PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how can I run script files from the desktop?

s1baker
October 26th, 2012, 10:01 PM
hi,

I have a script file that I wrote and I can click on it with the mouse while using the file manager and it will run just fine.
It first asks if I want to run in the terminal or just run. Selecting "run in terminal" brings up a terminal, and the script file
asks for several inputs and then echos out to the terminal what it has done.

When I try to make a link on the desktop ( I use xfce ), the script will not do anything, doesn't ask if I want to run it in a terminal or run.

Anybody know how to run a script from the desktop?

Thanks

LewisTM
October 27th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Best to create an application launcher on the desktop (right click it) and set it to run in a terminal.

For the command, use the full path of your script located on the file system.

Cheers!

s1baker
October 27th, 2012, 02:46 AM
thanks

That worked. I have it now on the desktop and it will run from there.

Now, I want to put it in a lancher that is in one of my panels, but when I go to add the app ( the script I wrote ) to the launcher, all I can see is a list of applications that one can add to the launcher, but no way of navigating to the folder that contains my script that I want.

s1baker
October 27th, 2012, 03:07 AM
I followed your instructions for the desktop similar on the panel launcher and figured out how to set the laucher up to run a script like on the desktop. So I am able to run the script from the panel now like on the desktop. The more one learns how to set things up, the neater it is.
Thanks again.