PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu upgrade is ridiculouly slow

vranjan
October 31st, 2012, 02:18 AM
My upgrade manager prompted me for an upgrade to 12.10 from 12.04. So, clicked on upgrade. It has been 4+ hours now and the system is still trying to upgrade. The progress bar is still at around 10%. So, it may take more than 24 hours to upgrade. This compared to a clean build which might have taken less than an hour. I wish Ubuntu should have warned of the amount of time it may take (or likely to take) for an upgrade. Looks like the upgrade mechanism touches all the 50000 files that system uses.
Anybody facing the same issue or am I doing something wrong here ?:mad:

pandacookie
October 31st, 2012, 02:33 AM
My upgrade manager prompted me for an upgrade to 12.10 from 12.04. So, clicked on upgrade. It has been 4+ hours now and the system is still trying to upgrade. The progress bar is still at around 10%. So, it may take more than 24 hours to upgrade. This compared to a clean build which might have taken less than an hour. I wish Ubuntu should have warned of the amount of time it may take (or likely to take) for an upgrade. Looks like the upgrade mechanism touches all the 50000 files that system uses.
Anybody facing the same issue or am I doing something wrong here ?:mad:

Four hours??

It shouldn't take that long. When I upgraded it took less than an hour.

jerrrys
October 31st, 2012, 03:17 AM
If you can do without that machine I would let it keep working at it. I know that 4 hours is way too long, but if you stop it you are going to end up with a mess.

Your not on the east coast of the US are you?

8grod
October 31st, 2012, 07:16 AM
Are you updating over a wifi connection?
I learned to NOT do that. Wireless support and kernel changes don't often mix well.

In my experience, ALWAYS upgrade over a wired connection only.