PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.10 software sources does not load

broomie
October 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hi folks

on two machines I upgraded (then re installed 12.10 -dreaded amd graphics issues!) although all happy at last - software sources does not work.

Either via panel or software centre it just does abot of disk activity and - nowt! Looked in syslog and failog - nowt too!

I ran it from command line too and it just returned in seconds new line no errors - nothing!

mystifies. Youcan add new ppsa by hand but I want to turn on additional drives and need sw sources for that!

puzzled

Paul

Androzani1
October 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
It could be that it isn't compatible with 12.10.

drmrgd
October 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Do you get any errors if you run:

sudo apt-get update

and

sudo apt-get upgrade

broomie
October 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hi and thanks for the fast response

both give no errors whatsoever on both machines!
Odd I know!

I also tried apt-get clean and re tried no errors.

Intriguingly in synpatic if I click on preferences itsays "package information hs been updated need to refresh" I refresh and it repeats same issue. No broken packages BTW.

thanks for helping me out here.

more news it does not always give a crash report but when trying prefrences again in synpatic I got applcation Softwate soucrces has cloed unxeptedly

software properties gtk crashed with unicodedecodeerror in record(): utf-8 codec can't decode byte0xe
seems itsa dupe gugs.launchpad.net/bus/1030471

Paul

broomie
October 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
This waqs just posted

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/1053749

its Davmail and a non UTF 8 character opening and saving as UTF 8 fixed it!

Hope this helps some other folks

Paul

schmy
November 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I too had the same issue, but not because of Davmail (I have no idea what that is.)
However, as described in that long page that Broomie last linked to, other programs like Scrivener appear to create the same problem. And to save those the trouble of reading that other page, the solution described goes like this:

Open Terminal:
sudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/status

You should see a Unicode-8 error. Just save the file without any changes and close Terminal.

(I'm a still a n00b, so I'm happy to take advice if this post is good/bad/etc.)

MikSam
March 2nd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Open Terminal:
sudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/status

You should see a Unicode-8 error. Just save the file without any changes and close Terminal.

This worked for me too.