PDA

View Full Version : Are the days of the desktop numbered?

exploder
October 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Landfills no longer take computers and they have to be recycled. Manufacturers are saying profit margins are slim for desktop computers. Mobil devices are selling and most everyone has a cell phone.

Combine these things with the current trend of making a computer the size of a credit card. Everything changes and it sure is looking like computers are changing weather we like it or not. All of this makes me wonder if Canonical is heading in the right direction with the Ubuntu phone.

Think about it, phone, computer and TV in a device you can fit in your pocket. Cell phones are cheaper than most computers and with the cradle you can have your keyboard, mouse and big monitor.

To be perfectly honest, a post on another forum got me to thinking about this and it really woke me up to the way things are heading and changing. The Ubuntu phone came to my mind because I saw it demonstrated and I liked it. What do you think about where things are heading? Do you think the Ubuntu phone with it's docking cradle might be the way of the future?

mamamia88
October 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
You mean desktop like a tower? Then yes you might be right. But how about all the students who need word processing/presentations/etc. or about professional photographers or music production? I think that there will always be a need for something similar to a desktop pc.

whatthefunk
October 27th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Im guessing you mean Ubuntu for Android because there is no such thing as Ubuntu Phone.

As far as this taking over the desktop any time soon, I doubt it. Phones dont have the computing power or memory space that many users require. Comparing an iPhone5, which just came out a month ago, or a Samsung Galaxy 3, which also came out recently, to my year old mid-range computer, there is no comparison. It is laughable. In every category, my computer blows the smart phones out of the water. Running a CPU intensive, GPU intensive program off an OS inside another OS on a smartphone? Ha. Of course they will get better over time, but so will desktop computers. I dont see this as a threat to the traditional desktop at all.

nothingspecial
October 27th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Thread moved to Mobile Technology Discussions.

exploder
October 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Sorry, I forgot this section of the forum was even here.

Im guessing you mean Ubuntu for Android because there is no such thing as Ubuntu Phone.

Yes, this is what I meant but you knew what I was referring to anyway.

I just got to realizing how computers were getting smaller and smaller. Current smart phones are not near as powerful as desktops but they are quickly getting there. The ideas Canonical demonstrated on a smart phone seem very advanced when you look at other ideas that are being developed though. I was impressed by what such a small device could do and what was presented could do a lot for what it is. The whole idea makes sense from manufacturing down to the end user.

nothingspecial
October 27th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I forgot this section of the forum was even here.

It's new :)

graabein
October 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM
There's a lot of work you can't get comfortably and efficiently done on small touch devices. So for consumers, maybe so, but for work there's still a market.

Sableyes
October 27th, 2012, 06:21 PM
For me... Nearly :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8185/8104882687_87efa4b2aa.jpg

With Kingsoft Office and Opera I can do 99% of things on my mobile devices. I have more games on my Androids than I do for Linux. The only thing I struggle with is processing photos and playing Second Life. Photos, there are a lot of filter / photo apps, but not sure my android can process 10 mb pictures of my HS30EXR. Second Life which has 2 clients on Android (one even has 3D), but they arnt quite up too spec yet.

A lot of modern androids now have HDMI as well, so they have a chance of replace desktops for me :)

Sableyes
October 27th, 2012, 06:23 PM
There's a lot of work you can't get comfortably and efficiently done on small touch devices. So for consumers, maybe so, but for work there's still a market.

Size wise, what work can you not get done on a tablet that has USB Host and HDMI out?

Plug in a mouse and keyboard, and hook it up too your monitor? I would say if anything, a 60 tablet like mine is better for small business than tower PCs now.

exploder
October 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Sableyes, what you have set up looks interesting. I might just have to dig out my tablet from the drawer and try what you have done. Nice post!

Sableyes
October 27th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Thankyou :)

Wanted too move away from my desktop and sit on the sofa with my 3 dogs, got a secound hand tablet 7 inch for 24 off Ebay, mouse and keyboard are Cerulean Studios and require a USB host on tablet, and work fine, cost 21 in Maplins.

I believe if you have Bluetooth on your tablet (I didnt), one of the most recommended keyboard and mouse setups was the Motorola Xoom ones. They are Bluetooth and should work with all android tablets of mmm 3.0+ I think.

Thats a point, I think keyboard and mouse support didnt come in until somewhere in the Gingerbread androids. So if your anywhere below Ice Cream Sammich, might be worth checking out if your tablets OK with keyboards and mouses.

ccrs8
October 28th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I actually think that the proliferation of mobile devices and tablets has reduced my need for my LAPTOP, while my DESKTOP tower has remained steadily used.

Before I got my android phone and more recently my Nexus 7 tablet, I would do my "serious" work on my desktop (dual monitors, super powerful, etc) or I'd do my "causual" work on my couch or in my bed with my laptop. Now I still do my serious work on my desktop, but my tablet has taken over my casual reading, web browsing, email checking, etc. When I travel, I used to take my laptop. Now I'm fine with my tablet.

offgridguy
October 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM
The proliferation of handheld devices might be convenient and cool, but no one seems
to mention the expense, both to buy and operate. And they come with built in obsolescence .

linmick
October 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I don't think so and I would not be able to do CAD or Blender, Arudino (I wish to). I'm an intelligent and a creative person. Tablets maybe in the future when they become more stronger but for now they are a toy in my eyes. I wish this thread was locked; or would disappear it brings out great displeasure. What I wish is the mobile fad dies and dies quickly. For Facebook, Twitter the desktop was dead a long long time ago. I tried to find some news on the approaching hurricaine my way and I found more Tweets, and facebook than an actual Video feed for the area. The day desktops die is the day using a device for anything more than having fun with dies. But I understand the world does not revolve around me or smart people in general. As long as the common "App for that" is amused all is fine. I wish I did not have to brag about my intelligence but Tablets hurt my intelligence. Suddenly I feel like I'm downgraded and not so smart trying to do something on a thing that is small and was not meant to do with. Can you "Touch Screen"your way through a cad application? Can you actually draw anything measurable when not precise?

* Locked down device.
* Forced to a store.
List goes on.

Sableyes
October 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM
The proliferation of handheld devices might be convenient and cool, but no one seems
to mention the expense, both to buy and operate. And they come with built in obsolescence .

Desktop starts at 200 in UK with everything. You can get tablets for sub 100.

