PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.10 running on Asus K53z AMD A4-3300M 1.9GHz

kenpachiZaraki
October 30th, 2012, 07:41 AM
First BUG to note.

- I have only just bought my inexpensive laptop (Asus k53z). I managed to install Ubuntu 12.10 along side of Windows 7 Prem. Originally had a problem with the grub not loading properly though after a bit of research all I had to do was install grub properly (there was no menulist). That problem fixed, boot my lappy and choose to run Ubuntu from the grub menu, though about 50% of the time I get a blank purple screen instead of the user login screen?!?!?!

Does anyone know of a solution already posted about this problem?

kenpachiZaraki
November 10th, 2012, 02:43 AM
- Second note

The battery seems to not last as long as it does in windows. I get 2 hours ubuntu battery time instead of 8 hours windows battery time.

Anyone know why this might be the case and any known solutions out there?!?!?

kenpachiZaraki
November 10th, 2012, 03:39 AM
- note three

If the computer falls into suspension mode, there is no way to wake system up; Pressing power button, space bar, touchpad, function keys; mashing the keyboard. Only way is forcing the system to shutdown (holding power button in for a few seconds) and then power on again will gain control again.

2F4U
November 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Please post your hardware specs. What graphics card and driver do you use?

kenpachiZaraki
November 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
my graphics card is: Radeon HD 6480G

im looking at the Xorg.0.log and am seeing:

[ 17.003] (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets:
"huge list..."

[ 17.006] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa

not sure of a more accurate way of checking for what driver is being used. I am also new to reading log files; wish there was a better guide/tutorial to read (read the one on ubuntu forums but it was quite brief and only gave a few commands and such, looking for a tutorial that would teach more on how to read them and what errors to look for etc...).

kenpachiZaraki
November 12th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Did this help?

kkoz83
April 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM
Hi, I just started with Ubuntu 12.10 (64 bit) so sorry for late addition. I also have an Asus K53Z with same graphics and I can't even try Ubuntu without freezing I used "nosplash noquiet nomodeset" and got in it enough to successfully install. Now Iget it stuck on the purple screen too. Any suggestions?