PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with merge list::::

arnicainthemembrane
October 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hi, this whole issue started when I was trying to update with an intermittent wifi connection. I got a bug report and the following:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_restricted _binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

I reported the issue and cut and pasted the above to Launchpad. But there hasn't been any movement on the issue, from what I can tell.

Is there some way i can fix the problem myself, or, that failing, is it possible to do a reinstall without losing any data/ presently installed applications? (I'm asking because I'm traveling and don't have my backup drive)

thanks

dino99
October 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
simply delete the borked package list inside /var/lib/apt/lists/...

arnicainthemembrane
October 26th, 2012, 12:25 PM
delete the borked package list? what does that mean? and how do i do it? thanks!

grahammechanical
October 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Open a terminal and run these two commands.

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -rf

That command removes/deletes all the scripts in the lists folder. This command replaces them.

sudo apt-get update

That is what worked for me when I had this problem. Actually this is the only script that has the problem:

archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_restricted _binary-i386_Packages

So just removing that would work just as well.

Regards.

arnicainthemembrane
October 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
brilliant. thank you.