What cost in buying and operating them? And why get rid of a tablet while its still working? (obsolescence?) :confused:

Sableyes
October 28th, 2012, 09:16 PM
@ Limmerick - Because a device is touch screen, doesnt mean you cant use a keyboard and mouse. Look at my set up at the bottom of page one of this thread.

Copper Bezel
October 29th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Indeed. And it should be said that not all intelligent people use AutoCAD. But most folks probably do have at least one or two use cases that require a non-mobile machine.

I'm quite convinced of Android as a decent system for everything I need when I'm not at home, and of course it's better for consumption tasks like reading or browsing or typing this post, but it's also quite good for very basic word processing and so on. That doesn't mean that I don't need a desktop, but it really does mean that I don't need a notebook (I mean, aside from the paper kind, which are quite productive devices in their own right.)

Android is, by the way, not locked down to any store. No more than Ubuntu - they both have software shops with free and paid content and both allow sideloading. No PPA equivalent on the Android side, of course.

Edit: Need to stress that qualifier - most people need a personal desktop or notebook for some task or another. Not everyone. And it has nothing to do with how creative or productive or intelligent they might be. It's just a matter of what fields they're working in.

NewAmercnClasic
November 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I don't think so and I would not be able to do CAD or Blender, Arudino (I wish to). I'm an intelligent and a creative person. Tablets maybe in the future when they become more stronger but for now they are a toy in my eyes. I wish this thread was locked; or would disappear it brings out great displeasure. What I wish is the mobile fad dies and dies quickly. For Facebook, Twitter the desktop was dead a long long time ago. I tried to find some news on the approaching hurricaine my way and I found more Tweets, and facebook than an actual Video feed for the area. The day desktops die is the day using a device for anything more than having fun with dies. But I understand the world does not revolve around me or smart people in general. As long as the common "App for that" is amused all is fine. I wish I did not have to brag about my intelligence but Tablets hurt my intelligence. Suddenly I feel like I'm downgraded and not so smart trying to do something on a thing that is small and was not meant to do with. Can you "Touch Screen"your way through a cad application? Can you actually draw anything measurable when not precise?

* Locked down device.
* Forced to a store.
List goes on.

Have you tried autocad ws for tablet? I have to say, not being tied down to my desktop has raised my productivity and communication and I can use the power of my desktop remotely through my tablet.

pompel9
November 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
This will not happen in my lifetime.

While mobile devices gets faster and more powerful, so does the laptops and PC's. As long as there are development on the hardware for laptops and PC's, then mobile devices doesn't have a chance to overtake it.

Just my opinion.

offgridguy
November 13th, 2012, 05:06 PM

What cost in buying and operating them? And why get rid of a tablet while its still working? (obsolescence?) :confused:

Tablets here in Canada run from $300- $650. If you have an internet
connection, here you typically pay, $40-$100 per month depending on the individual plan.

An afterthought here; i personally don't know anyone who uses a tablet or iphone as a replacement for
a desktop computer but rather as a supplement, or simply as another toy.

offgridguy
November 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM

While mobile devices gets faster and more powerful, so does the laptops and PC's. As long as there are development on the hardware for laptops and PC's, then mobile devices doesn't have a chance to overtake it.

Just my opinion.

An opinion I totally agree with.

Sableyes
November 13th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Tablets here in Canada run from $300- $650. If you have an internet
connection, here you typically pay, $40-$100 per month depending on the individual plan.

internet as in mobile internet? or land line internet?

deadflowr
November 13th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Tablets with ethernet ports?

Smartphones with phone jacks?

KiwiNZ
November 13th, 2012, 07:53 PM

Just my opinion.

I heard similar said about the laptop, in its infancy people were adamant that it would never take off, they now out sell desktops.
Similar was said about mainframes.

I can recall countless posts here stating that tablets when iPad was launched would never take off.

Technology changes as does the needs and application of said technology.What reins supreme today is forgotten tomorrow, I believe there will be a continuing need for the traditional desktop, (I don't include all in one devices in this) but that will be a small niche market.

Sableyes
November 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Tablets with ethernet ports?

Smartphones with phone jacks?

Lost me... I think... Tablets do have Wi Fi, so can use most modern routers. Mobile internet is not a requirement of Tablets. If you have internet at home already and it costs that much, then your paying it anyway.

I still dont get the 'hidden running costs' and obsolescence he mentions.

offgridguy
November 13th, 2012, 11:17 PM

Wireless network.

I still dont get the 'hidden running costs' and obsolescence he mentions.

Example; i can get an iphone from my ISP value $600.00 for $0.00 if i sign a 3 year contract, with a monthly minimum of $50.00. they can't lose, if i never used it at all they would still get $1800.00. Depending on what apps. you use or amount of video you watch it is not uncommon for monthly bills in excess of $100.
Here where i live iphones are very popular with the teenagers, probably similar in your part of the world. I was a teenager once,
when the newer ,fancier, etc. version comes along they want it, no matter if the old one still works or not.

Maybe we just live beyond our means?

Sableyes
November 13th, 2012, 11:23 PM
How much do you pay for your land line Internet? Can you not connect via Wi Fi too your router?

nothingspecial
November 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM
https://plus.google.com/u/0/103194375206590302731/posts/HPgnv5gBEyY

Resistent
November 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
My short view: They try to abuse computers to sell them as entertainment devices.
We will be more and more entertained, more dumb in sum, the huge amount of information we get is more and more without quality. They try to move us buy the newest nonsense. A good keyword to start: Obsolescence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolescence It's business.

Never ever can a small device like a mobile phone or even netbook, smartphone, etc be an alternative to my Desktop PC. They are just another toys, for a huge amount of money, to be thrown away in 3 years.

Watch this bulb, already 110 years old, works.
http://www.centennialbulb.org/photos.htm#anchor1234
but then, they decided to limit lifetime to 1000 hours. So don't hink they want innovation!!

offgridguy
November 13th, 2012, 11:51 PM
How much do you pay for your land line Internet? Can you not connect via Wi Fi too your router?

A land line internet is not an option where i live, so i cannot answer that.

offgridguy
November 13th, 2012, 11:54 PM
My short view: They try to abuse computers to sell them as entertainment devices.
We will be more and more entertained, more dumb in sum, the huge amount of information we get is more and more without quality. They try to move us buy the newest nonsense. A good keyword to start: Obsolescence

Never ever can a small device like a mobile phone or even netbook, smartphone, etc be an alternative to my Desktop PC. They are just another toys, for a huge amount of money, to be thrown away in 3 years.

Thank you; you are obviously better able to articulate this subject than i.

