PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on Touchscreen Ultrabook?

j814wong
October 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
With all the Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabooks coming out, I'm getting excited. No, certainly not about Windows 8. I'm excited about the prospect of installing Ubuntu on a 14+ inch laptop with a touchscreen. Anyone else excited about the prospect? Android tablets are nice. I like my Motorola Xoom but it does not compare to Ubuntu. If I could get Ubuntu onto a Intel iX based ultrabook with a touchscreen and get everything working, that device would replace my current computers and tablet. It would be even better if I could get Ubuntu on one of thsoe convertible tablet/laptop devices. Unity, in my opinion, would be nice for touchscreens on a larger screen such as 14+ inch screens. Native gesture supports would be nice too. It would be cool if I swipe the horizontal bar at the top (The one with all the menus) to the left to minimize the Window. A full desktop OS, Ubuntu, on a laptop/tablet convertible with all hardware working would be amazing.

cody1233
November 12th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I will definitely be doing research on this topic...I'm not exactly sure how the touchscreen compatibility will work, but this is Linux--somebody will solve it!

j814wong
November 13th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I will definitely be doing research on this topic...I'm not exactly sure how the touchscreen compatibility will work, but this is Linux--somebody will solve it!

There is still hope! I'm researching as well. I'll post my findings if any.

scooper77515
November 15th, 2012, 02:28 AM
My wife has a xoom and she keeps booting me off my ubuntu 10.10 laptop. So when I brought up the fact that "maybe" i could put ubuntu on her xoom, she got really excited.

If anyone figures out that it can be done, let me know. She HATES the android setup on the xoom pad, but loves my ubuntu laptop.

I told her up front I would prefer to buy her a laptop (last Christmas) but she convinced herself she wanted a Xoom pad. So I got her one. Ever since then, we fight over my laptop...:confused: