PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do I down-grade back to 12.04? (failed on 12.10)

writebunny
October 25th, 2012, 05:38 AM
When I got the system prompt to upgrade to 12.10, I just clicked it and let it run.

12.04 was running smooth as silk - and I'm now wanting to go back to it. How do I do that?

12.10 says it can't find / can't upgrade / can't install:
Linux kernel image for version 3.5.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
and
Generic Linux kernel image

I'm tired of messing with 12.10 and trying to get it to find these missing things.

How do I go back to 12.04?

robert shearer
October 25th, 2012, 06:22 AM
You re-install it from scratch, there is no roll-back.

When I got the system prompt to upgrade to 12.10, I just clicked it and let it run.

Which is why, as the administrator of your own computer, it is wise to check any changes before making them...

There are inummerable threads here about teething problems with 12.04 to 12.10, reading some of those would have been of use in your decision rather than just being a click-bunny. :-(

A quick browse of the forums would find advice on trying the new o/s from a live cd/usb drive first to see if hardware and programs were supported.

You would also discover that a fresh install is generally less problematic than an upgrade especially when moving from a LTS install to a 'tween release. (was there anything wrong with 12.04 ?, was it broken, )

Whatever you do now....BACKUP YOUR DATA before taking the next step.

2F4U
October 25th, 2012, 08:03 AM

12.04 was running smooth as silk - and I'm now wanting to go back to it. How do I do that?

12.10 says it can't find / can't upgrade / can't install:
Linux kernel image for version 3.5.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
and
Generic Linux kernel image

I'm tired of messing with 12.10 and trying to get it to find these missing things.

You must have changed something in the notification about the next release, since usually when you run a LTS release you are only notified about the next LTS. Since 12.10 is no LTS you normally wouldn't be notified about it.

With respect to your question, unfortunately the answer is fresh install. There is no way to downgrade from 12.10 to 12.04.