KiwiNZ
November 13th, 2012, 11:57 PM

Watch this bulb, already 110 years old, works.
http://www.centennialbulb.org/photos.htm#anchor1234
but then, they decided to limit lifetime to 1000 hours. So don't hink they want innovation!!

We once had horse and cart, wrote with feathers, and cooked on fires should we go back to that ?

offgridguy
November 13th, 2012, 11:58 PM
https://plus.google.com/u/0/103194375206590302731/posts/HPgnv5gBEyY

Very interesting site, it never ceases to amaze me how the ubuntu community keeps coming up with these resources. Thank you.

KBD47
November 14th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Yes, I think the days of both the laptop and desktop are numbered. Tablets cost less and work better as time goes on. The Ubuntu dock with a phone seems a good fit for power users. Chrome books are a temporary in-between device, as are net books and small laptops. Right now I use my ten inch android tablet for about 85% of everything I need a computer for. The rest, mostly word processing, I use a Linux net book for. Tablets and smart phones are the future, and miniscule OS's that plug into big screen TVs.

Sableyes
November 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
A land line internet is not an option where i live, so i cannot answer that.

How are you posting on this forum?

Sableyes
November 14th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Most of my PCs in the past that have run the latest and greatest software have needed upgrading every 3 years. Do they have built in obsolescence because software development moves too quick?

With regards too the remarks about contracts as hidden costs,

A. Do they physically not tell you how much it costs up front? If they do, how is it a hidden cost?

B. do you have no "pay as you go"type thing where you have no ongoing contract costs?

C. can you not buy any tablets or smart phones not tied too a phone company? What about the tablets that only have Wi Fi? Do they have a contract too?

Have come too the conclusion there's just a lot if people on this forum that hate new technology and refuse too even give it a chance. Which is odd for a software forum as software develops at a high speed as well as hardware & technology.

whatthefunk
November 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Have come too the conclusion there's just a lot if people on this forum that hate new technology and refuse too even give it a chance. Which is odd for a software forum as software develops at a high speed as well as hardware & technology.

Its not just people on this forum. A lot of people in "real life" feel the same way. Probably because this new mobile technology is viewed by many as being unncessary. Everybody I know that has a smartphone or tablet repeatedly tells me how much time they are saving, but at the same time they spend hours upon hours every day "consuming" pointless media via their devices. Its a massive waste of time. Also, as has been pointed out in this thread, a lot of people can not conduct their real work on a mobile device. So why would I want to buy something for hundreds of hard earned dollars that will waste my precious time and not allow me to get anything done? Its ridiculous.

malspa
November 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Have come too the conclusion there's just a lot if people on this forum that hate new technology and refuse too even give it a chance.

I think smartphones and tablets are great; I just don't need one. I do need my desktop pc.

I don't hate new technology, but I'm not gonna spend my money trying to keep up with the latest technology, buying stuff I don't need.

Grenage
November 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Are the days numbered? No.
Will/has the usage dropped in favour of more portable devices? Of course.

Most home users want a PC to browse Facebook, or view a good lasagne recipe; few people even use computers for programs such as MSN messenger. When you can do such trivial phones on phones/laptops/tablets in front of the TV, why the hell would you want a bulky desktop?

'Power' PC users obviously are not going to abandon the desktop. I'm not going to trade in my massive screen, full size mouse/kb and decent processing power - not for playing games, encoding, or monster browsing sessions.

I have a laptop and phone, but I find both frustratingly inefficient for more than a few tasks. Not that I'd be without my phone, it's a decent enough replacement for a filofax - and I can call people on it.

Erik1984
November 14th, 2012, 04:16 PM

Especially those cheap tablets don't seem very durable and they are certainly less 'maintainable' than a desktop. The desktop costs more but any desktop purchased today should easily last 5 years. Let's see how many people still have their el cheapo tablets 5 years from now.

Sableyes
November 14th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Galaxy, kindle HD fire, nexus 7, all still sub 200. last longer than the 'el cheapo'.

KBD47
November 14th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I wonder who will want a desktop in 5 years, they are practically dinosaurs now. True, a tablet being used today will be tossed out for another one tomorrow, but they will be as disposable as smart phones are right now. $75 tablets are already here.

whatthefunk
November 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I wonder who will want a desktop in 5 years, they are practically dinosaurs now. True, a tablet being used today will be tossed out for another one tomorrow, but they will be as disposable as smart phones are right now. $75 tablets are already here.

I will want a desktop in five years. My current desktop out performs every mobile device on the market so I would hardly call it a dinosaur.

And Im glad you brought up the current "disposable" electronics trend. It sickens me. Electronic waste is becoming a massive problem around the world and rare earth metals are becoming rarer and rarer. Not to mention the huge amounts of industrial waste that are made every year manufacturing electronics. People should buy things with an intention to use them for as long as possible, not with an intention to use them until they fall out of fashion or are "outdated" by a new product that has a different screen size and an extra gig of ram. I wish people would realize that they are being duped by electronics companies into thinking that they need the latest and greatest useless garbage. Its all advertising and people are falling for it everywhere.

malspa
November 14th, 2012, 05:11 PM
People should buy things with an intention to use them for as long as possible, not with an intention to use them until they fall out of fashion or are "outdated" by a new product that has a different screen size and an extra gig of ram.

That's how I see things.

malspa
November 14th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I wonder who will want a desktop in 5 years

I will. Makes more sense for me than a mobile device. Maybe not for you, but that's okay.

KBD47
November 14th, 2012, 06:01 PM
If it makes you feel better, I've saved two desktops and one laptop from a landfill using Linux. I think we can and should save Windows dead computers with Linux and repurpose them. But I don't think that changes the direction tech is headed. My hope is that someday we will also be able to save some tablets from getting pitched as well with Linux, though Android is working fairly well right now.

|{urse
November 14th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I don't ever foresee this happening. Imagine all the jobs lost. Also, even if they are phased out on the OEM/Supply level I will keep making them out of random parts. Long live atx Lol.

As long as there are systems engineering hobbyists there will be the desktop tower. Ever tried to 'build' a custom laptop without calling Clevo?

<sarcasm style="position: ridiculous;">The days of the mobile device, the laptop and the Hollerith card reader are also numbered, incidentally.</sarcasm>

Copper Bezel
November 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Its not just people on this forum. A lot of people in "real life" feel the same way. Probably because this new mobile technology is viewed by many as being unncessary. Everybody I know that has a smartphone or tablet repeatedly tells me how much time they are saving, but at the same time they spend hours upon hours every day "consuming" pointless media via their devices. Its a massive waste of time. Also, as has been pointed out in this thread, a lot of people can not conduct their real work on a mobile device. So why would I want to buy something for hundreds of hard earned dollars that will waste my precious time and not allow me to get anything done? Its ridiculous.

