PDA

View Full Version : Is too much installed by default?

mamamia88
October 30th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Just curious if you think that too much is installed by default with ubuntu? And don't give me the you can remove it crap. What is the point of having a package manager if you are going to make choices for a user? Why install thunderbird if a user will probably end up using gmail? why install pidgin when the end user my never use it? why install a twitter client when people might just prefer to visit twitter on a webpage? if i can install whatever i want in about 30 seconds if i have a working internet connection why bother installing it for me? just give me a desktop environment, a browser in case i need to access how tos, and the software-centre/synaptic and i'll handle the rest. so what do you guys think?

robert shearer
October 30th, 2012, 05:16 AM
so what do you guys think?

I think that you know how to use a package manager, how you like your install to eventually behave, and you are familiar with Ubuntu. :-)

I think that Shuttleworths much trumpeted "200 Million New users" do not.

You can easily configure, remove, and customize.
They cannot.

As the install media has just pipped the cd limit and is now only just DVD sized expect it to grow to 'fill the available space' :-)

mamamia88
October 30th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I think that you know how to use a package manager, how you like your install to eventually behave, and you are familiar with Ubuntu. :-)

I think that Shuttleworths much trumpeted "200 Million New users" do not.

You can easily configure, remove, and customize.
They cannot.

As the install media has just pipped the cd limit and is now only just DVD sized expect it to grow to 'fill the available space' :-)

well i think that they should focus more on educating new users rather than putting stuff on their computer they may never touch. don't you think "install anything you want by clicking install" would be a huge selling point? that is something you can't do with windows or mac (i realize that mac created their own apps store and windows is following in their footsteps). What most users care about is ease of use,speed,and stability. They have come to expect in windows in mac that not everything is setup for them. For example you install windows you still have to go out and download your favorite programs. The answer to that shouldn't be "we took the liberty and installed libreoffice for you" it should be "look click a button and libreoffice is installed and automatically updated for you". I've moved on to arch but i admit it's not for everyone. You sell someone on an os by proving that in the long haul it will be better for them not by putting something on their computer than half the users may never touch. I'm not saying don't install anything by default i just think it should be better thought out. For example what percentage of ubuntu users actually use instant messaging and twitter? Jut put a few basic things like browser,office suite,pdf reader, and browser plugins. Maybe a simple music player and most average users would have 99% of what they need and the other 1% can be installed in 1 click

dniMretsaM
October 30th, 2012, 05:46 AM
No, I don't think so. If Joe User decides to try out Ubuntu and is greeted with "You don't have an office suite yet. Here, choose one!" He's not going to like that. "Normal" users want computers to just work. By having everything a user may need already installed, Ubuntu does that. And it does it much better than any other distro, in my opinion.

robert shearer
October 30th, 2012, 05:47 AM
well i think that they should focus more on educating new users rather than putting stuff on their computer they may never touch. don't you think "install anything you want by clicking install" would be a huge selling point? that is something you can't do with windows or mac (i realize that mac created their own apps store and windows is following in their footsteps). What most users care about is ease of use,speed,and stability. They have come to expect in windows in mac that not everything is setup for them. For example you install windows you still have to go out and download your favorite programs. The answer to that shouldn't be "we took the liberty and installed libreoffice for you" it should be "look click a button and libreoffice is installed and automatically updated for you". I've moved on to arch but i admit it's not for everyone. You sell someone on an os by proving that in the long haul it will be better for them not by putting something on their computer than half the users may never touch. I'm not saying don't install anything by default i just think it should be better thought out. For example what percentage of ubuntu users actually use instant messaging and twitter? Jut put a few basic things like browser,office suite,pdf reader, and browser plugins. Maybe a simple music player and most average users would have 99% of what they need and the other 1% can be installed in 1 click
Fixed...."I'm an Arch user and Ubuntu installs too much useable software"

mamamia88
October 30th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Fixed...."I'm an Arch user and Ubuntu installs too much useable software"

it's usable but if the user doesn't use it it's a waste of space. and guy above this post. i'm not saying don't install anything by default i'm saying be smart about what's installed. think what the end user will probably need and install that but don't go installing an im client,twitter and facebook apps,and thunderbird. i don't do instant messaging, i do facebook,twitter,and email in my browser and i'm sure a bunch of people do the same. if an end user wants a twitter app they should search twitter in the software center. i need a car. i expect my car to come with tires, a steering wheel,transmission,and other critical components. for most people this satisfies. if i want more i order it custom. it's nice to have my *** warmed and massaged but i don't need it in the stock package. and with the software center it's easy to get it custom.

