PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Make tty console text smaller

dannyboy79
October 30th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I have a Mythbuntu 10.04 running but I disabled the windows manager (to save on resources) and I just run command line only. The text is so large that when I issue a command like

ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/
I can't read the entire line because the end letter is cut off because the console text is to large. I changed it to 8 from 16 using

dpkg-reconfigure console-setup even but it's still to large. Is there some other solution?

I also tried adding vga=791 after the boot line within menu.lst but I ended up with a garbled screen and I had to remove it as it made nothing come up on the screen.

CharlesA
October 30th, 2012, 05:49 PM
ssh in and do it that way. ;)

dodo3773
October 30th, 2012, 06:42 PM
This is an old thing and not sure if it still works/is what you're looking for:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

dannyboy79
October 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM
This is an old thing and not sure if it still works/is what you're looking for:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

i mispoke orginally, I had already ran that command and set it to 8. I called it console-tools, I meant console-setup. It still is no better using 8 versus 16. Oh well, guess I'll ssh in cause at least that way I can control the text of my terminal emulator whether it's lxterminal or gnome-terminal or whatever.

CharlesA
October 30th, 2012, 09:04 PM
When I booted up my 10.04 box, the resolution of the console was set automatically to the resolution of the monitor. Maybe it doesn't like your video card or something?