I'm an adjunct English instructor, a strictly BYOD job description. I do a lot of real work on my tablet. I also do a lot of real work on my desktop at home, and I "waste" a hell of a lot of time playing on both, which is what I'm doing in posting this right now (currently from my Nexus 7.) The tablet means that I can respond to email, pull up any document I own, or run a quick search while I'm on campus, much more efficiently than I could with a netbook. (Not a hypothetical - past tense.) The desktop means that I can actually create those documents or interact with my online classes.

Toting a netbook on campus is a hassle and a distraction. If I really need a keyboard, there are workstations for that. If I'm conferencing with a student and need to pull up a formatting guide, or if I need to respond to a student email from the cafeteria, or if I need to check something on my class schedule in the hallway, I can do those things, too. That's what the tablet's for.

And the time I waste on YouTube documentaries, Wikipedia, and you lot is unchanged. = ) It's just more comfy to read Wikipedia in bed this way.

Hylas de Niall
November 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Are the days of the desktop numbered?

No.

KiwiNZ
November 15th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Mrs kiwinz is a Senior exec for a major international OEM, she tells me that Desktop machines now represent a very small percentage of their PC sales. She also tells me that from her talks with other OEMs it is the same with them.

Whilst they will not disappear in the medium term they are becoming, in some cases already, a niche product.

Some OEMs that are currently producing traditional Desktop models are looking to change to all in one units or drop the Desktop entirely.

mythic97
November 26th, 2012, 08:54 PM
This is interesting maybe Microsoft were only insane with Windows 8 still desktops just need some portability I think as part of me wishes for an android desktop environment a hybrid if you will as a Google nexus 7 is as powerful as my laptop I just want it to be able to uses this power not just be 200 angry bird machine don't you agree? But I only think of ideas I can't do this I need someone who could do it, this is the final leap that would make tablets more powerful maybe make alot of powerful apps for it this would make the desktop lose popularity,
maybe I should make some drawings?
Still this a dream I hope will one day come true until then angry birds is the best we have...

JayKay3OOO
November 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Desktop has pretty much had it for new users because you can get the power of a desktop in a laptop and in an age of portability a lot of people don't want or don't have the space for a desktop set-up. If you have a TV then you can connect your device to the TV and work with this bigger screen.

The desktop will never be 'dead', it has become for a long while a device for a more niche market for people that want to build their machine, want the best possible gaming experience or who need the raw crunching power of a desktop computer.

In the world where desktop apps are becoming less relevant to users due to the always on nature of the internet most non-business consumers are doing their work in the cloud with web apps like google docs.

Many users simply user their device to connect to the internet and check mail, watch video, update facebook, manipulate or share their photos and write some rubbish on twitter and with the advent of Smart TVs that enable you to do all of that a small portable device like their phone or a small tablet is all they may travel with.

It's not that the desktop is dead. The desktop was in the past the only device. If you wanted a computer you HAD to get a desktop because a phone was not portable and could only phone. Now we have loads of options. Laptop battery life has increased incredibly over the years and tablets are only getting better.

Laptops are morphing into touch screens with keyboards attached.

Netbooks will soon be replaced by tablets as they increase in power and become more usable than netbooks.

In the end consumers have more options, it's important for sales people to give consumers informed decisions based on their needs and uses for a computer.

MyTinFoilHat
November 30th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I think the days of the desktop are numbered, but probably not in the sense of lack-of-need.

I believe we're approaching the brink of another major evolution in computing, a bridging point where the idea of the desktop environment meets the mobile platform. Until now, these have been very disparate, almost disjointed, janky worlds.

I think it's a very natural evolution and am a little excited to see where these ideas (i.e., Ubuntu for Android) take us. As long as we, collectively, do not lose sight of our roots (in every respect), this might be a very interesting time ahead of us.

MadmanRB
November 30th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Not really as there will always be a need for customized hardware and setups.
The desktop tower may be on its last legs but there will always be a market for them as long as people need high powered gaming hardware.

gnusci
November 30th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Yes, for the masses, people are switching to tablets and/or mobile phones.

EDIT: The most frequently tasks can be done from one of those devices.

SeijiSensei
November 30th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Every time I read discussions like these I'm amazed at how people never even think about businesses in all of this. Millions of people around the world sit in front of desktop machines every day entering data, writing documents, creating spreadsheets, etc., etc. None of these tasks are going to be replaced by tablets or phones anytime in the foreseeable future.

Next time you're at work, see how many of your co-workers are using a phone or tablet for their office tasks. Ask your IT department manager when they expect to replace their installed base of PCs and PC software with tablets and smart phones. Expect to get some funny looks.

Sableyes
December 1st, 2012, 03:19 PM
Next time you're at work, see how many of your co-workers are using a phone or tablet for their office tasks.

Actually, again, with my earlier picture, Tablets are becoming more viable as office devices. A 10+ inch tablet on a stand with a keyboard and mouse and no wires would happily work.

SeijiSensei
December 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM
Actually, again, with my earlier picture, Tablets are becoming more viable as office devices. A 10+ inch tablet on a stand with a keyboard and mouse and no wires would happily work.

Well, sure, but will your company's IT department support it? Will it run all the various proprietary software your company might be using? How about that old DOS-based app they are still using over in shipping? Will it run a Citrix client? Lotus Notes? I don't think you have a good grasp on how difficult it is to manage a network with hundreds of users if you don't control the hardware and software throughout the organization.

Sableyes
December 1st, 2012, 06:33 PM
I know 4 companies, less than 10 people who I have introduced too Linux. they currently Ubuntu with Ubuntu one and libre office for spreadsheets and word documents with gmail as email.

There's nothing they do that cannot be done on a tablet.

For companies with hundreds of employees. All in ones can do the job of a typical desktop tower PC.

whatthefunk
December 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
I know 4 companies, less than 10 people who I have introduced too Linux. they currently Ubuntu with Ubuntu one and libre office for spreadsheets and word documents with gmail as email.

There's nothing they do that cannot be done on a tablet.

For companies with hundreds of employees. All in ones can do the job of a typical desktop tower PC.

