PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Desktop enviroment gone after updating graphic drivers 12.10

DoktornTheFirst
October 26th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Hi!

Been using Ubuntu for quite a while a had been sticking to the last LTS-version until yesterday when I decided it was time for something new and exciting so I installed the new version 12.10. I wasn't totally happy since I felt it was quite a bit slower. Then I discovered I hadn't gotten the new drivers for my Nvidia GeForce G 105M so I installed it (via terminal but can't remember the exact phrases I used) and was greeted by a new screen right at start-up where I wrote my password to unlock my encrypted hard drive (before it was more terminal-like). And when I logged in to my user it felt more smooth and faster.

There is only one, big, problem; The whole desktop environment is gone. No taskbar, no menues/icons to the left, no ability to tab between windows.
I have some documents and folders on my desktop and they all show and open perfectly fine and by them I went to usr/bin and opened firefox. So here I am. How do I get my desktop enviroment back?

(I can also use the short-command Ctrl+Alt+T to open the terminal)

DoktornTheFirst
October 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I should learn to search before I ask questions. I found help in another thread which can be found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2072862&highlight=desktop+environment+nvidia) if someone else is having the same problem.