PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] About version and administrator user??

omar ahmad
October 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
HI ,
i want to ask if there is a 32 bit version and 64 version in kubuntu and how can i know my version?
because i want to increase my RAM from 2 G to 4G and i dont know if iam going to use all 4 G or not??

and i want to delete a wallpaper in usr/share/wallpaper
but i got this message( Access denid to - file path- )
how can i make it?
thanks

mparillo
October 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Could it be wallpapers instead of wallpaper? Or you need to sudo?

mparillo@ubuntu:/usr/share$ cd wallpapers
mparillo@ubuntu:/usr/share/wallpapers$ ls
Ariya kde-default.png stripes.png stripes.png.desktop
mparillo@ubuntu:/usr/share/wallpapers$ rm kde-default.png
rm: cannot remove `kde-default.png': Permission denied
mparillo@ubuntu:/usr/share/wallpapers$ sudo rm kde-default.png
[sudo] password for mparillo:
mparillo@ubuntu:/usr/share/wallpapers$ ls
Ariya stripes.png stripes.png.desktop

drmrgd
October 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM
HI ,
i want to ask if there is a 32 bit version and 64 version in kubuntu and how can i know my version?
because i want to increase my RAM from 2 G to 4G and i dont know if iam going to use all 4 G or not??

and i want to delete a wallpaper in usr/share/wallpaper
but i got this message( Access denid to - file path- )
how can i make it?
thanks

To the first question, if you run from the terminal:

uname -a

That will give you all the info about your install, including the Linux kernel version and the architecture. If you see 'x86_64' you're running 64-bit.

AlexDudko
October 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM
uname -m
if the output will be x86_64 then it's a 64-bit version.

deadflowr
October 28th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Making any changes to system files or folders, you'll need root privileges. Since Ubuntu disables root by default, you use the sudo command to grant you temporary escalated privileges.
So for example, using the command
rm /usr/share/wallpaper/wallpaper.png, will result in permission denied. Where as, adding sudo in front will give you the rights to rm(remove) the file.

omar ahmad
October 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM
for the command

uname -a
the output
Linux kubuntu 3.2.0-32-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:32:50 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
so it is 32 right?
any extra inf. should i know from the output?

for the secound one

sudo rm /usr/share/wallpapers/Ariya
the output
rm: cannot remove `/usr/share/wallpapers/Ariya': Is a directory
so how can i make it ?
and any way to remove it via Dolphin program ? as easy as WINDOWN (Rt .click - delete)
thanks

PaulW2U
October 29th, 2012, 07:12 AM
uname -a
the output
Linux kubuntu 3.2.0-32-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:32:50 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
so it is 32 right?

Yes, i686 means you have a 32-bit OS.

and any way to remove it via Dolphin program ? as easy as WINDOWN (Rt .click - delete)

Yes, press Alt-F2, type kdesudo dolphin, navigate to directory and delete it.

Take care to delete only the directory you want to delete as you will have root privileges which will allow you to delete just about anything.

omar ahmad
October 29th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Yes, i686 means you have a 32-bit OS.

so can the 32 see the 4G ram??

Yes, press Alt-F2, type kdesudo dolphin, navigate to directory and delete it.

Take care to delete only the directory you want to delete as you will have root privileges which will allow you to delete just about anything.

i made it but any way to continuo with root access or i have to type kdesudo dolphin everytime??

thanks

AlexDudko
October 29th, 2012, 07:53 AM

thanks

Yes, if you install pae kernel.

drmrgd
October 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM

i made it but any way to continuo with root access or i have to type kdesudo dolphin everytime??

thanks

To your second question, running 'kdesudo' Dolphin launches Dolphin with root privileges. It is the equivalent of using sudo in the command line. So, as long as you have the Dolphin window opened with kdesude, you'll have root access and will be able to do whatever you like (so be careful!). When you close the window, that will end root access in Dolphin, and if you need to get it again, you'll have to issue 'kdesudo Dolphin' again.

Incidentally, the error you got when you tried to remove the directory from the command line was because you need to add '-r' for directories since it is a recursive deletion. The command should have been:

sudo rm -r /usr/share/wallpapers/Ariya

omar ahmad
October 31st, 2012, 02:45 PM
To your second question, running 'kdesudo' Dolphin launches Dolphin with root privileges. It is the equivalent of using sudo in the command line. So, as long as you have the Dolphin window opened with kdesude, you'll have root access and will be able to do whatever you like (so be careful!). When you close the window, that will end root access in Dolphin, and if you need to get it again, you'll have to issue 'kdesudo Dolphin' again.

Incidentally, the error you got when you tried to remove the directory from the command line was because you need to add '-r' for directories since it is a recursive deletion. The command should have been:

sudo rm -r /usr/share/wallpapers/Ariya

thanks for your help