PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to restart gnome-shell?

Drone4four
October 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM
After killing a process, what is the bash syntax to indicate a follow up command? I tried ‘kill 3171 && gnome-shell’ for example, but that doesn’t work.

I am trying to kill and restart my gnome-shell...If I kill the gnome-shell id with top, then all my open windows revert to my first workspace...I want to maintain my 43 windows organized in their respective workspaces as I restart my gnome shell. Gnome 3.0 did this automatically...like I could just kill the gnome-shell process id and it would restart automatically and all the windows would still be in the correct workspace...but starting in Gnome 3.2, if my memory serves me correctly, I’d lose all my boarders around the windows and I would have to use a virtual terminal to kill the X server and then I would have to start up all my applications again...The same is true for Gnome 3.4.1 which I am running on 64bit Ubuntu 12.04 right now.

I Googled ‘restart gnome shell’ and I found a really useful ‘cheat sheet’ which says that you can restart the Gnome window manager by initiating ALT + F2 and then typing either ‘r’ or ‘restart’... This is sort of what I am looking for, but upon trying it out, while it does kill gnome-shell, upon restart it crashed. I lost all my workspaces and I couldn’t ALT + TAB to a console to type gnome-shell to start it up again. I logged into a VT and killed the X server. This is exactly the problem I was trying to avoid. I entered startx but it gave me some BS about an nvidia driver module error. I rebooted and surprisingly X loaded without any errors. Alas, I had to open all my programs again.

What else could I try to restart gnome-shell?