PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04

steviez
November 1st, 2012, 01:20 AM
Hi,

I have always liked ubuntu 11.04 and would like to continue to use it. Will I be safe to do so?

Thanks

snowpine
November 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the forums! 11.04 no longer has any support or updates from Canonical. If you are confident that you have the Linux skills to address all security concerns on your own with no suppot from the maker, the answer to your question is that Ubuntu releases do not have a self-destruct mechanism that ativates on their end-of-life date. However, using an obsolete release is not something I would recommend (except for educational purposes, like you are writing an article about historical Linux releases). :)

dannyboy79
November 1st, 2012, 02:32 AM
Hi,

I have always liked ubuntu 11.04 and would like to continue to use it. Will I be safe to do so?

Thankswhat do you use it for? also, do you have a router or only a modem? or perhaps a cable modem/router? Only curious as that adds a layer of security in the form NAT.

steviez
November 1st, 2012, 02:45 AM
what do you use it for? also, do you have a router or only a modem? or perhaps a cable modem/router? Only curious as that adds a layer of security in the form NAT.

Hi,

I have a router with NAT enabled.

Thanks

steviez
November 1st, 2012, 02:46 AM
Welcome to the forums! 11.04 no longer has any support or updates from Canonical. If you are confident that you have the Linux skills to address all security concerns on your own with no suppot from the maker, the answer to your question is that Ubuntu releases do not have a self-destruct mechanism that ativates on their end-of-life date. However, using an obsolete release is not something I would recommend (except for educational purposes, like you are writing an article about historical Linux releases). :)

Thanks for your reply :)

Slim Odds
November 1st, 2012, 03:34 AM
You won't get bug fixes either....

I'd switch to using LTS releases if you don't like to update much.