PDA

View Full Version : Which Ubuntu do you use ?

jerrrys
October 27th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Ubuntu (gnome) for me :)

PaulW2U
October 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Was it intentional to miss out Kubuntu?

Had to vote other. :(

Frogs Hair
October 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Ubuntu + Gnome Shell + XFCE Session

Max Blyss
October 27th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Xubuntu reigns supreme in my house.

*Buntu with the front end ripped off and a GNOME Shell transplant is a close second.

deadflowr
October 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM

I agree with this.
Even though I personally have been running plain Ubuntu, I do like Kubuntu.

Edit: poll fixed to include Kubuntu, means my earlier statement is moot.

ErwinC
October 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM
was it intentional to miss out kubuntu?

+1

HermanAB
October 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Which version of Ubuntu do I use?
Fedora.
:)

jerrrys
October 27th, 2012, 05:21 PM

oops .. :roll:

jerrrys
October 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Can't edit it either :oops:

Elfy
October 27th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Done that then :)

jerrrys
October 27th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks Elfy :)

exploder
October 27th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I voted Ubuntu. I like many desktop environments but I like the new ideas that Unity is presenting.

AlexDudko
October 27th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Ubuntu Gnome-shell

PaulW2U
October 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Done that then :)

Now the poll says that I voted Lubuntu which I didn't. ](*,)

I do use Lubuntu but only on my netbook.

Sableyes
October 27th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Ubuntu all the way ^^

oldos2er
October 27th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Kubuntu.

cariboo
October 27th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I use both Ubuntu with the Unity desktop and the Ubuntu Gnome Remix (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes/12.10), which should get official status during this development cycle.

weasel fierce
October 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I've used Ubuntu, Kubuntu and now, I stripped it down to just openbox.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I use Ubuntu most of the time. People give me discarded computers quite often. I fix then up with spare parts and a fresh OS, and use them for a while before giving them away when someone comes along that can use it. If I get a computer with low hardware specs I use Xubuntu. So far, I haven't gotten computers with poor enough specs to use Lubuntu.

madoshwa
October 28th, 2012, 02:38 AM
im running 2 actually. ubuntu and lubuntu :s

vasa1
October 28th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I've used Ubuntu, Kubuntu and now, I stripped it down to just openbox.
Did you follow some guide or did you work it all out by yourself? In either case, it would make an interesting read!
How do various apps (gtk2, gtk3, etc.) look?

Jakin
October 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Kubuntu 12.04.1 64bit, (which i use most of the time- as i vote) on a 64gb JFS patition.
Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit, (with unity) on a 64gb JFS partition as well :) -Ubuntu (with unity) is gonna come in handy for Steam, as for some odd reason, running a full screen game on my Kubuntu, something goes screwy with my panel sizes, and i have to resize them evertime :confused:

Abhinav Kumar
October 28th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Ubuntu 10.10

Erik1984
October 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Kubuntu 12.04.1 64bit, (which i use most of the time- as i vote) on a 64gb JFS patition.
Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit, (with unity) on a 64gb JFS partition as well :) -Ubuntu (with unity) is gonna come in handy for Steam, as for some odd reason, running a full screen game on my Kubuntu, something goes screwy with my panel sizes, and i have to resize them evertime :confused:

I noticed something similar after running Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (which has by default a 800x600 resolution that is different in aspect ratio) through Wine. Widgets on the right were pushed further to the center of the screen when I returned from full screen to desktop. Those quirks aside I really like Kubuntu :P

Erik1984
October 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Ubuntu 10.10

Daredevil ;)

Jakin
October 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I noticed something similar after running Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (which has by default a 800x600 resolution that is different in aspect ratio) through Wine. Widgets on the right were pushed further to the center of the screen when I returned from full screen to desktop. Those quirks aside I really like Kubuntu :P

The way i set my panels up; After exiting a fullscreen game, the top panel extends the entire width of the screen, while the bottom panel tries to implode in on itself, then these changes are automatically written into the config (even though they were locked panels)- logging out does not fix it, i must manually resize all over again :P

Still as you say "quirks aside" ;DD

Wim Sturkenboom
October 28th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I've been a Gnome person from the moment that I started with Linux. I have used XUbuntu as well on lower spec'ed system when Ubuntu became too bloated.

I've played quite a bit with different Window Managers under Slackware and I actually like most (KDE being the least favorite).

