PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on a Nexus7?

mr-woof
October 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM
This looks quite interesting, i wonder how it would run on a nexus 7?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-13-04-Will-Run-on-the-Nexus-7-Tablet-302638.shtml

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

or is this old news?

Copper Bezel
October 30th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Yes - here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2076814)

It's a sort of test platform - nothing about Ubuntu is ready for mobile yet, but working with Nexus 7 is a way to start to address that. It's not usable.

jerrrys
October 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Yes its too new and buggy, but Im liking the idea.

fatality_uk
October 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Not old just pointless!
Phones/Tablets already have a pretty good Linux OS.
Unless Ubuntu will bring a killer feature...

KiwiNZ
October 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Not old just pointless!
Phones/Tablets already have a pretty good Linux OS.
Unless Ubuntu will bring a killer feature...

+1

I feel the market well and truly catered for, there is no place for yet another pretender.

jerrrys
October 30th, 2012, 10:14 PM
+1

I feel the market well and truly catered for, there is no place for yet another pretender.

The way I read it this is not a pretender, but a full blown ubuntu desktop. And that Im liking :)

Copper Bezel
October 30th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Eh. Yes and no. Ubuntu would not make as much sense as Android on something like the Nexus 7, but a 10" or 11" touch device with a keyboard, like MS Surface, might be able to squeeze just a little more out of Ubuntu than Android. I mean, I'm thinking of things that are meant to replace, rather than supplement, a notebook, like Surface is and Nexus 7 isn't. On the inside, an ARM tablet is an ARM tablet, so work on the 7" can translate over into 10" devices.

jerrrys
October 30th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Yes 10/12 inch would be better, but I do own a 7" Android and find the screen size usable. But I have learned that Android is just not what I want. I like the ubuntu desktop experience, not a pretender :)

localhost8080
October 30th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I saw a video about this yesterday.
it looks promising.

the main advantage over andriod is that you can apt-get install whatever you want [like all the backtrack tools....]

I think i might get one just to have a play about with it!!!

mr-woof
October 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM
i think it would probably be best on the new 10" tablet, i wonder if you could dual boot between android and ubuntu on a tablet?

localhost8080
October 30th, 2012, 10:51 PM
i think it would probably be best on the new 10" tablet, i wonder if you could dual boot between android and ubuntu on a tablet?

yeah, the 10" has a better screen res :D

if you can get grub on it then you could tripple boot ubuntu / andriod / windows 8 rt :|

Copper Bezel
October 31st, 2012, 01:58 AM
RT only ships on devices. You can't install it aftermarket, and you can't unlock the RT boot loader, so it can't be dual-booted with Android (or anything else.)

localhost, I've honestly found software installation much simpler on Android than in Ubuntu.