LillyDragon
October 30th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I don't think it installs enough, honestly. With the latest LTS, Precise Pangolin, they removed perfectly useful applications like the Menu Editor and even Synaptic Package Manager from the base installation, which are huge stables to the usability of Ubuntu out-of-the-box, IMO. There are a lot of packages you can't install without Synaptic (Such as LAME MP3 support or the sounds package for FreeCiv.) and you can't reorganize your menu, if it becomes messy, without the Menu Editor.

Both are too small to not include with the Live CD. I know you can install them from the Software Center easily, among other possibly missing apps, but that doesn't mean the less savy Linux users are going to know that up front.

Heck, I didn't like it when they stopped including GParted with the Live CD and installation, so maybe I'm just being stubborn to change here. =P

zombifier25
October 30th, 2012, 06:34 AM
it's usable but if the user doesn't use it it's a waste of space. and guy above this post. i'm not saying don't install anything by default i'm saying be smart about what's installed. think what the end user will probably need and install that but don't go installing an im client,twitter and facebook apps,and thunderbird. i don't do instant messaging, i do facebook,twitter,and email in my browser and i'm sure a bunch of people do the same. if an end user wants a twitter app they should search twitter in the software center. i need a car. i expect my car to come with tires, a steering wheel,transmission,and other critical components. for most people this satisfies. if i want more i order it custom. it's nice to have my *** warmed and massaged but i don't need it in the stock package. and with the software center it's easy to get it custom.

Just because you don't need certain softwares doesn't mean other people don't too. Ubuntu is designed to be an OS for the mass, so it is supposed to have a lot of essential softwares so that it meets the demands of a large audience. Even still, of the mainstream OSes (Windows, Mac, Ubuntu), Ubuntu is the lightest of the three, so I don't know why you're complaining.

In fact, I think Ubuntu does not have enough software installed by default.

Paqman
October 30th, 2012, 06:42 AM
just give me a desktop environment, a browser in case i need to access how tos, and the software-centre/synaptic and i'll handle the rest. so what do you guys think?

Ubuntu does give you the option of installing exactly that system, or any particular combination of software you prefer. That's exactly the kind if thing the minimal image is designed for. You can install a system that has only what you actually want.

The standard desktop image is designed to contain a good selection of defaults that cover a range of common desktop tasks, it isn't designed to be minimalistic. If you want minimalistic, the mini.iso is for you.

bra|10n
October 30th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I won't get involved in whether Ubuntu does or doesn't install too much by default, but I will raise the idea of meta-packages and suggest that this is a much under utilised option IMO.
One could install an Ubuntu base to begin with and then select from any number of descriptive install types, not necessarily just server or desktop. The option to then uncheck (or check!) from a list of applications at the install stage would be a further boon for Ubuntu, and minimise the breakage that often comes with trying to unload 100's of packages from a full install.

robert shearer
October 30th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I won't get involved in whether Ubuntu does or doesn't install too much by default, but I will raise the idea of meta-packages and suggest that this is a much under utilised option IMO.
One could install an Ubuntu base to begin with and then select from any number of descriptive install types, not necessarily just server or desktop. The option to then uncheck (or check!) from a list of applications at the install stage would be a further boon for Ubuntu, and minimise the breakage that often comes with trying to unload 100's of packages from a full install.

Would the complete newbie to Linux even know what a meta-package is let alone which one best suits their needs ?. :-)

Though I like your idea and subscribe to it already as(I suspect) many other Ubuntu users do..
eg.. A command line install then add lubunt-core ( for a minimal desktop without all the social media apps etc) then add the Cinnamon desktop PPA (and the unity-greeter) so as to have snappier performance on my older hardware and a 'Gnome2-like' interface that I am comfortable with.

madinc
October 30th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Just because you don't need certain softwares doesn't mean other people don't too. Ubuntu is designed to be an OS for the mass, so it is supposed to have a lot of essential softwares so that it meets the demands of a large audience. Even still, of the mainstream OSes (Windows, Mac, Ubuntu), Ubuntu is the lightest of the three, so I don't know why you're complaining.

