PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Packages from cdrom?

Randymanme
October 25th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Hello,

I'm presently without an internet connection -- I'm at the public library right now.

It's my understanding that packages can be installed to Ubuntu from CD/DVD without having to have an internet connection. But there must be something I'm missing here. Synaptic package manager>respositories (for those Ubuntu releases or Ubuntu-derivatives the have synaptic package manager) has a place to select installation from CDROM: just put in the disc. But I haven't had it work for me at all -- not on Ubuntu, Ultimate Edition, Pinguy, or Mint. As it is, I have Ubuntu, Ultimate Edition, Pinguy installed so that I can use all the packages I want without having to have an internet connection to download and install them all on any one install.

12.10 :confused: by the way is especially unusable; no synaptic, no gdebi, no gparted, no screensaver . . .. Is there someway I can just download an update for a fresh install? So far, I haven't the dependencies on any of my installed OSes the install APtonCD. Is this what the Alternate Install CD is for?

Having wait in line for an hour slot on a public computer is severely limiting my googling opportunities so it's more efficacious to just ask.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

newb85
October 26th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I'm guessing you're not in the library anymore, but I'll answer anyways.

You have to enable the CD/DVD source before it can be used.

In the Ubuntu Software tab of Software Sources (in Software Center, Edit>Software Sources), at the bottom, make sure your removable media is checked. Once that's done and the CD/DVD is in place, you may have to run

sudo apt-get update
for the software to show up in the Software Center.