PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need space to upgrade

wsfield99
October 26th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I have included a screen shot showing my current hard drive configuration. I would like to upgrade to the new version of Ubuntu but I do not have enough space on my active partition. As you can see I have about 23 gigs of unformatted room left on my hard drive. What do I need to do to move my current settings (which took me a long time to configure), so that I can create more space and perform a successful upgrade? Thanks in advance, Scott

funicorn
October 26th, 2012, 09:15 PM
You need to reboot and boot into ubuntu livecd.

In the livecd, open terminal, type `sudo gparted`, then in gparted:

1. You need to shrink the extended partition and enlarge the root partition, both of which can be done by right-clicking on the target partition and choosing 'resize partition'.

1. Shrink the extended partition to a smaller size. Make sure the RESULTED blank space is in front of the extended partition, NOT after it.

2. Enlarge the root partition. Make sure the new blank space is added to the TAIL of the root partition, NOT to the head of it.

3. How large your root partition can be depends how much of the extended partition is shrank.

4. Do that with CAUTION. Make sure every single click is without mistake. After the steps, remember to click on the 'Apply' button in the gparted panel, then reboot your compute.

dino99
October 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
what you should do:

-inside sda2 extended partition, create a swap partition and a /home partition
- then set /etc/fstab with the new uuids

Formatting/creating partition(s) need to be done on unmounted partition. So from a livecd/usb, use gparted to do it. Later you will be able to move your data & settings into the new /home partition instead of actual home folder.

here is how i do installation:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11843514&postcount=9

and here my fstab as an example to set yours: (sudo gedit /etc/fstab)

proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
#
UUID=9e61e83e-bca9-43cf-aa90-5a68892213fa / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=5d8d1ee1-f5af-40a1-a45d-dbc570808523 /home ext3 defaults,relatime 0 2
UUID=0a9ca7f0-6eeb-4b21-b70f-670fa600de16 none swap sw 0 0

lykwydchykyn
October 26th, 2012, 09:19 PM
If you don't already do it regularly, it may be sufficient just to do:

sudo apt-get clean

This cleans out the package cache, which can get quite huge after doing updates for a long time.

Otherwise, this may be a good time to move /home to a separate partition. I recommend doing this in case you ever need to reinstall Ubuntu from disc.

See this link for a how-to:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving

wsfield99
October 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM
If you don't already do it regularly, it may be sufficient just to do:

sudo apt-get clean
This cleans out the package cache, which can get quite huge after doing updates for a long time.

Otherwise, this may be a good time to move /home to a separate partition. I recommend doing this in case you ever need to reinstall Ubuntu from disc.

See this link for a how-to:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving

I've run sudo apt-get clean and still do not have enough space. I have been trying to follow the instructions in the above link but I am stuck on the Setup Fstab step. This step requires that you add the following lines however I do not understand exactly what is required. # (identifier) (location, eg sda5) (format, eg ext 3 or 4) (some settings) UUID=??????? /media/home ext 3 nodev, nosuid 0 2. This is my information /dev/sda1: UUID="3536ac82-a5a0-42ec-96f3-4861cc4dff44" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="KINGSTON" UUID="FE2E-8B8B" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda5: UUID="7f2a3e16-6d15-452a-a1cf-7eb8e72c12c3" TYPE="ext4" , I just don't know how to format it correctly for the Fstab. Thanks again in advance, Scott

wsfield99
October 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I've run sudo apt-get clean and still do not have enough space. I have been trying to follow the instructions in the above link but I am stuck on the Setup Fstab step. This step requires that you add the following lines however I do not understand exactly what is required. # (identifier) (location, eg sda5) (format, eg ext 3 or 4) (some settings) UUID=??????? /media/home ext 3 nodev, nosuid 0 2. This is my information /dev/sda1: UUID="3536ac82-a5a0-42ec-96f3-4861cc4dff44" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="KINGSTON" UUID="FE2E-8B8B" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda5: UUID="7f2a3e16-6d15-452a-a1cf-7eb8e72c12c3" TYPE="ext4" , I just don't know how to format it correctly for the Fstab. Thanks again in advance, Scott

critin
October 28th, 2012, 04:18 PM
What I have done successfully is boot into live cd/usb and delete the extended partition. Then resize the main to take up the unused space.

There is always danger of losing something when messing with partitions, but this has worked for me.