In fact, I think Ubuntu does not have enough software installed by default.

I have to agree with you on that...

Paqman
October 30th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Would the complete newbie to Linux even know what a meta-package is let alone which one best suits their needs ?. :-)

Nope, which is why we have a perfectly usable default desktop image, just for them.

I wrote a script for automating a roll-your-own system using the minimal image a while ago:

http://andyduffell.com/techblog/?page_id=396

I've not got around to updating it for Quantal yet and it desperately needs some love, if there's some demand I'll get stuck in.

monkeybrain2012
October 30th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I guess it depends on your need. I don't think it is the question of too much or too little, but what is being installed by default. I find many essential packages are not installed by default if you need to do some customization or administrative tasks: gconf-editor, gnome-tweak-tool, ccsm, dconf-tools, synaptic, gdebi, gnome-system-settings etc. These are my must haves. On the other hand, I always remove the games and a lot of unneeded localization packages as well as evolution /thunderbird. Most home users I know don't use a email client to read email.

kow777
October 30th, 2012, 08:50 AM
It think Ubuntu is alright where it is. When I install a new system, I install a few applications (Xchat, Lightread, VitualBox). Not much else is need, in my opinion. It contains enough software, for a normal user, to get things done. I don't think you need to include multiple applications that do the same thing. I do wish that there was a nice and easy way to pick what "bundles" of software I could choose to install, much like the way Fedora does on the dvd releases. I would like to not include games and some other things in my install, but that is just me. I do hope that Canonical and the rest do not decide to pack as much software as possible into the dvd image, now that it has been switched the to the larger format.

mastablasta
October 30th, 2012, 09:24 AM
if i can install whatever i want in about 30 seconds if i have a working internet connection why bother installing it for me?

and people that have only poor mobile connection. if they can even afford it (such as people in developing countries where prepaid internet is used and conneciton is erratic at best). or somewhere where normal phone modes are still used. how would they install it then?

or you plan to pay for optic cable to be layed to their doorstep and give them free access so they can preety much install every application from software centre for free in 30 sec? :P

i would actually like to see a bit more applicaitons. since now they went over CD size anyway i would say make it DVD size and fill up the DVD with usefull apps.

mikewhatever
October 30th, 2012, 09:40 AM

if i can install whatever i want in about 30 seconds if i have a working internet connection why bother installing it for me? just give me a desktop environment, a browser in case i need to access how tos, and the software-centre/synaptic and i'll handle the rest. so what do you guys think?

By exactly the same logic, I could argue, "Why install a browser and a browser or a DE? I may want different ones, and can install them in minutes". So, what about those who don't have a fast internet connection? ...or have download limits? Do you think Ubuntu is built for you only?

PS: Users like you should use the minimal ISO instead of complaining.

fat yak
October 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Most computer savvy people have their browser/email/media player preferences and will change it accordingly. But you need a base standard with sufficient packages that do the basics for those who just want Ubuntu to work. You'll be damned whichever way you go -- ditch the games though...

mamamia88
October 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
and people that have only poor mobile connection. if they can even afford it (such as people in developing countries where prepaid internet is used and conneciton is erratic at best). or somewhere where normal phone modes are still used. how would they install it then?

or you plan to pay for optic cable to be layed to their doorstep and give them free access so they can preety much install every application from software centre for free in 30 sec? :P

i would actually like to see a bit more applicaitons. since now they went over CD size anyway i would say make it DVD size and fill up the DVD with usefull apps.

yeah people in developing countries with no internet connection need an app to access twitter. and can you even get unity from the ubuntu iso without installing the ubuntu-desktop package and installing all the junk you don't want?

Paqman
October 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
and can you even get unity from the ubuntu iso without installing the ubuntu-desktop package and installing all the junk you don't want?

