PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Disney bought Lucasfilm

forrestcupp
October 31st, 2012, 01:43 AM
George Lucas just sold Lucasfilm to Disney. (http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd) Not only that, but Disney is now working on a new Star Wars trilogy (episodes 7-9) that will be released in 2015. They'll be using George Lucas as a creative consultant, and they will be using a storyline that Lucas has already worked on. Lucas's current co-chair will be going to Disney and will still be in charge of this stuff. Disney also now owns the rights to Indiana Jones.

What are your thoughts on this?

sandyd
October 31st, 2012, 01:58 AM
Next month is gonna be fun.

/me immediately calls up contacts and fills in contract for studio work at disney

wojox
October 31st, 2012, 02:02 AM
Love Star Wars and Disney. This is huge. :popcorn:

lisati
October 31st, 2012, 02:07 AM
/me remembers seeing the "original" theatrical release of Star Wars back in the 1970s, back in the days before domestic VCRs.

neu5eeCh
October 31st, 2012, 02:38 AM
:confused: Oh Jeez... The last Star Wars films were bad enough, but Disney? That's seriously depressing. The next films are going to be for 3 year olds -- more babbling Teddy Bears with zippers down their backs and Light Sabre duels on yet more cliche'd precipices. No. I don't see this as good news at all. Lucas should butt out. Each of his films was progressively more dumbed down than the last. He's the last person they should be consulting. The best sequels to Star Wars were actually the gritty shorts made for the "Old Republic" Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGvAJ6-SsY

I don't think Disney has a gritty bone it its corporate body. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not going to count on it.

zombifier25
October 31st, 2012, 04:01 AM
PleasedontscrewthisupliketheprequelsPleasedontscre wthisupliketheprequelsPleasedontscrewthisuplikethe prequelsPleasedontscrewthisupliketheprequels

kevdog
October 31st, 2012, 05:13 AM
2015? Seems overly ambitious in my opinion.

arpanaut
October 31st, 2012, 06:10 AM
Older man cashes in, retires to pursue other interests, seems logical to me.
10 to 1 bet on new radical project is announced by Lucas within one year!
or maybe he has had enough and is looking for a good beach to hang on and lay back.

Whatever, he has provided many hours of entertainment to me over the years...
More power to the Man!

smellyman
October 31st, 2012, 08:35 AM
:confused: Oh Jeez... The last Star Wars films were bad enough, but Disney? That's seriously depressing. The next films are going to be for 3 year olds -- more babbling Teddy Bears with zippers down their backs and Light Sabre duels on yet more cliche'd precipices. No. I don't see this as good news at all. Lucas should butt out. Each of his films was progressively more dumbed down than the last. He's the last person they should be consulting. The best sequels to Star Wars were actually the gritty shorts made for the "Old Republic" Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGvAJ6-SsY

I don't think Disney has a gritty bone it its corporate body. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not going to count on it.

agreed!

HansKisaragi
October 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM
am I the only one who liked the last few films? *shrugs*

forrestcupp
October 31st, 2012, 03:54 PM

No. I liked them. I don't like The Clone Wars, but I liked the films. I even didn't mind Jar Jar Binks. People who rag on him forget the ewoks in the original trilogy.

I will say that I will always like episodes 4-6 best, no matter what Disney does.

johnnybgoode83
October 31st, 2012, 05:11 PM
When is copyright on Star Wars due to run out? Disney will do what they do with Mickey Mouse and lobby for copyright extensions so that it won't go into the public domain.

Linuxratty
October 31st, 2012, 05:15 PM

It looks that way...They got worse and worse as time went on imho.

neu5eeCh
October 31st, 2012, 05:22 PM

They had their moments, but that's the best I can say for them.

Originally, Lucas' intention was for 6 to end on the planet of the Wookiees rather than Ewoks. For whatever reason (possibly because they didn't have the digital capabilities and partly because Lucas might not have considered the Wookiees primitive enough) he created the Ewoks. You didn't need digital special effects to create Ewoks, just a bunch of really small people wearing costumes. I think Lucas ruined the last film (and set an unfortunate tone for the following movies) by over playing the simple-mindedness of the Ewoks, their silliness and their "cute" naivety. (This was all part of the mythological archetype recognized by Joseph Campbell -- the much weaker combatant overcoming the much more powerful opponent.) Even Williams' Ewok theme, in my opinion, over emphasized the silliness of these creatures. The Empire wasn't brought down by a primitive but heroic culture (which was originally the Wookiees) but by waddling and intentionally laugh-provoking Teddy Bears. Lucas missed the mark. There was nothing "heroic" about these overstuffed Makaks. Instead of pathos, the movies ended in bathos. Unfortunately, Campbell (who Lucas had been consulting with) died prior to the "6th" movie. I sometimes wonder whether Campbell would have steered Lucas away from the Teddy Bear ending. In my judgement, Lucas has a good grasp for storyline, but too often veers from pathos into triviality wherever emotional complexity is called for.

My concern is that Disney will pick up on the bathos and run with it. Their audience is kids, not adults.

qamelian
October 31st, 2012, 05:25 PM
I felt the same way until I saw "John Carter". That definitely didn't feel like a Disney film to me.

forrestcupp
October 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Originally, Lucas' intention was for 6 to end on the planet of the Wookiees rather than Ewoks. For whatever reason (possibly because they didn't have the digital capabilities and partly because Lucas might not have considered the Wookiees primitive enough) he created the Ewoks. You didn't need digital special effects to create Ewoks, just a bunch of really small people wearing costumes. I think Lucas ruined the last film (and set an unfortunate tone for the following movies) by over playing the simple-mindedness of the Ewoks, their silliness and their "cute" naivety. (This was all part of the mythological archetype recognized by Joseph Campbell -- the much weaker combatant overcoming the much more powerful opponent.) Even Williams' Ewok theme, in my opinion, over emphasized the silliness of these creatures. The Empire wasn't brought down by a primitive but heroic culture (which was originally the Wookiees) but by waddling and intentionally laugh-provoking Teddy Bears. Lucas missed the mark. There was nothing "heroic" about these overstuffed Makaks. Instead of pathos, the movies ended in bathos. Unfortunately, Campbell (who Lucas had been consulting with) died prior to the "6th" movie. I sometimes wonder whether Campbell would have steered Lucas away from the Teddy Bear ending. In my judgement, Lucas has a good grasp for storyline, but too often veers from pathos into triviality wherever emotional complexity is called for.I don't agree that the Ewoks ruined it. I think they added some lightheartedness to a serious situation, and also added to the sense of celebration after the victory. It's not bad for a dramatic movie to have bits of comedy relief. If you'll look back through all of the original movies, the ewoks were not the only lighthearted, goofy things they had.

I felt the same way until I saw "John Carter". That definitely didn't feel like a Disney film to me.I've wanted to see that movie since they first announced it, and I still haven't seen it.

philinux
October 31st, 2012, 06:46 PM
The films were aimed as family entertainment. My kids loved the ewoks and all the rest of it.

I think they were about 10 and 12 at the time we saw Return of the Jedi.

qamelian
October 31st, 2012, 08:11 PM
I've wanted to see that movie since they first announced it, and I still haven't seen it.
It wasn't the story as I would have liked to see it, but it was still a very watchable film. They took a few liberties, but it was still a solid way for a fan of ERB's books to kill a bucket of popcorn.
:popcorn:

KiwiNZ
October 31st, 2012, 08:25 PM
The Stars Wars series was good escapism and entertainment, they are considerably better than most of the garbage peddled by tinsel town including a tedious trilogy about a ring.

fontis
October 31st, 2012, 08:45 PM
Well.. I have a bit of mixed feelings towards this. Not that he sold the franchise, I couldn't care less.

I mean, the Star Wars universe has been milked to kingdom come afaik. Tons of crappy games, merchandise and what not trying to muster the very last drip of juice remaining from it.
For him, it makes sense. Sell it at it's peak and get your moneys worth for it I suppose.

Regarding the new movies.. Man I can't see anything good come out of it. I bet Episode 7 will be some crappy semi-animated, singing-fest, like the rest of the crap Disney lets out.

But hey, the Star Wars brand is a powerful recognized brand with tons of following, and given the current trend, it isn't so hard to understand why Disney would want to pursue the same thing as everyone else seems to be doing atm (Die Hard 4+, Bourne movies, etc).

