PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 wont install.

Altheas
October 25th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Okay so I've tried to install this operating system 3 times now. And i realized that with every new version of ubuntu it gets more and more difficult for my to get it to work on this computer. Which really doesn't make any sense to me since my computer really isn't that old/bad. I really really wish to give ubuntu a fair chance but I've tried everything I could possibly think of which is why i'm here. When I put boot the operating system (from my flash drive) to try to install it, it goes like into a console state where it seems to be loading my devices. then it stops. and it stays there. I don't believe it to have frozen though. What i think is that its a graphics problem. Thats what it has been with 10.04, 10.10, and 11.04 (back when i last installed ubunut). My way of actually being able to install those older ones though was through installing it with the alternative version and then disabling the UI at the login screen and installing the graphics drivers through the terminal. But now I can't even seem to get the alternative version of 12.04 working... Is there any any any ideas on how I can this working with ease like most of these other people?!?!

Thank you so much for the kind and prompt response.

Specs of my computer:

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
RAM: DDR2 8GBs 1333 Speed
Motherboard: P5QC P45 Chipset
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti.

critin
October 26th, 2012, 01:52 AM
When I put boot the operating system (from my flash drive) to try to install it,

I can't help with the install but sometimes it doesn't install from boot. Have you ran it in TRY lIVE mode to check that everything works before trying to install? I always install from the desktop option in the Try mode after running through a few programs/apps.

There is also a third place to install from, I think it's in the Dash. For some unknown reason, 12.04 gave me a problem finding the right place to install from. Others were troubled too.

sir.sargento
October 26th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I'm sorry I am a little lost. Are you trying to upgrade an existing install? Or a doing clean install?

Also for what its worth I have installed Ubuntu many times by downloading the cd iso image from the ubuntu website and burning it to a DVD. Never failed on me once.

grahammechanical
October 26th, 2012, 12:21 PM
You do not give much information about what is happening. Until you do we will be guessing about your situation.

Do you get the purple screen with an icon of a human with its arms out stretched and an icon of a keyboard? If so, then do this:

1) Press Enter.

2) at the language selection screen - select your language (Default is English). Press Enter.

3) At the TRY - Install Ubuntu screen press F6 - Other options and from the list scroll down to nomodeset and press Enter to select that option and then press Esc go get back to the TRY - INSTALL screen.

4) Select either TRY Ubuntu or INSTALL Ubuntu.

Regards.

Altheas
October 30th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Okay sorry for the late response i was out of town. But okay let me be a bit more descriptive.

1) it boots up and i get the main menu
2) i select to install or live desktop. (it doesn't matter because either way it gives me the same problem.)
3) it loads and keeps loading and keeps loading and then all of a sudden it stops. than it stays there for ever.

But what i THINK is happening is that visually it stops. like i'm actually at the desktop but my screen doesn't like "refresh" itself in order for me to see the desktop. this happened to me before on the other versions of Ubuntu as well. but before i was able to install the alternative version and then when i boot up the operating system i could disable gnome (at the time) and through the terminal install the nvidia drivers which then after i was able to view the desktop. But this time i can't even install the alternative version. So i'm a bit stuck. I hope this helps please if there is anything else that is needed to be known to solve this problem please let me know.