No. If that's what you want to do, you shouldn't be using the regular ISO.

rencemc
October 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I think it's better to have "too much" than "too little". The minute people try to do something such as playing a CD or watching a movie or downloading photos from a camera, and it doesn't work, they may become very frustrated with the distro or operating system. The more things that work or are available, the better. You can always get rid of anything you find you don't need after time.

mamamia88
October 30th, 2012, 01:51 PM
No. If that's what you want to do, you shouldn't be using the regular ISO.

i'm talking about mini iso. if i install a command line only system is there a package for just unity or do i have to install the ubuntu-desktop package to get unity?

Blackmag+c
October 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Why should there be any software installed by default except a browser, email, office and some low level graphics software? You don't need to lead people by the nose all the time. How do you install applications in windows? If you had never encountered it would you know?

I say leave it as bare as possible. There is too much of a focus on out of the box experience in the wrong area. I don't care whether it is shiny and has all my apps.

New users can read and learn.

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2012, 02:54 PM
On the other hand, it's just as easy to uninstall software as it is to install software. So why not preinstall a list of the most commonly used apps so people don't have to worry about it, and if you're knowledgeable enough to know that you're wasting space, then you can easily remove them?

The thing you're failing to take into account is that they did come up with a smart list of preinstalled software. Ubuntu is meant for the masses, not for the average geek hanging out in a dark basement in front of a computer screen. The main things the masses do is Twitter, Facebook, email, listen to music, and dump their digital pics from their camera onto their computer. As much as I hate to admit it, they did a smart thing when they removed Gimp because the mainstream would never care about it. I care about it, but my level of geekiness is above their target demographics, so they needed that space for software good for their target. No big deal; it's easy to install and uninstall software.

One of the selling points of Ubuntu is that it's not just a base OS. When I install Windows, I don't have an office suite; I don't have squat. When I install Ubuntu, I have a complete, usable system.

Paqman
October 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM
i'm talking about mini iso. if i install a command line only system is there a package for just unity or do i have to install the ubuntu-desktop package to get unity?

Yes, the package is called **drumroll** unity (http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/unity)! Note that it doesn't include lightdm, so you'd probably want to install that with it.

There generally are barebones packages available for all the DEs. Packages.ubuntu.com is a really good resource for checking out what's in the repos.

Frogs Hair
October 30th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I checked no , if I wanted a minimal Linux installation I would not use the Ubuntu standard installation. Even with Unity , Gnome Shell, and the XFCE session installed Ubuntu uses under 5 GB excluding my own files.

Though the social applications are not used I have no problem with them or other currently unused applications being installed.

Linuxisfast
October 30th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Nope, can do with more now that regular Ubuntu doesn't fit a CD anymore, language packs, drivers and codecs should be a part of the image, would save those who don't have a net connection during install to enable the proprietary drivers.

snowpine
October 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Ubuntu is a Linux "distribution" and I think perhaps reading the definition of "distribution" will help us to clarify/focus this discussion. Here's what wikipedia has to say:

A Linux distribution is a member of the family of Unix-like operating systems built on top of the Linux kernel. Such distributions (often called distros for short) are operating systems including a large collection of software applications such as word processors, spreadsheets, media players, and database applications. These operating systems consist of the Linux kernel and, usually, a set of libraries and utilities from the GNU Project, with graphics support from the X Window System. Distributions optimized for size may not contain X and tend to use more compact alternatives to the GNU utilities, such as BusyBox, uClibc, or dietlibc. There are currently over six hundred Linux distributions. Over three hundred of those are in active development, constantly being revised and improved.

Because most of the kernel and supporting packages are free and open source software, Linux distributions have taken a wide variety of forms—from fully featured desktop, server, laptop, netbook, mobile phone, and tablet operating systems as well as minimal environments (typically for use in embedded systems or for booting from a floppy disk). Aside from certain custom software (such as installers and configuration tools), a distribution is most simply described as a particular assortment of applications installed on top of a set of libraries married with a version of the kernel, such that its "out-of-the-box" capabilities meet most of the needs of its particular end-user base.

