PDA

View Full Version : This Made Me Chuckle (and Appreciate Ubuntu Even More!)

drmrgd
October 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hope someone else gets a laugh out of this...

My work computer is Windows 7 due to strict rules (although I am able to run Ubuntu in a VM on top of it). I need to use Outlook to access my email, meeting scheduling, etc. Very often, as it happens, we pass all kinds of data and documents around in the form of attachments, and usually, I have to right click the attachment, choose save as..., and choose where to save it. There's usually flurries of emails between several of us in a row while we're working on a similar project, and I'd like to keep these attachments together or else I'll start losing stuff. I know there are much better ways of sharing data across networks, but on this network, the way it's set up, that's a rabbit hole down which you don't want to climb (besides, that's not the point of the story!).

Each time I need to save an attachment, the default location is Libraries / Documents, which is just a complete general dump for any kind of data, as Windows sees it. Maybe it's the carpal tunnel starting to set in, or maybe it's the shoulder issues from who knows what, or maybe I'm just turning into a plain curmudgeon, but I'm tired of having to mouse around and go through a dozen clicks just to save a file where I like. I know many applications will have a setting that will allow you to remember the last save location, or at least allow you to change the default, which would really be helpful.

So, I set about the task of trying to change the default attachment save location. After a few minutes of searching around Google, not believing what I'm finding, I learned that the only way to change the default save location in Outlook is to change a registry key! Excel and Word can be changed in the options menu. But for some reason Outlook requires a change to the registry to do this!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252732

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/outlook/thread/69a963e1-a2f4-44a4-b338-6fd3bc7c6030

Of course, as this is a secure network, there's no way in the world I can have admin rights on my computer. So, I need to have a staff member of the IT department come in just to save the default location of my attachments in Outlook! Of course, I won't do it - that's a completely frivolous request and a total waste of their time. But, I can't believe I need admin rights to change the default save location of Outlook!

Anyway, the insanity of it made me laugh.

black veils
October 24th, 2012, 05:16 PM
haha i can imagine how tedious that must be.

MG&TL
October 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I am surprised windows doesn't have a per-user registry. That just seems like an obvious feature. But hey, maybe not.

Nice story. :)

Karlchen
October 24th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Annotation:

I am surprised windows doesn't have a per-user registry. Windows has got a user specific registry part (HKCU - Hive key current user) and a system wide registry part (HKLM - Hive key local machine).

Karl

MG&TL
October 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Annotation:
Windows has got a user specific registry part (HKCU - Hive key current user) and a system wide registry part (HKLM - Hive key local machine).

Karl

Ahah. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

drmrgd
October 24th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Hmmmm...knowing that I usually can't do anything at all on this computer (I can't even set the default web browser with admin rights), I never bothered to see if this was in a user specific registry portion. I'll have to have a look just to satisfy my curiosity.

Still, you'd think something that simple wouldn't required something as "complex" - or at least that's what I'd think. :P