PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Restricted Extras in 12.04 - problems with EULA and /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Loerie
October 31st, 2012, 09:35 PM
During 12.04-1 installation, when running

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extrasit gets stuck at a Microsoft EULA, "Configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer".
It says <Ok> but nothing makes it accept the EULA. Terminal has to be closed in order to do anything.

Running

sudo apt-get install -fresults in:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?Anyone else having issues with accepting the EULA?
Please help me to get rid of the lock, it is messing up the installation.

Should anything fail, can one "undo" the installation of restricted extras?

Thanks!

howefield
October 31st, 2012, 09:37 PM
During 12.04-1 installation, when running

it gets stuck at a Microsoft EULA, "Configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer".
It says <Ok> but nothing makes it accept the EULA. Terminal has to be closed in order to do anything.

Use the tab key to highlight the OK button and press enter.

Loerie
October 31st, 2012, 09:45 PM
Great, but The problem is right now that I am locked out and cannot get back to the EULA window.

What ever I do in terminal, the

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

message appears.

howefield
October 31st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Generally means another apt-get instance is running, close all running package installers or might be easier to restart the machine.

Loerie
October 31st, 2012, 09:49 PM
I restarted several times... no change

howefield
October 31st, 2012, 10:05 PM
Try these commands in a terminal one at a time.

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get update

Loerie
October 31st, 2012, 10:41 PM
It did it!

Your suggestion to get out of the EULA through TAB ENTER would have probably prevented the lock problem. I mention it for others who might experience the same problems in the future.

Thanks!

howefield
October 31st, 2012, 10:54 PM
You're welcome.

Glad you got it sussed.

hans12345
November 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks!

I had exactly this problem.