But why spend so much money for a tablet and the attached keyboard when a tower can be built for a couple hundred dollars less and outperform the tablet? It makes no sense at all.

TheFu
December 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Desktops will always be around for some segment of the workforce AND home user population.

Cheaper for more powerful "stuff" - A $300 desktop blows away a $300 smartphone/tablet.
Upgrades (add 5 HDDs to a smartphone).
More peripherals available and connected simultaneously
Easier to track - harder to steal (important for offices)

Still, portable devices ARE gaining huge market share. The last 10 yrs, these devices have been complementary, but that is definitely changing for average-Joe-users. I've been an early adopter of portable computing devices since 1995-ish with a PalmPro. I don't update constantly, but I have used/owned portable devices all this time. I've owned a dual-core ARM tablet over a year and really like the form factor for portable, business computing over a remote desktop connection. The "desktop" is actually a virtual machine running on a private cloud. Am I covering all the correct, popular buzzwords?

Last spring, but smartphone was stolen during an overseas trip. I decided NOT to replace it, since I already had a dumbphone + Nokia 4.5" tablet. I wish I'd purchases a Nokia N900 - I really do, but it was $400 over my budget ($700+ total cost).

I've traveled all over the world with the Nokia N800 and/or (a tablet or laptop or netbook). The tablet is very close to an ideal remote computing platform for me, except it lacks 1 element - a good, secure, efficient remote desktop client. We use NX at work, not RDP or VNC. I need an NX client for Android. Proprietary data never leaves the server, so if the laptop, netbook, tablet is lost or stolen, there isn't any data at risk. This is critical. This need is at the point that payment for an Android tablet-friendly NX client is definitely possible.

About a year ago, I was interviewed for My Linux Rig where I outlined my current and ideal setup. I looked into the future, just a little .... http://www.mylinuxrig.com/post/12414840146/the-linux-setup-thefu-enterprise-architect-writer getting into a portable, wearable, desktop computer.

Here's the most important part, as related to this thread

Wristwatch-sized for the CPU, RAM and disks combined. The CPU connects to external keyboard, mouse, video and audio based on proximity with complete security. Basically, my desktop is with me everywhere and peripherals are added as needed through voice commands.I'd add:

No dock needed.
No wires needed.
Sub-dermal audio interface and voice commands.
30 day battery life.

I think we can all look forward to that "desktop."

SeijiSensei
December 2nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
As a 63-year-old, I'll just mention that peoples' vision declines as we get older. An employee in her 40's or 50's will not be very comfortable trying to work on a 7-10" screen with tiny fonts.

Problems like these usually do not get much consideration on forums where a large fraction of the members (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=686279) are under forty. I notice that the author of the linked poll didn't even provide an option for me other than the bogus answers like "young" or "get off my lawn."

TheFu
December 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
An employee in her 40's or 50's will not be very comfortable trying to work on a 7-10" screen with tiny fonts.

Sometime around age 42 or 43, my eyesight started to change for the worse. Reading became more difficult. A 10" tablet has made reading fun again, thanks to the built-in scaling provided. I love being able to have 28pt fonts for ebooks. PDF books still suck due to the manual scroll back-and-forth required, but at least I can zoom in.

It seems that most people will have this near-sighted issue as they get older, though my father did not. Mom has been mostly blind without correction, until she got cataracts and had her lenses replaced, no she sees 20/20. She looks funny to me without glasses.

Mom doesn't have AND is not interested in any portable computing devicew. When "current" 30 yr olds age a little more, they will understand better. Being connected to the world all-the-time is much less important than being connected to those few loved-ones.

Anyway, small screens aren't always bad, but they can be a challenge for anyone over age 40-ish. Too the younger people, it will happen to you too. I didn't think lots of these things - common life things - would happen to me either, but they are as I get older. It will happen to you too.

Fortunately, 2x24" monitors makes up for most of my poor eyesight these days on desktops and larger fonts seem to work on smaller portable devices that do not support voice control. ;) I use voice dialing almost exclusively on my dumbphone.

Sableyes
December 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM
But why spend so much money for a tablet and the attached keyboard when a tower can be built for a couple hundred dollars less and outperform the tablet? It makes no sense at all.

As I have said previously, tablet and keyboard are cheaper in the UK.

Sableyes
December 2nd, 2012, 06:25 PM
As a 63-year-old, I'll just mention that peoples' vision declines as we get older. An employee in her 40's or 50's will not be very comfortable trying to work on a 7-10" screen with tiny fonts.

All in ones / tablet hybrids no good there then aye?

whatthefunk
December 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
As I have said previously, tablet and keyboard are cheaper in the UK.

A 60 quid tablet and attached keyboard are not at all adequate for a modern office environment. The screen size is way too small, the processing power is not even close to being enough, and setting up a large network with those things would be an admin nightmare. I saw the picture you posted of your set up on the first page of this thread and while that may be fine for your purposes, using that tiny little thing for word processing or any other serious work would drive me up the walls.

Sableyes
December 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
I can't imagine in the future for a secound we are going too see bigger tablets.... >.> Just sayin.....

whatthefunk
December 3rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
I can't imagine in the future for a secound we are going too see bigger tablets.... >.> Just sayin.....

Tablets cant get too much bigger. If a tablet was the size of the monitor Im using right now, it would be too big to carry anywhere.

Sableyes
December 3rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
so they cannot go as big as laptops? Infact with current technology being almost there, whats too stop a tablet being plugged into a bigger monitor in the near future?

whatthefunk
December 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that would be about as big as they could get before they cease to be portable. But why bother with this for an office envirnoment? What advantages does having a tablet for a desktop provide??

Sableyes
December 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ignoring price, when spcs are similar what's the advantage of a tower PC vs an all in one / slate / tablet?

Different question, are all in ones considerd desktops or tablets? I would say closer too a tablet, but no idea if that's right or not?

whatthefunk
December 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Ignoring price, when spcs are similar what's the advantage of a tower PC vs an all in one / slate / tablet?

Different question, are all in ones considerd desktops or tablets? I would say closer too a tablet, but no idea if that's right or not?

First, you cannot ignore the price. Doing so is ignoring a major part of the argument.

Second, specs are not the same. You can get a whole lot more desktop for your dollar than tablet.

The advantages of a traditional desktop are:
-Designed specifically for desktop work, like in a office
-Capable of running CPU intensive programs
-Large monitor size
-Hardware can be customized and easily replaced
-Hardware can be generic ie cheaper
-Run desktop OSs, not tablet OSs which at the moment are not great for the types of things you need to do in an office environment
-Ports can be added easily to allow for easy networking and device syncing

I cant think of a single advantage to having a tablet in an office....

