PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I change desktop setting in ubuntu 12.04?

arroy_0209
October 29th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I upgraded from ubuntu10.04 to 12.04 and was not satisfied with the default desktop. The icons were arranged along a column at the left side of monitor. Initially I was told that the only way to avoid such pattern is to install other desktop so I installed lxde. But this presented another problem. Now I hear that using nautilus one can unset the default position of the icons on the desktop in 12.04. How can I do that? Can I create a horizontal panel at the bottom which was default in the 10.04 (actually was on top but configurable)? Please suggest steps for making these changes. Thanks.

ajgreeny
October 29th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Have a good long read of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370 which tells you how to get back to a DE similar to your 10.04 system.

paichkash
October 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
unity and gnome 3 are just a piece of **** .. i also tried to adjust with ubuntu 12.04 and did the same mistake as u did .. but unfortunatly i couldnt get used to it .. so i formated the hdd and installed ubuntu 10.04 .. the gold standard of linux ... and infact the new distros based on gnome 3 are based to just destroy the already little tiny linux user base ..

paichkash
October 29th, 2012, 02:45 PM
however try installing cairo dock and its from login select it .. i think it may be better or read on how to instaled mate in ubuntu ..