PDA

View Full Version : Question about legalization

alenn
October 30th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Hi all

If I find web site which allows me to download wallpapers for free, am I able to use those wallpapers in my commercial app, is it legal.

Zirts
October 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah, if they really allow you to download it for free. But if you are surfing in deviantart or something, and just right-click save every picture on sight then you probably need to ask some permissions from the artist before you do anything.

The Cog
October 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM
You will need to check the individual web-site's terms. But in general this kind of work is for personal use only so you will need to negotiate with the artist for permission.

sandyd
October 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Moved to Community Cafe

zombifier25
October 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
By merely posting this you have been logged under the RIAA and MPAA's records of possible copyright violators. Your Internet activities will be logged all the time and if they find anything shady, they'll disconnect you and sue your #*$ out.

You have been warned.

johnnybgoode83
October 30th, 2012, 03:46 PM
It depends on the licensing. If the images are under a Creative Commons license, go for it :guitar:

snowpine
October 30th, 2012, 03:49 PM
No, you may not download artwork for free from someone else's site and use it in your commercial app without their permission.

whatthefunk
October 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Copyright notice from HDWallpapers:
http://www.hdwallpapers.in/copyright-policy.html

COPYRIGHT POLICY :

for Users : Attention every visitor to this website. You can download anything from here for desktop purposes only. You do not have any permission to use any image commercially (in website backgrounds,wall backgrounds, printing for sale..like that). You must obtain the permission from the original copyright holder of that image for using them commercially.

Im guessing that most sites have similar policies. Downloading for personal use and using somebodys artwork for personal gain without their knowing are very, very different things.

Dave_L
October 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM
You also have to keep in mind that the content of a site may have been "stolen" from another site. So even if the site's license says you may use the content, you could still be violating the terms of the original copyright holder.

wojox
October 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I thought this was a Bob Marley thread. :P

ardentangel
October 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
The obscure answer is "it depends."

There are a lot of variables when dealing with copyright. Unless you have the artist's permission in writing, then you are on an icy slope with no handrails. Sometimes you can get something that works and won't get you in trouble and sometimes you can't. Believe me, when you can't it can be mega costly and the only people who profit are the lawyers.

The safe answer is, go buy something from a site that has commercial use images.

If you plan to use it for a business, then the safest answer is to have permission and the best way to get permission is to buy it from a site that deals in pictures for business use. With all the options out there, it is becoming ridiculously cheep to get images, so "free" with legal risk could be more expensive than paying to make sure you have permission. The other way is to make your own art for your site.

stinkeye
October 30th, 2012, 06:43 PM
No Wallpaper No Cry.
:-?

alenn
October 30th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you very much for clarification.