PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard at it again!!!

newbie2
October 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Just yesterday we reported on more Linux users being auto-banned from Diablo III. The circumstances are identical to the ones that occurred back in July, where a number of Linux WineHQ users were caught off guard with auto-bans and no options for refunds or to dispute their case.

After multiple inquiries, Linux user Lenon K. received the following response from Blizzard's automated support system...
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Offers-Help-Zynga-Employees-Taking-Money-From-Linux-Users-48593.html
:twisted:

szymon_g
October 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
well- they don't ban only players of D3, but also of StarCraft 2.
3 days after they starting banning players of Diablo, I got banned.
sure, i've wrote them about Wine etc, but they didn't unban me. but i do not complain- i get my life back!

sffvba[e0rt
October 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Decided to change the title.

This is sad and frustrating. But my opinion is if it is made to run on Windows, then run it on Windows.

newbie2
October 27th, 2012, 11:04 AM
well- they don't ban only players of D3, but also of StarCraft 2.
3 days after they starting banning players of Diablo, I got banned.
sure, i've wrote them about Wine etc, but they didn't unban me. but i do not complain- i get my life back!
comment from PlayOnLinux :
Guys, if you've been banned, please don't let this slide. Report it here! :!: (http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html) Blizzard has gotten away with this crap for too long!

whatthefunk
October 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Easy solution: dont buy Blizzard products.

zombifier25
October 27th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Back in July I read somewhere that these are isolated incidents (because there are countless others playing fine on Linux), and the bans are either errors in the cheat detection system, or they are indeed issued to cheaters. But Blizzard's attitude is simply... worrying.

I still don't know what are the benefits of Blizzard banning Linux users, so I'll wait for an official reply from Blizzard until I jump to conclusion. If they still don't reply, then something shady is definitely going on.

newbie2
October 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I'll wait for an official reply from Blizzard until I jump to conclusion. If they still don't reply, then something shady is definitely going on.
They(Blizzard) DID REPLY (http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Banned-Diablo-3-Linux-Users-Speak-Out-We-Cheaters-44240.html) ... :rolleyes:

Tibuda
October 27th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Easy solution: dont buy Blizzard products.
Better solution: use Windows and enjoy a nice game

whatthefunk
October 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Better solution: use Windows and enjoy a nice game

Thats exactly what they want you to do. There are thousands of other games out there made by companies who dont ban Linux users. Support these games, not the clowns at Blizzard.

JDShu
October 27th, 2012, 10:49 PM
(Activision) Blizzard doesn't even make especially good games these days anyway. SC2 is decent, but a large part of the success is the loyal following the first game had. D3 I hear was disappointing.

Tibuda
October 27th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Thats exactly what they want you to do. There are thousands of other games out there made by companies who dont ban Linux users. Support these games, not the clowns at Blizzard.

Or play both those thousands games and Blizzard games, if I'm interested in them.

alexan
October 28th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Or play both those thousands games and Blizzard games, if I'm interested in them.

"Voting " trough wallet is the main way a client can define a product they want: no wonder companies can annoy (or steal money like blizzard) their paying-clients as much they want if no preference towards good practice is taken.
Quit blizzard, go for Humble Bundle and similar .

Is no matter if you use Windows or Linux, but the willingness of give you support : blizzard doesn't, then you're free to waste your money as much you want.

JDShu
October 28th, 2012, 04:28 AM

Perhaps some people have different preferences from you?

Sector 7
October 28th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I've never bought a Blizzard product,

and reading these stories... I never will...

sffvba[e0rt
October 28th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Nothing wrong with Diablo 3, except that it could never live up to the hype and peoples expectations. I think even SC2 suffered a little from that. (Blizzard did make two iconic games with Diablo II and SC1).

As I want to play both, I purchased them knowing full well the restrictions that are in place (persistantly on-line etc.)... It is after all your choice.

newbie2
October 28th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Lenon K., has actually attempted to change around the image associated with Blizzard's customer support. He's gone out of his way to give them the benefit of the doubt multiple times, in hopes that maybe their handling of previous Linux cases might actually be met with a more civil and humane approach after the initial fallout. Here's what he received in his ticket response from Blizzard, after contacting them multiple times regarding his penalty being lifted...

The status of your Customer Support ticket #32297303 has changed to “Resolved.”

This is the latest response from Customer Support:
This penalty has already been upheld.