I'll probably watch them anyway, because I'm bored. But it's not really something I'm excited about :)

eddier
October 31st, 2012, 09:14 PM
Yay! "Star Wars-The Musical-episode IV" or "Star Wars-The Revenge of The Nuns-Episode XIV" or "Star Wars-The Dalmatians Come Home-Episode VVI"

I think they have bought a gravy-less train.

eddie

lisati
October 31st, 2012, 09:19 PM
Let us not forget that it's about entertainment and escapism. Part of the deal with such things is one man's treasure is another man's junk.

localhost8080
October 31st, 2012, 09:29 PM
everyone was talking about this at work today, not sure im really interested that much, but disney is HUGE, so they might make a good team...

qamelian
October 31st, 2012, 10:58 PM
The Stars Wars series was good escapism and entertainment, they are considerably better than most of the garbage peddled by tinsel town including a tedious trilogy about a ring.
You're welcome to your opinion, even when it's wrong. :)

blackbird34
November 1st, 2012, 12:26 AM

Lol, KiwiNZ at his best :popcorn:

I agree

forrestcupp
November 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
The Stars Wars series was good escapism and entertainment, they are considerably better than most of the garbage peddled by tinsel town including a tedious trilogy about a ring.What?! Blasphemy! Hopefully, you're only referring to the movies, which I'll admit that Peter Jackson did a good job of skewering. I can't wait to see how he stretches one smaller book (The Hobbit) into three movies. If he manages to still leave stuff out, I'll be pretty upset.

Regarding the new movies.. Man I can't see anything good come out of it. I bet Episode 7 will be some crappy semi-animated, singing-fest, like the rest of the crap Disney lets out.
No way. Like people have been saying, Disney has been buying up a lot of other studios and IPs, and they have been doing a great job about with them, especially Marvel. The funny thing about this is that my nephew, who is a big Spiderman fan, was just telling me about how the latest Spiderman reboot is much better than the earlier ones, and he loved the earlier ones. And now he is mad that Disney will be putting out Star Wars movies because they're going to make them all kiddy and musical. He doesn't even realize that he is contradicting himself because Disney is the one that put out the Spiderman reboot that he thinks is so great.

Edit: I'm wrong about that. It was Sony Pictures Entertainment that put out the new Spiderman. But the point is still valid that Disney has recently done a great job not screwing up IPs that they have bought. Just look at how they didn't screw up Iron Man 2, Thor, The Avengers, and Captain America.

sffvba[e0rt
November 1st, 2012, 01:24 PM
You're welcome to your opinion, even when it's wrong. :)

qft.

pompel9
November 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM
I like the three first made movies, 4-6. The three latest was garbage, 1-3.

Disney has made some great movies, like pirates of the caribbean.

Pirate Zoro
November 2nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
I've been seeing this argument going around a lot today, whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. And here's my two cents: It can only be a good thing. People have been saying that Lucas sold out his franchise, and he did, but not with this. He sold out 15 years ago when he re-released the original trilogy with the updated effects, and everything afterwards, be it the prequels or this merger, have just been extensions of that. George Lucas has shown with the prequels (though I found them fun, they were severely flawed) that a fresh take on the franchise is needed. Disney provides that, and it could only be a good thing. Saying Disney would only make them childish and dumbed down? Again, the prequels already did that. And for proof that it doesn't have to be so anyway, look at the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, which are extremely dark and gritty (Jack Sparrow not withstanding), or the more recent example, the Avengers, AKA the HIGHEST GROSSING SUPERHERO FILM OF ALL TIME. Most of the arguments don't hold any water as far as I'm concerned. Disney has done very well with acquired properties, and I see absolutely no reason not to expect the same here. It's just a bunch of people getting butthurt because "change = bad, me no like change" which is basically what it all boils down to.

forrestcupp
November 2nd, 2012, 01:27 PM
If you can look at it all objectively, the prequels were not any more childish than the originals. It's just that we watched the originals when we were kids, and they seemed grown up. Then we watched the prequels as adults, and they seemed more childish. So now we have those prejudices. The prequels really aren't any more childish and less gritty than the originals. Just rewatch episode 3 and try to tell me that. Episode 3 was the darkest movie of all 6.

SantaFe
November 3rd, 2012, 02:30 AM
Oh look, it's Darth Mickey!!!!! Ooooh scary!.

