PDA

View Full Version : Last version of Ubuntu to use Gnome as default interface

wpshooter
October 28th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I have a friend that I want to introduce to Ubuntu and I want to give him a LIVE CD version so he can sort of get the feel of it.

However, I don't want to give him a version that has the Unity interface and wind up turning him off the very first thing. Your opinion may differ but mine is that Unity is not to my liking - and I don't think I am alone on this thinking - see link.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linus-torvalds-finds-gnome-3-4-to-be-a-total-user-experience-design-failure/11127

So, what is the latest version of Ubuntu that had Gnome as the default interface.

Yes, I know that Gnome type interface can be added to the latest versions but not to the LIVE CD version, which is what I want to give my friend for a look see.

Thanks.

kostkon
October 28th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Your opinion may differ but mine is that Unity is not to my liking
You could let your friend make up his/her mind, too. If the current version of Ubuntu has unity, then what can you do.

what is the latest version of Ubuntu that had Gnome as the default interface.
All versions of ubuntu that came with gnome2 have reached EOL (except 10.04, but it has only 5 months left). I wouldn't recommend you to give to your friend an unsupported version that will be full of security holes (and first and foremost an old version Firefox, i.e. the browser, the primary user level app that comes in contact with the web).

You could offer him/her xubuntu but that obviously isn't ubuntu.

Frogs Hair
October 28th, 2012, 01:58 AM
10.04 is the only Gnome 2 release still supported. 11.04 support ends in five hours here.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

BertN45
October 28th, 2012, 02:10 AM
You missed the point completely in that article, the title is:
"Linus Torvalds finds GNOME 3.4 to be a total user experience design failure". In simple words GNOME 3 sucks according to the inventor of Linux.
Of course you can use Ubuntu 10.04, but that version has only half a year of support left. If your friend knows windows 7, you better show him Ubuntu 12,04 or 12.10 else he will surely be turned off directly by the old fashioned GUI of GNOME 2 used in Ubuntu 10.04.

Xubuntu 12.xx could be a alternative too.

offgridguy
October 28th, 2012, 02:21 AM
I have a friend that I want to introduce to Ubuntu and I want to give him a LIVE CD version so he can sort of get the feel of it.

However, I don't want to give him a version that has the Unity interface and wind up turning him off the very first thing.

As a recent ubuntu user, { 4 mo. } who has never used anything but the unity interface,
What actually is the turnoff? :confused:

malspa
October 28th, 2012, 02:25 AM
You could show your friend Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10, unless your feelings about GNOME Shell are similar to your feelings about Unity. But I'd say that if your friend has a brain (and I'm betting that he does), it's better to let him use it and make up his own mind about Unity. Some people (myself included) think that Unity is quite nice, believe it or not.

malspa
October 28th, 2012, 02:31 AM
As a recent ubuntu user, { 4 mo. } who has never used anything but the unity interface,
What actually is the turnoff? :confused:

In a nutshell, people got used to something else. I don't know, I've used a lot of different interfaces since I started using Linux, and I'm fine with Unity. Other people, they just want the old GNOME 2 back, I guess.

jerrrys
October 28th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Gnome remix also has Gnome classic, but still a work in progress. I do not think it good for someone new.

Give your friend two CD's. Ubuntu 12o4 and Xubuntu

8grod
October 28th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Personally, I'd just give them a Mint CD. It's just plain easier, honestly.

cariboo
October 28th, 2012, 09:57 AM
My suggestion would be not to just hand your a friend a Live CD, but install and setup Ubuntu with most of the commonly used programs using Unity, as that is the most widely used DE at the moment. Also be willing to do hands on as well as phone support for at least a year, as anything else will more than likely lead to another disgruntled user that'll go back to Windows without a second glance.

Whether you like Unity or not shouldn't have any baring on how you create a great Ubuntu experience for your friend.

This isn't a support question, so moved to the Cafe.

zerubbabel
October 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Give him a Kubuntu live CD instead.

wpshooter
October 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Give him a Kubuntu live CD instead.

Haven't looked at Kubuntu for a long time.

What type of interface does it have now ?

Is it similar to the old Gnome2 interface that was previously used in Ubuntu ?

Thanks.

ugm6hr
October 28th, 2012, 12:08 PM
If you think your friend has the same preferences as you - why not give him/her whatever you use?

If that is heavily modified from a LiveCD - then at least tell us what your desktop is - so we can think of something similar.

Otherwise, you'll just get loads of people recommending their own preferred desktop / LiveCD.

Some classical-style desktops based on Ubuntu in a LiveCD (I have tried all 12.04 derivatives briefly to settle on my own preference):
Kubuntu / Xubuntu / Lubuntu (KDE / XFCE / LXDE respectively)
Zorin OS (Gnome 3 without Shell, resembles Windows 7 as default)
Linux Mint (available with MATE aka Gnome 2 fork or Gnome 3-based Cinnamon)

I actually think there is little merit in showing an old desktop version of Ubuntu which is not readily usable for regular computing after s/he has overcome the initial learning curve. S/he may as well learn to use something that s/he can install, since your approach is likely to double the frustration of changing OS.

kurt18947
October 28th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Personally, I'd just give them a Mint CD. It's just plain easier, honestly.

That is my thinking too. I think Cinnamon would be pretty easy for somebody coming from the 'classic' Windows UI. I use Gnome 3. It's not 'harder' but it IS different.

Linuxratty
October 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Other people, they just want the old GNOME 2 back, I guess.

Using Fallback here with the ltr. I tried Unity as a guest. Not my cup of tea.
There is a huge Unity rant in our LI forum for those into such things. In a nutshell, the fellow refuses to release it on his 100 clients.

exploder
October 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I find that most people that have NEVER ran Linux want Unity specifically. New users do not seem to want a Windows clone, period. Two of my family members are running Ubuntu with Unity and they love it. Neither of these people like the user interface of Windows 8 and they were both tired of issues with viruses.

I think people that want the traditional desktop are just not seeing the future of computing. Everything is gearing up for mobile devices and soon that big desktop computer will be a thing of the past. Your computer will fit in your pocket, you will plug it into a cradle to use your monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Operating systems are changing right along with technology and Canonical is smart to recognize the writing on the wall.

Sef
October 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM
This has gotten off-topic, so closed.