RLDr
October 28th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS :guitar:

ccrs8
October 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Xubuntu since 11.04, before that Ubuntu. I saw the writing on the wall re: Unity, so I preemptively switched. Nothing at all against Canonical or the direction they are going with Unity, and I know plenty who like Unity. I'm just a grumpy, stubborn old man trapped in a 30 year old body. I think Windows 2000 was the pinnacle of user interface, which is why the Windows 7 machine at my work looks like like Windows 2000, and which is why all my GNU/Linux machines look that way too (one panel, at the bottom, launcher button in lower left, indicators and clock in lower right). Xfce was easier than Gnome 3 or Unity to make look this way, so I switched.

x-shaney-x
October 28th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Other:

Half using Kororaa and half using Ubuntu Gnome Remix

warrencon
October 28th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'm running Lubuntu 12.10 on an old Compac Presario with a Celeron processor and 512Mb ram. My only problem so far has been getting my USB headset working in a browser when it works fine with Audacity.

Bart_D
October 28th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Which Ubuntu do you use ?

For the Other section you should have listed all those Ubuntu-based distros out there:

1. Linux Mint
2. Voyager Linux
3. Zorin OS
4. Pinguy OS
5. Peppermint OS
6. Elementary OS
7. Trisquel (although they seem too proud to admit it)

I mean, you could have picked a subset of the most popular derivatives from here:
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?basedon=Ubuntu&status=Active

To me, "Other" is not very fair because people need the details.

zer010
October 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Lubuntu 12.04 here on my aged PC. I could get away with Xubuntu, but I really like LXDE. ^_^d
Specs in the sig.

jerrrys
October 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM
For the Other section you should have listed all those Ubuntu-based distros out there:

1. Linux Mint
2. Voyager Linux
3. Zorin OS
4. Pinguy OS
5. Peppermint OS
6. Elementary OS
7. Trisquel (although they seem too proud to admit it)

I mean, you could have picked a subset of the most popular derivatives from here:
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?basedon=Ubuntu&status=Active

To me, "Other" is not very fair because people need the details.

This is a Ubuntu Forum and everything else is other, just like the other os forum :)

scratman
October 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Ubuntu gnome on this machine, Ubuntu Unity on 2 other machines, Lubuntu for my XBMC media centre. Voted Ubuntu as that was the majority of my machines.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Ubuntu gnome on this machine, Ubuntu Unity on 2 other machines, Lubuntu for my XBMC media centre. Voted Ubuntu as that was the majority of my machines.

You could have voted from more than one. Notice that the number of votes is greater than the number of voters.

Peripheral Visionary
October 29th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I like Xubuntu on this very modest 8-year-old Dell Dimension (Celeron processor, 512 RAM), and I found no noticeable difference in speed at all between Xubu and Lubu on it. I love the Xfce interface and the cool widgets I can add to it without tying up resources. I was told I should use Lubu on this old hand-me-down, but it had Xubu 10.04 on it when I "inherited" it, and it runs Xubu 12.04 even a little faster than 10.04! Xubu is quick, pretty, responsive, intuitive, and "beginner friendly."

neu5eeCh
October 29th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Xubuntu reigns supreme in my house.

*Buntu with the front end ripped off and a GNOME Shell transplant is a close second.

Here too. Xubuntu reigns supreme. I tried installing Unity on a new Acer Once Aspire AO722 last night, but it was slow and buggy. By the time I rebooted, all heck broke loose. Came up with a blank purple screen, or a split screen, etc... Probably conflicts with Compiz and who knows what. (Just thought I'd give Unity a try on such a little notebook.) Nuked the install and installed Xubuntu/Voyager. Works like a charm: fast, familiar, stable and just as much real-estate.

I also like the Gnome Shell transplant, though I've been messing around with Gnome Shell Remix 12.10 on a spare partition. Not bad but needs extensions and they tend to be buggy, and still lacks many of the conveniences in XFCE.

Linuxisfast
October 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Ubuntu on my latest icore 5 laptop, bulldozer cpu desktop and Xubuntu on my C50 AMD Brazos netbook which runs smoother with Xubuntu and less hotter.

zombifier25
October 29th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I just install Ubuntu and add whatever DE I want to it.

(but my current laptop isn't a spacious one, so the only DEs I usually use are Unity (for work) and TWM (for play))

COMECON
October 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I discovered Ubuntu with GNOME Shell, it's lovely. I also use Xubuntu when I need precise stability.
By the way, I downgraded to 12.04, maybe I should wait a bit for upgrading.

Sector 7
October 30th, 2012, 02:34 AM
I use Xubuntu for the time being. I like Unity, but I wish the sidebar was a little more extensible. I might switch over after the DE has matured a bit.

mag1strate
October 30th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Last use of ubuntu for me was 8.10. Now after 4 years, I am back to Ubuntu after going through Fedora, OpenSUSE, ArchLinux, Mint, Debian, etc.

I really like Unity btw. I don't understand the hatred of it. I really like it when people try something new.

madinc
October 30th, 2012, 11:31 AM
My only OS.:)