For those of you who disagree with this definition of what a distribution is, and think that Ubuntu should be something different, please check out the Minimal Install CD that the makers of Ubuntu have provided specifically for users like you: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

I have done minimal installs several times, it is easy and fun, and you get exactly the apps you want with no "junk" "useless apps" "bloat" or whatever you want to call them. (Keep in mind that those apps you are insulting were all developed by hard-working volunteers and shared with you at no cost!) Here is another how to with screenshots: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

Also please keep in mind the impact of a few unwanted apps on your system: a tiny amount of additional hard drive space. The apps you are complaining about use less than 1gb hard drive space combined (probably much, much, much less!) which if you assume a 1TB drive costs $100 is approximately 10 cents worth of storage.

jerrrys
October 30th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Not enough is install by default; I use the mini.iso :)

Erik1984
October 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
No, the balanced default software selection is one of Ubuntu's strong points.

gerowen
October 30th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Having not used Ubuntu for a few years and just put 12.10 on an extra laptop, I find it very nice and easy to fall into. It is "usable" out of the box, but doesn't make too many assumptions about what you do and don't want, at least in my opinion. The only complaint I had about pre-installed stuff was the shortcut to Amazon in the panel. That made my heart skip a beat as I remembered spending a couple hours immediately after buying every Windows PC I'd ever had, removing all the crapware and adware and installing Windows Updates before I could even start using it. It was easy enough to remove, but when I saw what appeared to be some pre-installed, corporate sponsored software in a Linux distribution, I almost fell over.

Eggnog
October 31st, 2012, 01:00 AM
I haven't installed 12.10 yet, and may not install it at all. I really don't see the need from my perspective. 12.04 is doing everything I need it to do.

As far as the question of whether too much is installed by default, I say no. Beyond having the ability to choose whether to install codecs and other restricted items during installation, one of Ubuntu's stonger points for most people is that it works out of the box and is stable. It has a broswer, powerful office suite, graphics program, and other things most people might be looking for or want to use. You don't have to go out and buy MS Office or Photoshop.

In my personal opinion new Linux users, for the most part, are not going to be happy installing an OS where they go to youtube and nothing plays, or they have no sound, or other annoyances. They want something that works, has what they want, and runs right after installation with minimal hassle.

mamamia88
October 31st, 2012, 04:19 AM
I haven't installed 12.10 yet, and may not install it at all. I really don't see the need from my perspective. 12.04 is doing everything I need it to do.

As far as the question of whether too much is installed by default, I say no. Beyond having the ability to choose whether to install codecs and other restricted items during installation, one of Ubuntu's stonger points for most people is that it works out of the box and is stable. It has a broswer, powerful office suite, graphics program, and other things most people might be looking for or want to use. You don't have to go out and buy MS Office or Photoshop.

In my personal opinion new Linux users, for the most part, are not going to be happy installing an OS where they go to youtube and nothing plays, or they have no sound, or other annoyances. They want something that works, has what they want, and runs right after installation with minimal hassle.
that's what i'm saying include a browser with all the nescessary plugins, and include all the nescessary codecs for mediaplayback. And then install a few mission critical apps and then leave the stuff that isn't nescessary out like social networking.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 31st, 2012, 05:36 AM
as a person who is using xubuntu 12.10 (cd size iso) definitely no
1. upgrade kernel to 3.6.3
2. purge 11 packages + kernel 3.5 pacakges
3. add repos & apt-get update
4. install 103 packages + dependencies (including nvidia driver and restricted extras)
5. purge 4 packages that were unneeded dependences

vasa1
October 31st, 2012, 06:33 AM
I like the Bodhi Linux approach.

Khakilang
October 31st, 2012, 08:12 AM
No. It's not too much. After all it is made for human beings.

mikewhatever
October 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM
that's what i'm saying include a browser with all the nescessary plugins, and include all the nescessary codecs for mediaplayback. And then install a few mission critical apps and then leave the stuff that isn't nescessary out like social networking.

That's obviouslty not possible because of various ideological and legal reasons. Social networking additions are debatable, but aren't really significant to belabor at such lenth.
I think the poll makes it clear that most users are happy with the default selection.

qamelian
October 31st, 2012, 11:25 AM
You mean the stuff that isn't necessary to you. For a variety of reasons, the social networking stuff is very much necessary for me. So is virtually everything else that comes in the default install. The only glaring exception in my case is that I immediately remove Thunderbird and replace it with Evolution, which suits my needs better.

mastablasta
October 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM
yeah people in developing countries with no internet connection need an app to access twitter. and can you even get unity from the ubuntu iso without installing the ubuntu-desktop package and installing all the junk you don't want?

they have the conneciton but it is usually slow. you have for example up to 3mbit but shared with the whole neighbourhood full of kids uploading photos on facebook and such over their cheap phones. also it's 3mbit when all conditions are good. usually it's about 10-15kbit/s and it usually has a limit of data you can transmit. now go and calculate how long it takes for that kind of conneciton to download libre office packages and then kknwo that you are limited to 1,2GB

snowpine
October 31st, 2012, 03:46 PM

1. Computer users in 2012 need/want social networking capabilities. Canonical has determined this with their market research and I happen to agree.

