PDA

View Full Version : wubi installation

offgridguy
October 28th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I have a couple of questions regarding the wubi install. First I have read in this forum that
wubi is typically only a short term usage vehicle, for a trial of ubuntu . I can't recall an
explanation, so is this an accurate synopsis ?
Second , the last time I did a dual boot it installed great and worked fine, the problem came when i uninstalled. Lack of experience on my part, I wiped ubuntu,
corrupted the MBR and had to reinstall windows 7 from the recovery disk.
My question then wouldn't it be better to use wubi if there was even the slightest
thought that you may want to uninstall for whatever reason ?

I do have one computer with ubuntu as the only OS, and plan to keep it that way, I am
considering a dual boot on the other computer for experience as much as anything. I have been reading about wubi at sites like this;

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/the-extremely-simple-guide-to-installing-ubuntu.html

Thank you for your interest. :)

Rex Bouwense
October 29th, 2012, 12:35 AM
While it is true that most people use WUBI to check out Ubuntu (or Lubuntu) for a short period of time. There is no standard rule. That is one of the great things about Linux, you can generally do what you want to do. There are some limitations to a WUBI install but there are also advantages. Enjoy.

offgridguy
October 29th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Just to clarify, on one computer where I now have ubuntu, i plan to add lubuntu
and kubuntu but i want to keep it windows free.
On the other where I want to dual boot I will try xubuntu, the idea of the other buntu's was initially to try the other DE without modifying ubuntu. :)