PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System broken after a crashed install.

Jerfo
October 31st, 2012, 01:16 AM
I would like to apologize if this has already been posted somewhere else but I did several searches and couldn't find anything useful.

Anyway, I was having several issues with 12.10 (I would get 10-20 messages about there bieng an issue or applications crashing everytime I started the computer, several programs stopped working, I couldn't fix ppa's etc.) so I decided to try and reinstall 12.10 using a liveusb instead of the upgrade, however, the reinstallation crashed quite early in the process (I was just choosing my keyboard configuration); when I tried again there was no option to reinstall ubuntu.

So my question is if there is any way in which I can repair it so that I don't have to erase everything and do a fresh install.

mörgæs
November 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Go for a fresh install. Faster and better than trying to rescue a system as damaged as yours appears to be.

darkod
November 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM
Also you might wanna consider 12.04 LTS instead of 12.10 normal release. The LTS has 5 years of support so once you configure things the way you like them, you don't have to upgrade or reinstall for a long long time.
Doing upgrades every 6 months with the new release is not a good practice anyway, too many things can go wrong with many subsequent upgrades.

As for saving this installation, it depends whether you have some very important data that you haven't backed up. If there is, it might be worth trying to get it out, and then doing a new clean install. If there is no important data, just do a new clean install over it and that's it.

Jerfo
November 2nd, 2012, 04:09 PM
My data is not backed up but there's nothing awfully important which can't be recovered, the really useful things are in ubuntuone and the remaining files are still accessible through the life session. I guess I'll go with your suggestions and go for a clean install, thanks.