PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Project Looking Glass

madinc
October 30th, 2012, 07:48 AM
For the ones that didn't know this project has ended long ago but you can see how it looked here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Looking_Glass
I really liked this project i had it installed in older versions of ubuntu and the question is.
can it still be installed on ubuntu 12.04??

Aarbron
October 30th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hello madinc,

Your post took me down memory, akin to C64 and Amiga dreams! My brother and I used to look for hours in our new Amiga Format magazine, dreaming of things to come. The same exact thing occurred with Project Looking Glass when we bought the then new copy of LXF. I've only recently come back into Linux and this thread of yours is a great what-might-have-been. I'm saddened to read the Project was canned. I would love for it be installable on Ubuntu! Any heads up would be greatly appreciated!

madinc
October 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hello madinc,

Your post took me down memory, akin to C64 and Amiga dreams! My brother and I used to look for hours in our new Amiga Format magazine, dreaming of things to come. The same exact thing occurred with Project Looking Glass when we bought the then new copy of LXF. I've only recently come back into Linux and this thread of yours is a great what-might-have-been. I'm saddened to read the Project was canned. I would love for it be installable on Ubuntu! Any heads up would be greatly appreciated!

Yes it's very sad for me too it was a great project ahead of it's time !!!! F@#%$#@ Apple would sue Sun if Sun moved forward to commercialize it, Steve Jobs claimed that the project was infringing Apple's IP. That could be the reason Sun stop it but apple and microsoft copied a few ideas from it those bastards.:twisted:

Aarbron
October 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Yep, can't believe (tongue in cheek comment) the Apple curse struck again.......

-edit-

In fact, the litigious activities of both ms and apple go waaaay beyond the nonsensical

madinc
October 30th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Yep, can't believe (tongue in cheek comment) the Apple curse struck again.......

You know what??:-D
I still have the debian packages i'm going to create a ubuntu 12.04 virtual machine and see if it still runs i will post the result later:confused:

Aarbron
October 30th, 2012, 01:00 PM
You know what??:-D
I still have the debian packages i'm going to create a ubuntu 12.04 virtual machine and see if it still runs i will post the result later:confused:

Keep me posted! Screenies will suffice, too 8)

madinc
October 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Keep me posted! Screenies will suffice, too 8)

Well i have tried in 12.04 and 10.04 it was a no go gave me some errors Xorg related while processing lg3d-core.](*,)](*,):mad:

Aarbron
October 31st, 2012, 01:30 PM
Damn!:cry: I would love for your little project to have succeeded - might have rekindled some interest in the Project. Hopefully someone important looks to reviving it.

zombifier25
October 31st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Too bad, since it was a really really cool project responsible for dropping thousands of jaws. But with Apple holding a lawsuit smiling and Sun's gradually disappearing interest (and Oracle buying Sun), we have no hope or reviving it.

The one software that might be capable of doing what it does is Compiz, but even Compiz's state doesn't look good.

madinc
October 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
The one software that might be capable of doing what it does is Compiz, but even Compiz's state doesn't look good.

I love compiz but lg3d had some unique features so many years later and still looks great you can only imagine how it would be now.:)