Could be worse though, can you say Howard The Duck 2??????:popcorn::)

zer010
November 3rd, 2012, 02:43 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol

standingwave
November 3rd, 2012, 02:53 AM
Leia Organa is now one of the panoply of Disney princesses.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/3029p1t.jpg

Copper Bezel
November 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Oh God, you're right. That's pretty win, there.

qamelian
November 4th, 2012, 12:21 AM

Don't diss the Duck! To date, "Howard the Duck" is still my favourite Lucas movie. It didn't have the punch of the comic it was based on, but I still loved it! :)

Dale61
November 4th, 2012, 03:36 AM
How I read the of the reported sale is that Disney will cough up something in the vicinity of US$4bill, with Lucas directing Ep7, but will be used as an adviser for Eps 8 & 9. Disney will then be solely responsible for bringing out at least 3 further episodes, 2 years apart.

Disney also takes over Industrial Light & Magic, responsible for some screen gems like the Back To The Future trilogy, The Bourne Supremacy / Identity, E.T., Avatar, the Harry Potter series, the Indiana Jones quadrilogy and the Jurassic Park trilogy, amongst others.

mips
November 5th, 2012, 12:40 PM
http://www.channel24.co.za/Movies/News/George-Lucas-to-donate-4bn-to-education-20121105

George Lucas to donate $4bn to education
2012-11-05 12:40

Los Angeles Star Wars mastermind George Lucas, who last week sold his company LucasFilm and the Star Wars franchise to Disney for a whopping $4.05bn, will donate the bulk of his windfall to funding education, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

"George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavours," a spokesperson for Lucas said.

On Tuesday, the Walt Disney Company announced it had paid $4.05bn to acquire Lucasfilm, which produced Star Wars, has little to no debt, and is 100% owned by George Lucas himself.

Disney also announced plans to release a seventh Star Wars film, Star Wars: Episode VII, in 2015.

Lucas' deal with Disney is set to be finalised by the end of the year.

Lucas has yet to disclose which charity will be the beneficiary of the huge chunk of money. But Lucas currently serves as the chairman of Edutopia, a foundation that empowers innovative coursework in schools.

Lucas has made other generous donations to show his commitment to education in the past.

In a Giving Pledge letter from 2010, he wrote: "I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education. It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future and the first step begins with the social, emotional, and intellectual tools we provide to our children. As humans, our greatest tool for survival is our ability to think and to adapt as educators, storytellers, and communicators our responsibility is to continue to do so."

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger announced that Star Wars: Episode VII will be followed by Episodes VIII and IX. Disney's long-term plan is to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter, he added.

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM
http://www.channel24.co.za/Movies/News/George-Lucas-to-donate-4bn-to-education-20121105

That's a pretty deceptive title. He never said he is donating $4 Billion to education. He said he will be giving the majority to philanthropy. He could donate $2.5 Billion and keep $1.5 Billion for himself, and it would still be the majority.

mips
November 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM
That's a pretty deceptive title. He never said he is donating $4 Billion to education. He said he will be giving the majority to philanthropy. He could donate $2.5 Billion and keep $1.5 Billion for himself, and it would still be the majority.

I just quoted the article. Even if he only donated 2.0001 billion it's still worth a mention.

forrestcupp
November 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I just quoted the article. Even if he only donated 2.0001 billion it's still worth a mention.

I agree. And I wasn't complaining about you, but just the title of the article. The only reason I was complaining was because I thought some new piece of info came out that I hadn't heard about yet.

I think it's awesome that he's being generous with his earnings.

KiwiNZ
November 6th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Don't under estimate the power of the Dark side, and never never dis DV, so don't make me destroy you.

qamelian
November 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Don't under estimate the power of the Dark side, and never never died DV, so don't make me destroy you.
The power of the Duck side? :)

KiwiNZ
November 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Donald has gone over to the Dark side

MisterGaribaldi
November 6th, 2012, 11:39 PM
@VT Poet:

Frankly, if they turned the next three into a series of kid-oriented musicals, that'd be an improvement, because at least there would be no pretense to it being a serious effort.

I dunno; Disney *did* give us The Black Hole and TRON, both of which at the time were pretty decent efforts. My most sincere hope is that the people they put in charge will be dedicated, hard-core Star Wars aficionados who will do the right thing, and force the issue internally within Disney to support them in doing so.

Otherwise... yeah, get ready for more schlock.

