PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is it safe to install NVIDIA drivers in Ubuntu 12.10 yet

proggy
October 27th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I don`t want to install the drivers and have no Unity after reboot.
Was the bug fixed?

mikewhatever
October 27th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Can you post a link to the bug report.

proggy
October 27th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Wow no i can`t i just know there was a bug reports done just before the final release and it wasn;t fixed as lots of people still had issues.

cbennett926
October 27th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Wow no i can`t i just know there was a bug reports done just before the final release and it wasn;t fixed as lots of people still had issues.

Woooah there buddy, let's calm down here and try and take this with a mature stance. A lovely gentleman was trying to help you, you owe him and everyone else an apology. If your going to talk like that then you need to take your questions elsewhere. But to answer your question, yes you can install nVidia drivers, I currently am running them. I have used each of the drivers and they do work just fine. The bug you may have been referring to was this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/1070392

mc4man
October 27th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Before installing proprietary drivers (nvidia or fglxr) first run this command to make sure it's installed

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic

proggy
October 27th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Woooah there buddy, let's calm down here and try and take this with a mature stance. A lovely gentleman was trying to help you, you owe him and everyone else an apology. If your going to talk like that then you need to take your questions elsewhere. But to answer your question, yes you can install nVidia drivers, I currently am running them. I have used each of the drivers and they do work just fine. The bug you may have been referring to was this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/1070392
woops i don`t think my reply came out as intended , it was not meant to be fresh or sarcastic as i really forgot the link where i saw the bug report and thank you fine sir for the link

proggy
October 27th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Before installing proprietary drivers (nvidia or fglxr) first run this command to make sure it's installed

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
And thank you as they were not updated so let`s go for broke with installing the NVIDIA drivers

mikewhatever
October 27th, 2012, 04:24 AM
woops i don`t think my reply came out as intended , it was not meant to be fresh or sarcastic as i really forgot the link where i saw the bug report and thank you fine sir for the link

No worries, I was just curious.

PS: Isn't linux-headers-generic installed by default on 64bit systems?

proggy
October 27th, 2012, 04:27 AM

PS: Isn't linux-headers-generic not installed by default on 64bit systems?
Well i'm not sure i did an upgrade from 12.04 might;ve been something gone wrong while installing

proggy
October 27th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Installed NVIDIA drivers ,rebooted ,Unity is there thank you all!!!

mc4man
October 27th, 2012, 04:44 AM

PS: Isn't linux-headers-generic not installed by default on 64bit systems?
Something has changed in 12.10 so no they (the meta & actual packages) are no longer installed by default
This is causing all sorts of issues with sources that use dkms, the modules aren't being built
(and if users use the 'additional drivers' interface then they have no idea about this as it installs silently

The bug (one of many) directly on nvidia-* has been marked 'won't fix', on dpkg marked 'wishlist'
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/1068341

I've an additional one on ubiquity that's being ignored
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1068488

robtygart
October 27th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Woooah there buddy, let's calm down here and try and take this with a mature stance. A lovely gentleman was trying to help you, you owe him and everyone else an apology. If your going to talk like that then you need to take your questions elsewhere.

What? Thats an odd response, you must be joking hehe:confused:!

It was a good statment, "If Ubuntu had control over the crappy nvidia drivers." I am had the same problem, I stayed with Kubuntu, even with Kubuntu I am having trouble, so far I had the best luck with The expermintal driver.

I am sure you know if not

Settings > Software sources > Additional Drivers

Edit: I see its been solved, but the above worked for me.