Sableyes
December 3rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
First, you cannot ignore the price. Doing so is ignoring a major part of the argument.

-Cheaper for me. For office use such as spreadsheets, word documents, email it is cheaper.

Second, specs are not the same. You can get a whole lot more desktop for your dollar than tablet.

-I have never understood buying super spec PCs for office use. For art and design yes, but office use with office software?

The advantages of a traditional desktop are:
-Designed specifically for desktop work, like in a office - With office packages now on tablets, I cant see how advantageous this is.

-Capable of running CPU intensive programs - The tech in tablets has accelerated at a high speed. Multi core processors are already there. I dont feel it will take much longer for even higher spec tablets too come on the market.

-Large monitor size - Addressed.

-Hardware can be customized and easily replaced - Given this for the time being, but we are talking about the future of desktops, and with all in ones I think we will get customizable all in ones / slates.

-Hardware can be generic ie cheaper - Generic Tablets, cheaper.

-Run desktop OSs, not tablet OSs which at the moment are not great for the types of things you need to do in an office environment - Ubuntu are addressing this. With Win 8 theres also some familiarity between mobiles/tablets/desktops/all in ones.

-Ports can be added easily to allow for easy networking and device syncing - Again, really, is that far off in the future of tablets?

I cant think of a single advantage to having a tablet in an office.... - I am running out of reasons a desktop has any advantages over a tablet.

This is one of those back and forth moments on the internet that will just carry on until 1 person gets bored of posting on the same topic eh?

nothingspecial
December 3rd, 2012, 10:48 AM
This is one of those back and forth moments on the internet that will just carry on until 1 person gets bored of posting on the same topic eh?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Sableyes
December 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Bowing out now then before the clink of a padlock gets heard. :)

whatthefunk
December 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
-I have never understood buying super spec PCs for office use. For art and design yes, but office use with office software?

I didnt say anything about a super computer. You can build a perfectly capable computer for $400 or so.

With office packages now on tablets, I cant see how advantageous this is.

Small screens with few ports = not made for office use.

The tech in tablets has accelerated at a high speed. Multi core processors are already there. I dont feel it will take much longer for even higher spec tablets too come on the market.

Youre right. But they cost a whole lot more than 60 pounds.

Large monitor size - Addressed.

Not really. Large monitor = higher cost.

Given this for the time being, but we are talking about the future of desktops, and with all in ones I think we will get customizable all in ones / slates.

Dont think so. Tablets, like laptops, have to be built very specifically in order to be small. Laptops have been out for years and still arent really customizable. If a part breaks in a laptop, you almost alwasy have to order the exact same part direct from the manufacturer. In a desktop, if something goes, you can replace it with nearly any brand. Its much easier and cheaper.

Ubuntu are addressing this. With Win 8 theres also some familiarity between mobiles/tablets/desktops/all in ones.

Havent used Win 8, but it doesnt seem to be going down so well with some people. Having an OS that is both for a desktop and a mobile device has many, many disadvantages.

Again, really, is that far off in the future of tablets?

First, hoping for future advancment is not proof that a current product is better and another current product.
Second, I dont think this will change much. Tablets are designed to be mobile media consumption devices. You dont need a wide variety of ports to watch youtube and play angry birds.

Please give me one advantage to using a tablet, which is designed for being a mobile device, in a non-mobile position like an office. I cant think of any at all.

SeijiSensei
December 6th, 2012, 07:39 PM

I was reminded of this post while reading David Pogue's review of three all-in-ones (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/technology/personaltech/reviewing-all-in-one-luxury-pcs-from-vizio-hp-and-apple-state-of-the-art.html). Their price? One from Vizio starts at $1,000; the other two from HP and Apple start at $1,300. I don't see many companies replacing $300-400 desktop towers and $100-200 displays with $1,300 all-in-ones.

DukeOfMixture
December 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I don't currently use my desktop for a work environment but I couldn't imagine doing what i do with a tablet or mobile device.

I don't even like mobile devices. i don't even own a cell phone.

But the games I play, "office type" activities, feeling "home-like", there's no replacement for my desktop.

TheFu
December 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I don't currently use my desktop for a work environment but I couldn't imagine doing what i do with a tablet or mobile device.

I don't even like mobile devices. i don't even own a cell phone.

But the games I play, "office type" activities, feeling "home-like", there's no replacement for my desktop.

For many uses, a tablet is not useful as a desktop, but for many others, it can be. With an efficient remote desktop like NX, my "desktop" is available from any network connected client AND just as secure as if I were sitting on my home network regardless of where in the world that I am currently located. For most "office productivity" style work, a 10" tablet fills that requirement with a keyboard and BT mouse easily. If more screen real estate is needed, any TV with an HDMI port becomes the display (just add cable). The 8+ hrs of battery is great too and I'm not stuck with slow laptop or netbook performance - the performance is more like that from server-class hardware, since the desktop is actually running on a server.

I'm not as quick to write off tablets anymore, at least as a remote desktop access device.

If your work requires non-network access or usually not wifi/broadband connections, then a tablet as a remote desktop does not make any sense.

KBD47
December 7th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Probably in some instances the desktop will not be completely replaced, what will disappear first is the laptop. I suspect MS will be hit hard by people bringing their own devices, mostly iPads to work. Android has to get its stuff together security-wise before it can make a dent in the workplace IMO.

monkeybrain2012
December 7th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Probably in some instances the desktop will not be completely replaced, what will disappear first is the laptop. I suspect MS will be hit hard by people bringing their own devices, mostly iPads to work. Android has to get its stuff together security-wise before it can make a dent in the workplace IMO.

Are you serious? I would think that laptops are more useful than Desktops, it can do most of the things you can do with a Desktop but a lot more convenient. I don't see a use of desktops except in offices, why would I want a desktop at home to take up space while I can do all my work on a medium spec laptop which I can also bring with me for travelling and working abroad? Tablets and mobile on the other hand seem to be more gear towards the consumer market and not meant for doing serious work.

whatthefunk
December 7th, 2012, 01:15 AM

Why would people bring their iPads to work to do office type work when their office already provides desktops? That makes no sense at all, especially since most offices have closed networks and workers wouldnt be able to access files from an external device.

