PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Laptops and Ubuntu.

irv
October 23rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
With the coming of Windows 8 Hybrid Laptops, it would be nice to see Ubuntu running on them. I like the idea of being able to use a keyboard or a touch screen (laptop or tablet, either or). I would go with one if I could run Ubuntu on it.
w.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411284,00.asp

I know that Ubuntu with Unity is moving toward touch screen support, but it need to make a move fast to appeal to users. Right now we have three choices (Apple OS, Android, and now Windows 8 ). Where does Ubuntu fit in?

lincoln32
October 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
I think ubuntu itself is ready. source code to the newer faster cpu's are closed source (not availible for free to ubuntu develpers) plus a full OS
needs faster cpu's that are just starting to make it to the market. it may be next spring.

Copper Bezel
October 23rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
Android and Windows have much better touch and gesture support even on x86, and all of those binary blobs that make Ubuntu easier than other Linuxes are x86-only. I'm honestly just learning to love Android. Unity and Gnome Shell provide great touch interfaces for the shell (Shell being more ready than Unity) but the drivers underneath and the apps on top just aren't ready and aren't moving fast enough (if at all.) I'm not optimistic.

lincoln32
October 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
while I can do more and more everyday on android there are still features
on ubuntu/full linux I wish I had access to.

p5u3d0kod3
October 23rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
With the coming of Windows 8 Hybrid Laptops, it would be nice to see Ubuntu running on them. I like the idea of being able to use a keyboard or a touch screen (laptop or tablet, either or). I would go with one if I could run Ubuntu on it.
w.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411284,00.asp (http://w.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411284,00.asp)

I know that Ubuntu with Unity is moving toward touch screen support, but it need to make a move fast to appeal to users. Right now we have three choices (Apple OS, Android, and now Windows 8 ). Where does Ubuntu fit in?

I hope that Ubuntu ll fit right in...in near future

nsicad
October 25th, 2012, 02:23 AM
When these Windows 8 Hybrid Laptops arrive, we need to:

1. See if Ubuntu 12.10 boots with secure boot

Ubuntu is saying that Ubuntu 12.10 is ready to boot using secure boot that Windows 8 machines, laptops and hybrid. Let see if we can boot these hybrids. It is can boots, then most likely, i3, i5 and i7 hybrids is ready to go. The cheaper version - atom variants might be a problem. I don't about if any hybrid got a AMD chipset.

2. See if the linux kernels that comes with Ubuntu 12.10 has drivers for the touch screens.

It needs to have drivers for the touch screens for these hybrids aside from the GPU. It seems that 3.5.4 kernel has drivers for the nvidia gpus. However, the touch screens drivers are still the problem.

3. Wifi drivers working. Most of the hybrid mostly likely using the wifi chipset use in current laptops, so there will be little problem installing those drivers.

4. Unity might not be ready for touch screens. Alternative is to install Mac OS theme for GTK+.

http://www.noobslab.com/2012/06/mac-os-x-lion-theme-for-ubuntu.html

You will get a half price Mac OS X laptop with a tablet as a bonus. Windows 8 hybrid i5 and i7 laptops are 1/2 the price, or 60% of Apple MacbookPro.

Asus Taichi hybrids are nice.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/10/asus-taichi-australian-hands-on-the-zooey-deschanel-of-windows-8-convertibles/

Note: I am using Apple Macbookpro retina but don't mind having a cheaper linux hybrid laptop.