KiwiNZ
November 6th, 2012, 11:45 PM
@VT Poet:

Frankly, if they turned the next three into a series of kid-oriented musicals, that'd be an improvement, because at least there would be no pretense to it being a serious effort.

I dunno; Disney *did* give us The Black Hole and TRON, both of which at the time were pretty decent efforts. My most sincere hope is that the people they put in charge will be dedicated, hard-core Star Wars aficionados who will do the right thing, and force the issue internally within Disney to support them in doing so.

Otherwise... yeah, get ready for more schlock.

Darth Vader will MAKE Disney cool:cool:

sffvba[e0rt
November 6th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Darth Vader will MAKE Disney cool:cool:

Well if he can't, who can?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ceOZPQzlkY0/T2fKg32pTyI/AAAAAAAADZc/PQ_JJKiyCMk/s320/cool+vader.jpg

MisterGaribaldi
November 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ceOZPQzlkY0/T2fKg32pTyI/AAAAAAAADZc/PQ_JJKiyCMk/s320/cool+vader.jpg

One Franchise To Rule Them All...

KiwiNZ
November 6th, 2012, 11:56 PM

There is another

sffvba[e0rt
November 7th, 2012, 12:07 AM
One Franchise To Rule Them All...

There is another

This threads win just went > 9000...

Paqman
November 7th, 2012, 08:09 AM
If you can look at it all objectively, the prequels were not any more childish than the originals. It's just that we watched the originals when we were kids, and they seemed grown up. Then we watched the prequels as adults, and they seemed more childish. So now we have those prejudices. The prequels really aren't any more childish and less gritty than the originals. Just rewatch episode 3 and try to tell me that. Episode 3 was the darkest movie of all 6.

The force is strong with this one.

Ep 1-3 haters, let go of your anger. For once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Let the kids have their Jar-Jar, just like we had the Ewoks and ridiculously obvious hand-puppet asteroid monsters. As long as the Wilhelm scream is in Ep7-9, all will be well.

mr john
November 9th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I agree the LOTR movies were terrible. However the books are very, very good.

I've always liked the art in star wars movies, but not really much the acting. Modern movies rely too much on CGI and that ruins it for me.

ToMang07
November 9th, 2012, 08:21 AM
These films are going to be extreme.....

Extremely good.....or extremely bad. And the fan fallout will be a riot to watch.

I'm hopefull that they do a good job with it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm just glad they got the film away from Lucas so he couldn't re-re-re-edit/master/release new versions.

Just saying.

ToMang07
November 9th, 2012, 08:22 AM

I've always liked the art in star wars movies, but not really much the acting. Modern movies rely too much on CGI and that ruins it for me.

I disagree. Although they may not have been completely accurate, the movies were excellent, especially the extended directors cuts.

StuFranks
November 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I don't like the idea of a new trilogy based after ep 6, I'd much rather see creation of a Knights of the Old Republic style trilogy released, I think that could be quite successful if done well :)

Ender Shadow
November 10th, 2012, 03:01 AM
I don't like the idea of a new trilogy based after ep 6, I'd much rather see creation of a Knights of the Old Republic style trilogy released, I think that could be quite successful if done well :)

Maybe that could be Episodes 10-12.

Artemis3
November 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Let the kids have their Jar-Jar, just like we had the Ewoks and ridiculously obvious hand-puppet asteroid monsters. As long as the Wilhelm scream is in Ep7-9, all will be well.

http://www.eeggs.com/images/items/3884.full.jpg

And don't forget the shoe... But at least we have Solo shooting in cold blood, the way it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bosSsgzgenA

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Maybe that could be Episodes 10-12.

It's Episodes -2-0

Ender Shadow
November 10th, 2012, 10:48 PM
It's Episodes -2-0

Uh-huh.
...How exactly would that work with Roman numerals?

El Tito
November 10th, 2012, 11:04 PM
If they follow the story of the books of episodes 7-9, it would be great. As simple as that, but the same situation occurred with episodes 1-3, they only had to follow the books ... this does not bode well.

SeanIM
November 11th, 2012, 02:41 AM
I have to agree on the LOTR movies...I definitely preferred the books.

As for Star Wars...I'm an old school fan too but honestly have come to enjoy the new stuff. I really don't mind all the CGI if done well...which imho they do.

:)