PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.10 - lightweight gnome - dash search not working

flycast
October 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Brand new installation on a virtual machine. Installed Ubuntu server 12.10 and then Gnome without recommends:

sudo aptitude install --without-recommends ubuntu-desktop

The dash home search for applications is not working. I have tested it with "terminal" and "system". Nothing works.

grahammechanical
October 24th, 2012, 06:32 PM
That is because the Dash home search will find recently used applications and documents. To find installed applications you need to search the Dash applications lens. Give it a little time because it needs build and retrieve its index files.

Open the Dash and click the second icon from the left at the bottom of the Dash, or press Super + A.

You may also search for 'help' in the applications lens to read the Ubuntu Desktop Guide as you are clearly unfamiliar with Unity.

Regards.

flycast
October 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I have read the docs here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/unity-dash-intro.html

The docs say:

Click the buttons in the row at the bottom of the dash to switch between lenses. Lenses allow you to focus the dash results and exclude results from other lenses.I have no buttons in a row at the bottom of the dash. This has been installed and running more than a day. It is a virtual machine using VMWare. I have used the terminal and software installation many times yet none of those are showing up when I search.

If I click Super + A I get a little white box in the lower right hand corner of the screen that I can type into but it seems to do nothing.