PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommendation for Dimension 4300 (12.10 too much for the old beast)

Regretfulone
October 26th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I recently decided to wipe out the windows xp install on an old dimension 4300 I had and I uploaded 12.10 on to it. It worked fine from the live cd on install but after I rebooted I could log in and then the desktop would not load. I figured it might be a problem with not having enough RAM and upgraded that. I am now running 1GB of RAM on it and still I am having issues with it loading. I think it might just be a little too old for the latest and greatest of Ubuntu. What would be a good older version to start with that would actually run on my Dimension until I build my new CPU (very excited about this as its my first!)

Bashing-om
October 26th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I think that it should at least load up //might be laggy, but should load.
As you can get a terminal; what is the result of:

sudo service lightdm start
just try'n to help <==BDQ

Regretfulone
October 26th, 2012, 01:55 AM
It says job is already running. It's not that it is laggy, I can pull up terminal easily, I think that my video card may not be compatible with the OS. Nvidia NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] is the video card. I was actually thinking I might just try and use the server for it instead as it was eventually going to be turned into a server anyway. If I do that, what version would be best? And how would I go about getting the wireless adapter software installed so that the server would work

EDIT: Did a bit more research, I think I am going to be best off installing kubuntu on it. I found an article and someone got kubuntu to work with the same graphics card. I think I just need to get a live CD and wipe and then start over with the kubuntu

kurt18947
October 26th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Kubuntu is not generally regarded as 'light'. Have you considered/tried Lubuntu? Not sure about video support though.

mastablasta
October 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Kubuntu is not generally regarded as 'light'. Have you considered/tried Lubuntu? Not sure about video support though.

it can be quite light if you turn off effects and a few services. 180 MB ram or so....