PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installed 12.10 and now Nvidia drivers won't work.

Cammy
October 28th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I was running 12.04 and on Friday I installed 12.10 from USB. Everything went fine, but I'm having some video problems.

I am running an nvidia 9500GT with dual monitors and a KVM switch that switched the primary monitor between my ubuntu machine and my Win7 machine.

When I go into software sources in Ubuntu , then to the "Additional Drivers tab and enable the nvidia drivers, a reboot gives me only one working monitor and no titlebars, no menus, no nothing except for the desktop.

Fortunately a right click gets me to the change background screen, and from there I can get back to software sources and get back to the Nouveau driver.

I'd like to figure out how to use the nvidia driver, because with the Nouveau driver, when I switch to my windows machine and ubuntu can't "see" my primary monitor, it kicks my resolution down to basic VGA settings (which is a problem of it's own).

Any advice on getting the nvidia driver to work? It worked fine in 12.04.

bogan
October 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Hi!", Cammy,

{Assuming you can get to a Terminal, ['Crtl+Alt+t' or 'Crtl+Alt+F1'] }

There is a bug around that causes the problem you Posted, due to the 'linux-headers-generic' not being installed.
Run:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-genericIf it says " already the latest version" then the cause is something else.

If it installs, then:
sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-current # substitute package name you installed
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current # substitute package name you want installed.Then reboot.

Chao!, bogan.

Cammy
October 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Thanks bogan! They installed, so let me see how that goes.

EDIT: Yep! Looks like I'm on the proper driver now. Thanks!