PDA

View Full Version : Preferable video cards?

rrrenzo
October 29th, 2012, 04:49 AM
So, I've been lurking in the forums for almost 2 years now, but its the first time I actually post (no need to, since mostly everything has been asked).

This is more an inquiry than a troubleshooting.
I'm planning to buy a new laptop soon, but Im not too sure about which gpu to use(cpu and ram shouldnt be a problem), so far its between:
intel HD graphics 3000 (sandy bridge GPU)
intel HD graphics 4000 (ivy bridge GPU)
NVIDIA GT 520M.

Of course, I don't expect to do heavy gaming on any of those, but do want to play left4dead 2 (probably the heaviest game Im gonna try).
Supposedly, any of those 3 can handle it (at some degree at least),and do have been compared, but, as expected, the comparisons found are based on windows systems, and since performance can vary with drivers, wasn't too sure how these comparisons would be reflected on linux.

So, the concrete questions would be:
Is there any preferable brand of GPU?
How do this GPUs perform on linux now and proyected in near future?
How should I take results of tests with windows?
any subjective/objective opinion will be appreciated.

offtopic: Im rather excited about steam - left4dead2 port to linux

Lucradia
October 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM
New Mobile units work best on the Ubuntu +1 version, especially the Wireless (which usually won't work when Ubuntu +1 releases as a normal release.)

Intel graphics will not work with most good games.

screaminj3sus
October 30th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Since you want to play l4d2 I'm going to lean towards the nvidia. Nvidia still has better performance than intel when it comes to gaming.

Diabolis
October 30th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Supposedly this is the order from best (first) to worse (last):

intel HD graphics 4000
NVIDIA GT 520M
intel HD graphics 3000

I would go for nvidia, because its not integrated and you could replace it later. However, since this is about a laptop go for intel 4000.

Source:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

monkeybrain2012
October 30th, 2012, 06:33 AM
If it is a laptop forget about Nvidia because of Optimus.

screaminj3sus
October 30th, 2012, 07:48 PM

Not all nvidia laptops have optimus, but you are right that its something you'd want to try to avoid.

monkeybrain2012
October 31st, 2012, 12:37 AM
Not all nvidia laptops have optimus, but you are right that its something you'd want to try to avoid.
Which one doesn't? I would be very interested to find out for myself.:)

Lucradia
November 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Which one doesn't? I would be very interested to find out for myself.:)

Same here, especially in the GTX 6##M series.

mastablasta
November 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM
they sell Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 here for 1113,97 EUR with GT 650 with Ubutnu preloaded. i doubt that the card doesn't work.

mips
November 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Is optimus still a big issue? As far as I know in Manjaro the installer takes care off all that for you.

Dlambert
November 12th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Is optimus still a big issue? As far as I know in Manjaro the installer takes care off all that for you.

+1 Haha

forrestcupp
November 13th, 2012, 12:13 AM
If you aren't concerned about heavy gaming, the Intel 4000 is definitely your best bet for Linux.