be able to use the alx driver from the compat-wireless backport

see http://askubuntu.com/questions/165192/how-do-i-install-drivers-for-the-atheros-ar8161-ethernet-controllerWithout ethernet??

HBurd
November 3rd, 2012, 02:56 AM
Without ethernet??
Is it possible to do this without it?
Edit: I mean work around it, like downloading the driver on a different computer?

chili555
November 3rd, 2012, 03:18 AM
Is it possible to do this without it?
Edit: I mean work around it, like downloading the driver on a different computer.Certainly. But you can't just open a terminal and ask apt to install a driver it downloads from the internet ... without any internet!

Please see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2050126&highlight=alx

The procedure is outlined at post #4 and the no-internet gotcha starts at post #6 and following.

If you've installed Ubuntu 12.10, I'd try compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc. I compiled it without any warnings or errors myself as a test.

Post back if you get stuck.

HBurd
November 3rd, 2012, 03:51 AM
I've downloaded the packages that build essential is dependent on, and the usb key I used to install xubuntu is being formatted now, which could take a while. Just like the guy in the other thread, I will call it quits for the night and finish this in the morning.

chili555
November 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
We'll look forward to your report. Don't forget linux-headers-generic.

HBurd
November 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Thank you! It worked perfectly! I was worried for a while that I wouldn't find a solution to this, but you were a tremendous help.

chili555
November 3rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
Thank you! It worked perfectly! I was worried for a while that I wouldn't find a solution to this, but you were a tremendous help.Awesome! When you compile a package from a tar.gz or similar, it is compiled against your running kernel version only. When Update manager installs a later kernel version, also known as linux-image, you will need to re-compile against the new version:
cd Desktop/compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc <--or wherever you extracted the package
./scripts/driver-select restore
./scripts/driver-select alx
make clean
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe alxPlease retain your file and these instructions for that time.