PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing on Lenovo IdeaPad S11

graym
October 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hey guys,

I recently installed ubuntu 12.10 onto my Lenovo IdeaPad S110 and it keeps bringing me to an impassable screen. After I input my encryption key I am brought to an empty screen with a flashing command line, but i am unable to type anything on the line. The only way text appears is if I hit the ppwer button on the laptop and then i fires through some lines of text that just say that it is ending all processes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and preferrably in layman's terms :)

Fraoch
October 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Is anything going on when you get to this screen? Is the hard drive being accessed? Leave it for a few minutes to see if anything happens.

When you press the power button and it says it's ending all processes, that means some have started, which is a good sign actually.

graym
October 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Nothing happens once I arrive at this screen. I left the screen for 30 minutes and came back to the same situation (blank screen with flashing command line at the top with none of my keyboard strokes registering).

graym
October 27th, 2012, 03:52 AM
bump

plz help me guys! I'm stranded in China without my laptop!

Fraoch
October 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Do you still have the install CD? You can use that as a live CD and at least get some (slow) functionality out of it.

I hope someone else can come in here because I'm not fully familiar with what to do or how to do it, but a few things to investigate:

- pressing SHIFT just after the BIOS screen (i.e. just before you get your unresponsive cursor) should get you to the GRUB menu. What you can do from there...hopefully someone else can chime in.

- pressing F6 just after that, at least on the install CD, brings up boot options. There may be a safe graphics mode or you can boot with the "nomodeset" option. However this is if you're having graphics issues and it's only for the install CD, it sounds like your issues are deeper than that.

The best thing, really, would be to reinstall.

Hope someone else has more advice...

graym
October 28th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I actually ran ubuntu from a usb drive when I first installed it. I might give it another go, though. Thank you for your ongoing help Fraoch. It is very much appreciated.