PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quicklists under 12.04

RogerD
October 30th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know how to get quicklists working with 12.04?

I quite like Unity - the left of the screen is a good place for a launcher, but I can't get on with the way I'm obliged to access multiple minimised files within a single application. Double clicking on the icon, and then trying to identify the file I want from the multiple images on my screen just seems clumsy. How much easier, as with Docky, to be able to right click on the application icon, and then scroll to the file I want.

There are a number of websites supposedly offering scripts for implementing the same thing under Unity, in the form of quicklists, e.g. at http://www.ubuntugeek.com/unity-window-quicklists.html:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:alanbell/unity
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install unity-window-quicklists

But when I try this, and othes a bit like it, nothing happens, and yes I have rebooted.

Help anyone?

Regards

Roger D

flint5
October 30th, 2012, 10:18 AM
You need this fix to work:

sudo sed -i 's/OnlyShowIn=UNITY/OnlyShowIn=Unity/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/unity-window-quicklists.desktop

RogerD
October 30th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I think I've already tried this. Here's what I get:

roger@main-desktop:~$ sudo sed -i 's/OnlyShowIn=UNITY/OnlyShowIn=Unity/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/unity-window-quicklists.desktop
[sudo] password for roger:
sed: can't read /etc/xdg/autostart/unity-window-quicklists.desktop: No such file or directory
roger@main-desktop:~$

flint5
October 30th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I have it installed on my ubuntu 12.04, and it works fine.
Are you sure you got it installed?

flint5
October 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Try to download the .deb file from here:
https://launchpad.net/~alanbell/+archive/unity/+sourcepub/2310146/+listing-archive-extra

Install it, use the fix, and reboot the system.

RogerD
October 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM
It's working!

Many thanks for your help.

Roger D

flint5
October 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
You're welcome!!!