2. What is the performance impact on your system of having these social networking capabilities but simply not using them? Does that Empathy icon make your computer 10% slower, 20% slower, 50% slower??? I don't smoke, but my car has a cigarrette lighter, if I have my mechanic remove this "bloat" will my car accelerate faster, corner tighter, and get 70 miles per gallon?

Just don't click the icon if you don't need the app, it's simple really. Or do a minimal install, and then you won't have the icon in the first place!

uhgreen
October 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Software selection is very subjective. What works for one person won't work for another. There is the Arch way which is that the user explicitly installs which packages they want from the beginning (except for the base install which is necessary!). But Ubuntu is not Arch. Ubuntu is aiming for a different audience so I think what they have in the default installation is fine. It isn't like they're hiding the options to uninstall packages you don't want. I mean, really, how hard is it to uninstall the social media packages?

I'll honestly say that I don't think I've ever install a Linux distro and been upset with the package selection. Just remove what you don't need and install what you do. Easy.

snowpine
October 31st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Here is a partial list of features I did not use on my automobile today:

windshield wipers (it's sunny)
heater/defroster (it's warm)
air conditinoer (it's not that warm)
headlights (it's daytime)
lighter (I don't smoke)
airbag (I didn't crash)
trunk/boot (I didn't go shopping)
passenger seat (nobody likes me)

I demand that Honda immediately stop selling such bloated vehicles and design a car without these useless features I don't need!!! Then maybe I'll get that $25 car that gets 1,000mpg like I've been waiting for all these years.

malspa
October 31st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Just curious if you think that too much is installed by default with ubuntu? [...] so what do you guys think?

Looks like the poll results answered that quite well.

qamelian
October 31st, 2012, 05:34 PM

lighter (I don't smoke)
airbag (I didn't crash)

I demand that Honda immediately stop selling such bloated vehicles and design a car without these useless features I don't need!!! Then maybe I'll get that $25 car that gets 1,000mpg like I've been waiting for all these years.
Sounds like you could get away with a unicycle. :)

Blackmag+c
October 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM

lighter (I don't smoke)
airbag (I didn't crash)

A good analogy if ever I saw one.

snowpine
October 31st, 2012, 07:55 PM

Oh, you mean Gentoo? :)

Dale61
November 4th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I didn't vote as I'm swayed to both sides of the argument.

My first taste of Ubuntu was back at 6.06. When the installation had finished and I was able to regain control of my desktop, my first thought was 'WTF!'. All the new bells and whistles seemed to be too overwhelming and I didn't know where to start. So, with that, the first task was to download the Wiki so that I could gain a better understanding of what everything was, what it did, and where to find it. To me, at that time, there was far too much software installed that I needed.

In the versions to follow, I still downloaded the Wiki, but as I become more familiar with Ubuntu, I always installed what I was used to and removed the software I didn't need or had any use for.

Fast forward to 12.04 (the latest I have), and I knew what was going to be involved in getting my laptop how I wanted, with the software I wanted. That is why I think there isn't enough installed; enough of what I want!

So, for a newby, the initial experience is overwhelming enough so just let them get used to a totally new 'environment' that has everything they might EVER need, without the worry of having to go out and buy appropriate software (MSOffice, Photoshop, etc,). Just because it's not what the other kids are using doesn't mean it's not as useful.

I built my last desktop with the knowledge that I was going to install Ubuntu, so with that in mind, instead of allowing for whatever the cost of Windows was (at the time), I was able to allocate ALL my budget to hardware.

For experienced / long time Ubuntu users, some will think there is too much installed, whereas others will think the opposite, but for a newby, there is sufficient to get by and learn a new way of computing.

rushikesh988
November 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM
nah .... its not ...each app for each function ...