PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No internet access in other OS after installing 12.10

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I installed Ubuntu 12.10 in its own disk/partition and a different disk contains an installation of Linux Mint 13.

I can still boot Linux Mint, everything works but no app has internet access. The wired connection shows OK and the System monitor even shows occasional network activity. The other thing I noticed is that Mint time is now wrong by several hours.

The Ubuntu install was just experimental, but I do important work in the Mint OS which is now apparently useless without internet access. What's happening?

2F4U
October 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Do you have internet access in Ubuntu?

darkod
October 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM
The ubuntu installation has nothing to do with how another OS works. When on separate partitions, the OSs are exactly that, separate. If there is a Mint forum I suggest you seek some advice for troubleshooting there, I don't know Mint.

dino99
October 26th, 2012, 04:29 PM
with some hardware, networkmanager is a nightmare. If you can install wicd from /var/cache/apt/archives/ using dpkg -i , then you are lucky.

did you ping somewhere to check eth0 ? what says ifconfig ? have you paid your isp ? (joke)

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Do you have internet access in Ubuntu?

Yes Ubuntu 12.10 works fine, it even works with the MATE shell!

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 04:37 PM
The ubuntu installation has nothing to do with how another OS works. When on separate partitions, the OSs are exactly that, separate. If there is a Mint forum I suggest you seek some advice for troubleshooting there, I don't know Mint.

Yes, that should be so. The 2 disks even have their own bootloader. I mounted the Mint partition from Ubuntu 12.10, so I thought maybe the mountmanager (erroneously) changed permissions or something...

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM
with some hardware, networkmanager is a nightmare. If you can install wicd from /var/cache/apt/archives/ using dpkg -i , then you are lucky.

did you ping somewhere to check eth0 ? what says ifconfig ? have you paid your isp ? (joke)

I didn't ping, I ran ifconfig and lshw -c network and got what appears to be a normal connection.

darkod
October 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yes, that should be so. The 2 disks even have their own bootloader. I mounted the Mint partition from Ubuntu 12.10, so I thought maybe the mountmanager (erroneously) changed permissions or something...

Don't blame the mountmanager. The computer does what you tell it to do. :)

Usually mounting and touching system partitions of another OS is a bad idea. That's why you create shared data partitions and you can access them from any OS.

If you are talking about wi-fi connection it could be disabled now in a way, but this is only pure speculation.

If it uses dhcp, first check if it receives a correct IP in your range. Then start pinging, the home router first. Then a public IP like 8.8.8.8. Then a domain.

If ping by IP works but by domain doesn't, it's dns issue and check the dns configuration in Mint.

Etc, etc...

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Don't blame the mountmanager. The computer does what you tell it to do. :)

Usually mounting and touching system partitions of another OS is a bad idea. That's why you create shared data partitions and you can access them from any OS.

If you are talking about wi-fi connection it could be disabled now in a way, but this is only pure speculation.

If it uses dhcp, first check if it receives a correct IP in your range. Then start pinging, the home router first. Then a public IP like 8.8.8.8. Then a domain.

If ping by IP works but by domain doesn't, it's dns issue and check the dns configuration in Mint.

Etc, etc...

Thank you, I mounted the ext4 partition to fetch some files I needed, isn't that what computers are for?

ok so ping 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.1.1 worked but domains like att.net, yahoo, google and morningstar returned "unknown host"...

I googled "dns configuration" and it looks like a technical nightmare. What happened here, that OS was working just fine?

dino99
October 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/wicd.deb

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/wicd.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/wicd.deb

Both installations have the same computer/host name, could that be spooking the router?

dino99
October 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
dpkg does need to go on internet, use nautilus to search about wicd on your hdd(s) (maybe its registered name is not exactly "wicd", i cant check on my side)

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 06:16 PM
dpkg does need to go on internet, use nautilus to search about wicd on your hdd(s) (maybe its registered name is not exactly "wicd", i cant check on my side)

Thank you. Apparently there is a known bug:

Intermittent DNS Resolution Failure Linux Mint 13 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1023392)

and the link leads to a script that supposedly fixes the problem:

#!/bin/bash

clear

# Test for UID=0
if [ "$(echo $UID)" != "0" ]
then
echo “You must be superuser to run this program. Try ‘sudo ./fixmint13.sh’”
exit
fi

sed -i -e 's/dns=dnsmasq/#dns=dnsmasq/g' /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
resolvconf --create-runtime-directories
resolvconf --enable-updates

reboot

gonna try it...

dino99
October 26th, 2012, 06:20 PM
hey we like mint too, but here its an ubuntu forum; next time you'll get fired :(

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 06:49 PM
hey we like mint too, but here its an ubuntu forum; next time you'll get fired :(

Thank you, well I thought Ubuntu did something when I mounted the disk to do some work. Mint is basically Ubuntu 12.10 with a modified gnome.

The script didn't work, so I have a disabled OS and I can't do any work today.... and I'm at my beach house in NC and there's a hurricane warning for Cape Fear.

darkod
October 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
As I said, I don't know Mint 13 but there must be an easy way to set up manual dns servers. In Ubuntu it's quite easy in Network Manager.

Basically, you have to tell it to receive an IP automatically from your router, but use the dns servers that you tell it to use. If you don't know your ISP servers you can use Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Rebelli0us
October 26th, 2012, 07:44 PM
As I said, I don't know Mint 13 but there must be an easy way to set up manual dns servers. In Ubuntu it's quite easy in Network Manager.

Basically, you have to tell it to receive an IP automatically from your router, but use the dns servers that you tell it to use. If you don't know your ISP servers you can use Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Thank you. It's like most things in life, once you know it, it's easy! But I don't...

The OS basically self-destructed.

It's faster to reinstall than try to fix it, and waste more of your precious time and mine.

jdthood
October 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
If resolvconf is installed in Mint, make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is a symbolic link to ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf. If it isn't, create the symlink or run "dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf".