PDA

View Full Version : Individuals: Join Linux Foundation !

newbie2
October 25th, 2012, 03:35 PM
By becoming a member of the Linux Foundation you are helping the organization that employs Linus Torvalds and has a full set of programs to advance the Linux platform. Your support will go a long way in enhancing, promoting and protecting Linux for generations to come.

All New Benefits

Save up to 40% on purchases with Employee Pricing at Dell, HP and Lenovo
Lifetime @Linux.com Email Address Option
See full list of benefits below

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/join/individual
:popcorn:

MasterNetra
October 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/join/individual

Absolutely! If you send me the $99 or so needed, because I don't have it.

QIII
October 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM
And ...

You get several newsletters and stuff every month to fill your inbox and make you feel important!

ssam
October 25th, 2012, 10:11 PM
wow. up to 40% off Dell, HP and Lenovo could pay for itself pretty quickly. i'd be interested to know how well that works. if it actually means 5% or 10% off a limited selection laptops, then it might not be worth it.

Warpnow
October 25th, 2012, 10:31 PM
wow. up to 40% off Dell, HP and Lenovo could pay for itself pretty quickly. i'd be interested to know how well that works. if it actually means 5% or 10% off a limited selection laptops, then it might not be worth it.

Dell, HP, and Lenovo all do the same thing.

If they expect to sell a laptop for $360-$480, they price it at $600, then always offer between 20% and 40% off, every time you visit the website the discount is different, changes based on what they want to sell it for that week or month.

Essentially, a 40% off coupon just means you pay the price they have it at when they run a "sale", but you don't have to actually wait for one to roll around or google for a coupon code.

newbie2
October 25th, 2012, 10:46 PM
And, this month we're offering an additional, really big, one-time-only perk: 50 percent off of LinuxCon Europe when you join The Linux Foundation by October 31. This discount pays for the individual membership more than two times over! The event takes place in Barcelona in just a couple of weeks - November 5-7, 2012 - so if you're planning to go but haven't registered yet, you should definitely take advantage of this offer.

Linus will be speaking at the event, as will Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth (http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/167-amanda-mcpherson/655631-individuals-join-linux-foundation-before-halloween-and-receive-12-off-linuxcon-barcelona) and other notable industry leaders and developers. There are also eight co-located events ranging from Yocto Developer Day to the OpenSAF European Symposium. The complete event schedule can be found on our Linux Foundation events website.

sffvba[e0rt
October 26th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Funny, I would have thought the idea in joining would be to support the foundation and therefor Linux. I would have thought the other benifits where just a little icing on the cake.

ssam
October 26th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Funny, I would have thought the idea in joining would be to support the foundation and therefor Linux. I would have thought the other benifits where just a little icing on the cake.

that as well :-) though $99 dollars is big for a personal donation.

lisati
October 26th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Good point. As much as I like the idea, I have other priorities for using my money at the moment.

sffvba[e0rt
October 27th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Keep in mind it is an annual donation, $8.75 p/m sounds better I guess :p

xedi
October 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM
It's only $25 for students o_O, I'm tempted...

Warpnow
October 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I just think the $99 should include the email address forever. Having to pay an extra $150 for the email address not to be lost seems pretty frustrating.

What if you start using the email address, it becomes your main point of contact/registration, then, you suddenly don't have the $99 for the next year or the $150 for keeping the email?

They don't even have to provide email space, just let you autoforward it to another email.

Just a thought.

ugm6hr
October 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I think this will be my Christmas donation this year - seems obvious to support the kernel over individual apps - not sure why I haven't thought of this before!

ssam
November 25th, 2012, 11:29 PM
i signed up. the current offer for dell uk 2% for purchases up to £599, 5% up to £1299 and 8% above £1300. lenovo uk is £75 off (compared to normal prices) systems exluding x131. hp uk seems to be 15% off all laptops (but quite few have 10% off on the normal site).

i can't see 40% anywhere, but i imagine the offers vary.

all in all it looks like you break even on most laptops, though for some models you might do almost as well with normal deals. if you are buying several laptops, then its very good. if you take into account that $99 is going to LF then its great.