That's it. Even if you can prove you're not cheating, Blizzard doesn't care. They don't want to care and they never will. They're a corporation, they operate on profit margins. If they can squeeze fun into a game while meeting those margins, cool beans. If they can't? No big loss. If customers are dissatisfied with the product? No problem just ignore it and keep going. If the forum protests get out of hand? Silence them.

One of our readers made a very accurate account of how bad this situation has become, where a Devon Mullane states...
read on here : http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Nail-Coffin-Linux-Users-Refunds-Discussions-Blizzard-Doesn-t-Care-48680.html
:rolleyes:

Tibuda
October 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Perhaps some people have different preferences from you?

yes, but it should a matter of preference and not boycott

Tibuda
October 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
"Voting " trough wallet is the main way a client can define a product they want: no wonder companies can annoy (or steal money like blizzard) their paying-clients as much they want if no preference towards good practice is taken.
Quit blizzard, go for Humble Bundle and similar .

Is no matter if you use Windows or Linux, but the willingness of give you support : blizzard doesn't, then you're free to waste your money as much you want.

The product many people want is Diablo, not Linux support.

mastablasta
October 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM
i think that blizzar needs to proove they were indeed cheating. and if users are from europe i think they could sue them via customer protection agency or whatever they are called). i am sure somethign similar is in USA. during lawsuit the data will have to be disclosed. now if the users were not cheating and they can prove that then blizzard will have to pay for all costs and also return them the money. not to mention it would reveal their checking methods to public.

Gotti
October 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Diablo 3 was terrible anyway... if I found one more wand with strength rolled on it I was gonnah kill someone. Hence the windows wipe and return to linux! woo!

Honestly I didn't even know D3 would work on wine....glad I didn't try tho, since it's "cheating." ::rolleyes::

whatthefunk
October 29th, 2012, 01:10 AM

So as long as they make the product nothing else matters? Dont care about customer service? The company youve given money to being fair?

sffvba[e0rt
October 29th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Blizzard isn't doing anything intentionally... A very small group of people are playing its games on an operating system they don't officially support. Of this small group some are facing problems with its automated detection system flagging them as cheating. They are unable to verify that these are falls positives and would have to invest a lot of extra resources to come up with a solution to this issue to fix a small problem (in the bigger scheme of things) that isn't even their problem really. They never claimed that the game will work in any operating system outside the version you downloaded.

Tibuda
October 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM
So as long as they make the product nothing else matters? Dont care about customer service? The company youve given money to being fair?

The service is fine if you follow the system requirements, which includes the operating system. You can see the system requirements before buying it.

El Tito
October 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Now that microsoft included digital distribution inside Windows 8, it is possible they will change their minds about linux users, and policies no one understands. If anyone buys your game, does it matter which OS is being run?.

mastablasta
October 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
The service is fine if you follow the system requirements, which includes the operating system. You can see the system requirements before buying it.

does this mean it is mandatory that user uses this system if they want to play the game? or is it just required to run, but can also work on other OS taht are not officialy supported?

Tibuda
October 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM
does this mean it is mandatory that user uses this system if they want to play the game? or is it just required to run, but can also work on other OS taht are not officialy supported?

You can try to play it, but you can't complain if it does not work. You can't expect them to support it.

doorknob60
October 30th, 2012, 12:05 AM
You can try to play it, but you can't complain if it does not work. You can't expect them to support it.
But there's a difference between it simply not working, and it banning you and not giving you your money back. At that point, you can no longer play it, even in Windows, so yeah, it is a problem.

alexan
October 30th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Take your money + kick you out with no possible way to get refund or futer explication.

You like a company who act this way once they find you "guilty".

well, your money; and you're absolutely free to waste them as much do you like.

Blizzard isn't doing anything intentionally... A very small group of people are playing its games on an operating system they don't officially support. Of this small group some are facing problems with its automated detection system flagging them as cheating. They are unable to verify that these are falls positives and would have to invest a lot of extra resources to come up with a solution to this issue to fix a small problem (in the bigger scheme of things) that isn't even their problem really. They never claimed that the game will work in any operating system outside the version you downloaded.

if I see a company (or whatever group of people) that come to my town and begin kicks my fellow neighbors.... I don't need to know that they are just few or "maybe" they -deserve- that to realize that a bad company came in town.

See what did happens with Ouya?

the only way to have good products AND good companies is to support them or teach them a lesson the right time, otherwise .....