I agree with monkeybrain....laptops arent going to disappear anytime soon. I think all these devices (desktops, laptops, and tablets) have their own place in the market. Desktops are best for office work, gaming, and stationary home use. Laptops are the best device for people who want the power and ability of a desktop but need it to be mobile. Tablets I honestly dont understand, but people apparently like them for "consuming" media. At the moment, no device can fully replace another and I dont see this changing anytime soon. If anything, laptops could replace desktops in many situations, but they are more expensive so it is not practical to buy one if you dont need mobility. Tablets replacing desktops is just silly.

KiwiNZ
December 7th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Why would people bring their iPads to work to do office type work when their office already provides desktops? That makes no sense at all, especially since most offices have closed networks and workers wouldnt be able to access files from an external device.

I agree with monkeybrain....laptops arent going to disappear anytime soon. I think all these devices (desktops, laptops, and tablets) have their own place in the market. Desktops are best for office work, gaming, and stationary home use. Laptops are the best device for people who want the power and ability of a desktop but need it to be mobile. Tablets I honestly dont understand, but people apparently like them for "consuming" media. At the moment, no device can fully replace another and I dont see this changing anytime soon. If anything, laptops could replace desktops in many situations, but they are more expensive so it is not practical to buy one if you dont need mobility. Tablets replacing desktops is just silly.

BYOD, bring your own device is gaining momentum here, so yes people do take tablets to work.

KBD47
December 7th, 2012, 01:53 AM
BYOD bring your own device is becoming increasingly popular/acceptable and many people work out of their home. If one already has a desktop computer a tablet is going to be more portable, have better battery life, and do 90% or more of what you can do on a laptop depending on who you are and your needs.
Over a year ago if you told me a tablet would become my primary PC I would have laughed at you. Now I have a 10" Acer tablet running ICS and only occasionally use my laptop or desktop, and that usually for word processing. I love Linux, and it will be great to keep desktops and laptops out of landfills, but android and iOS is where things are headed. I hope Ubuntu can get there, and laptops along with desktops are not going to disappear overnight, but I challenge anyone to use a good tablet for a month then tell me how much they used their desktop/laptops.

KBD47
December 7th, 2012, 04:33 AM
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-discussions/51153-demonstration-pc-replacement-functionality.html
At the link above you can get a glimpse of where computing is headed, small devices that are both portable and easily connect to larger monitors and even workstations. I think the Ubuntu devs have this in mind and if they can pull it off Ubuntu has a very bright future :-)

mythic97
December 8th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Android aint so powerful that it will overtake desktops and neither is IOS or windows phone laptops and netbooks are the good stuff at the moment we just need a good merge of the two NOT WIN8 that was stupid and would fail

maybe a more powerful android?

maybe Ubuntu for phones?

maybe this won't happen?

LMP900
December 8th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I will. Makes more sense for me than a mobile device. Maybe not for you, but that's okay.

I like this attitude. I'm a huge proponent of the tablet and will defend them, but I will not go on the offensive against those who wish to use desktops. I can understand why it is preferred by many, just as handwriting is still preferred by some to typing.

SFBrother
December 11th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I do think that sometime that desktop computers will be less needed than they are today. Mostly by consumers like us, because students can easily get by with an iPad in school. But for professional people who need the power of the desktop, it will not die out for them. I think the Ubuntu phone is a good idea.

whatthefunk
December 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I do think that sometime that desktop computers will be less needed than they are today. Mostly by consumers like us, because students can easily get by with an iPad in school. But for professional people who need the power of the desktop, it will not die out for them. I think the Ubuntu phone is a good idea.

I totally disagree with that. I had to type 20 page term papers, prepare presentations, make complex spreadsheets with graphics etc. You couldnt pay me to do these types of things on a tablet.

offgridguy
December 11th, 2012, 01:51 PM
i like this attitude. I'm a huge proponent of the tablet and will defend them, but i will not go on the offensive against those who wish to use desktops. I can understand why it is preferred by many, just as handwriting is still preferred by some to typing.
+1

Copper Bezel
December 11th, 2012, 08:18 PM
whatthefunk, I honestly think Surface (including keyboard) would suffice for that stuff - and so possibly would iPad with a dock, too, or an Asus Transformer. It shouldn't be too different from using a netbook. It would be a different workflow and probably not ideal, but I don't think it would be crazy, ergonomically and such.

Sans dock it'd be crazy, sure.

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I totally disagree with that. I had to type 20 page term papers, prepare presentations, make complex spreadsheets with graphics etc. You couldnt pay me to do these types of things on a tablet.

A Tablet or Surface would not, however a Laptop would. A Surface or Tablet can be a mobile extension of a desktop or Laptop and work well for this. So A desktop is not needed for the task a Laptop can replace it easily be further extended by a Tablet/ Surface.

whatthefunk
December 12th, 2012, 12:59 AM
A Tablet or Surface would not, however a Laptop would. A Surface or Tablet can be a mobile extension of a desktop or Laptop and work well for this. So A desktop is not needed for the task a Laptop can replace it easily be further extended by a Tablet/ Surface.

Agreed (I think). When I was a student, I had a laptop and it was perfect. Laptops are probably the best option for students because they can do everything a desktop can, but are small and portable. Typing 20 pages on a tablet? Ha.

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Agreed (I think). When I was a student, I had a laptop and it was perfect. Laptops are probably the best option for students because they can do everything a desktop can, but are small and portable. Typing 20 pages on a tablet? Ha.

Typing 20+ pages, no but editing yes

oldsoundguy
December 12th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I can't type on a laptop and using a tablet is out of the question except for single letter entries using a stylus .. In order to touch type, I need a full sized keyboard and prefer an ergonomic one. Most office situations fall into that category. Face it, businesses will still have need for at least work stations with a local server, and business buy a LOT of computers.

Sableyes
December 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Typing 20+ pages, no but editing yes

If you had a keyboard with the tablet, why could you type 20 pages with a laptop and not type 20 pages with a tablet?

whatthefunk
December 13th, 2012, 01:28 AM
If you had a keyboard with the tablet, why could you type 20 pages with a laptop and not type 20 pages with a tablet?

Small screen size, sub-standard word processing programs etc...

KBD47
December 13th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Kingsoft Office, Office Suite, Quick Office are all very good programs for word processing on tablets. There are 10" screen tablets, many tablets have HDMI plugs for larger monitors if needed.

Copper Bezel
December 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
10" is fairly small, though. For many people (myself included,) typing 20+ pages on a netbook wouldn't be unreasonable, but it wouldn't be ideal, either.

And as KiwiNZ mentioned, even if the keyboard and screen size are manageable, the editing stage on a tablet is usually not going to be as nice as on a laptop or desktop. Again, maybe Surface. (Android does Ctrl+ [Arrow] but not Ctrl + Backspace or Ctrl+ Shift + [Arrow], and iPad has no trackpad, so neither one offers a particularly complete way to navigate the document in the editing process.)

whatthefunk
December 13th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Kingsoft Office, Office Suite, Quick Office are all very good programs for word processing on tablets. There are 10" screen tablets, many tablets have HDMI plugs for larger monitors if needed.

Im sure their fine, but as much as I hate to say it, Micrsoft Word is far superior to anything else out there. When it comes to complex formating nothing compares, not even Libre Office. How well do those programs do the .doc format?

Copper Bezel
December 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Surprisingly well, at least in the case of Kingsoft (the only one I've even briefly messed with that isn't Drive.)

I think assuming that LibreOffice is necessarily the more capable product is a bad assumption; there really are Android apps that outstrip their best Linux competition. An example of such an app (not a word processor, but you get the idea) is ezPDF, which beats every PDF annotator available on Linux, including that $85 USD monstrosity in the Software Center.

I got along fine as a student with Linux and OO. I don't really see the jump from that to Android as an extraordinary one.

KBD47
December 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM
10" is fairly small, though. For many people (myself included,) typing 20+ pages on a netbook wouldn't be unreasonable, but it wouldn't be ideal, either.

And as KiwiNZ mentioned, even if the keyboard and screen size are manageable, the editing stage on a tablet is usually not going to be as nice as on a laptop or desktop. Again, maybe Surface. (Android does Ctrl+ [Arrow] but not Ctrl + Backspace or Ctrl+ Shift + [Arrow], and iPad has no trackpad, so neither one offers a particularly complete way to navigate the document in the editing process.)

I actually prefer to edit on a tablet. First, my books looks more like the written page when the tablet is in portrait mode. I use King soft software to go over the document, making corrections where needed. It saves my last place, so I can easily find where it left off. I can do another edited listening to the text to speech using a tablet, listening for inconsistent passages. The tablet is far underestimated as a device for editing documents.

KBD47
December 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Im sure their fine, but as much as I hate to say it, Micrsoft Word is far superior to anything else out there. When it comes to complex formating nothing compares, not even Libre Office. How well do those programs do the .doc format?

I'm editing whole books using them on the tablet, doc format is preferred. They all work with Google drive and drop box, and I think Quick office even works with Ever note. I usually also email myself backup copies.

Copper Bezel
December 14th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I actually prefer to edit on a tablet. First, my books looks more like the written page when the tablet is in portrait mode. I use King soft software to go over the document, making corrections where needed. It saves my last place, so I can easily find where it left off. I can do another edited listening to the text to speech using a tablet, listening for inconsistent passages. The tablet is far underestimated as a device for editing documents.

Yeah, I'll print to PDF and mark up drafts on my tablet, although that's after the first round of inline editing. I don't write very linearly, honestly, but depending on what you're writing and your process, I could see initial drafting in landscape and proofing in portrait being enough. I'm almost always moving around the document a lot in drafting and revising, so it wouldn't work for me.

mJayk
December 15th, 2012, 07:19 PM

* Locked down device.
* Forced to a store.
List goes on.

Take it you do some sort of engineering so Ill go easy. I don't understand why tablets hurt your intelligence, all people are saying is

"In the future the tower pc will be smaller and will be mobile, may also contain your phone"

I don't see how this harms your mighty high intelligent horse?

offgridguy
December 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I don't think the mobile fad is going away anytime soon, in fact with windows 8 it has probably gained in prominence, windows 8 phone as example.

Linuxratty
December 15th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I don't think the mobile fad is going away anytime soon, .

Nor do I,but I prefer a full featured computer with keyboard and mouse.

offgridguy
December 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM
nor do i,but i prefer a full featured computer with keyboard and mouse.
+1

Sableyes
December 15th, 2012, 10:39 PM
with keyboard and mouse.

As has been said a number of times in this thread, but keyboard and mice are already available for tablets :-)

Tinker Tantrum
December 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM
No.

Buntu Bunny
December 19th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Nor do I,but I prefer a full featured computer with keyboard and mouse.

Ditto. In fact I'm going to have to get a mouse of some sort for the laptop someone gave me. The touchpad drives me nuts. I like having mobility, but I love my desktop more.

micahpage
December 19th, 2012, 04:22 AM
i doubt it. Even if a smart phone would be able to have 2TB HDD, 3.66 Ghz mutli core processor the same as an average desktop today. By that time, programs would would require maybe 100GB per game, for example. The small devices never will live up to a desktop.

Plus there are some of us that actually despise touch screens, would rather use mouse and keyboard, would rather have a large monitor. Hard core gamers rely on desktops to fullfill the need and we look at the ipods, etc. as useless. If we need it on the go, the laptop would suffice and will always also be better than those types of devices.

Copper Bezel
December 19th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Ditto. In fact I'm going to have to get a mouse of some sort for the laptop someone gave me. The touchpad drives me nuts. I like having mobility, but I love my desktop more.

Gah, this is the one thing I can't stand about using a desktop. All (three) external trackpads for desktops I've seen are fairly pricey, but I'm really looking forward to getting rid of this floppy lasery thing at some point. (I hate that I can't scroll horizontally.) What I really want is a desk-mounted trackpad the size of my Nexus 7.

And yes, there's an app for that, but it's terrible. = )

Bakuda
December 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM
hmm...66. though i think some of these questions were really unnatural. like all the ones about abandoning social interaction. i guess the notepad one makes sense but i can just remember all my ideas anyways.

EDIT: really toasty? raito?

vasa1
December 25th, 2012, 02:13 PM
hmm...66. though i think some of these questions were really unnatural. like all the ones about abandoning social interaction. i guess the notepad one makes sense but i can just remember all my ideas anyways.

EDIT: really toasty? raito?
Go easy on the eggnog ;)

pompel9
December 25th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Desktop will never stop to be made.

I have one very good reason for this conclusion. You cannot run any corporate software on a pad. Imagine how you are going to make a really slow interface like citrix work on a pad. It isn't possible, and will never be possible.
I work in a shop, the cash cannot be a pad. Even a desktop is slow on cash registers, a pad can't handle the workload.

ckrescho
December 26th, 2012, 09:01 PM
No! I am excited to build a computer form scratch in the coming months.