PDA

View Full Version : Are bronies invading the forum?

dolphin194
October 23rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
I've noticed that the number of bronies posting in here are increasing...but who am I to ask

evilsoup
October 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
I don't know what you're talking about.

dolphin194
October 23rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
To be honest, I really don't either

MG&TL
October 23rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Nope, definitely not. :P

Warprunner
October 23rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Bronies? Maybe you meant Brownies as in little pixie - like creatures?
Hey, can't worry about them...have a hard enough time keeping up with the Leprechauns!

:lolflag:

jerome1232
October 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3UOFf.png

MasterNetra
October 23rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3UOFf.png

I don't think its the fact its a child show that one would lose the "Man Points" from.

Copper Bezel
October 23rd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I don't get that, either. And then it's always presented as crossing gender barriers, as if that was the same thing. It's like there's this weird, unstated equivalence between the two that's being drawn.

sffvba[e0rt
October 23rd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Ponies are so last year...

KiwiNZ
October 23rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
A change in the Forum code of conduct will prevent it

MasterNetra
October 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I don't get that, either. And then it's always presented as crossing gender barriers, as if that was the same thing. It's like there's this weird, unstated equivalence between the two that's being drawn.

Yea, and the whole man points/card/whatever stuff sounds like a invention by college duds in/from a frat house.

I'm curious though as to how this gender categorization of stuff started.

KiwiNZ
October 23rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Yea, and the whole man points/card/whatever stuff sounds like a invention by college duds in/from a frat house.

I'm curious though as to how this gender categorization of stuff started.

Approx 600,000 years ago

Copper Bezel
October 23rd, 2012, 10:38 PM
Longer, actually - it's evident in all higher apes.

Edit: But yeah, even Brony is painfully frattish.

MadmanRB
October 23rd, 2012, 10:40 PM
Well I was a linux user before being a Brony so...

KiwiNZ
October 23rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
words fail me

Linuxratty
October 23rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
I have no problem with bromies.

mag1strate
October 24th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Should Ubuntu Forums really accept their pony overlords?

Porcini M.
October 24th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Would I be considered a higher ape?

QIII
October 24th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I prefer the common equus asinus africanus (since I can't use a common term for them - "a" followed by "ss" -- without it getting replaced by three stars, I have to use the scientific one) or "donkey" (which, strangely, does not get replaced by six stars) to a cartoon pony.

So, when my wife is angry with me, do you think she says "You equus asinus africanus!"? Of course not. She uses the three letter version! :)

Copper Bezel
October 24th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Would I be considered a higher ape?

Yeah, I thought that phrase was a thing to exclude gibbons. It's apparently just not a thing (the phrase I meant is great apes) and there are apparently monkeys that show a gender split between "hunter" and "nurturer" inclinations, anyway, so it's a moot point. I'm guessing that KiwiNZ was referring to specialized "labor" roles, hunting and gathering, for which his figure sounds rightish without looking it up.

coldraven
October 24th, 2012, 08:37 AM
No, not bronies! They are just sad. Clangers is where it's at!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clangers

fatality_uk
October 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I thought this thread said "Are brownies invading the forum?"
I thought the Girl Guides had developed a crack assault squad!

MG&TL
October 24th, 2012, 01:50 PM
No, not bronies! They are just sad. Clangers is where it's at!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clangers

Yes! I'm considering changing my avatar...

Grenage
October 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM
A change in the Forum code of conduct will prevent it

It can't come soon enough.

sffvba[e0rt
October 24th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I can honestly say I don't get it. Then again I haven't watched the show as the original series scarred me as a child.

t0p
October 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM
The resurgence of My Little Pony has whooshed straight over my head. Maybe it's cos MLPs were plastic toys aimed at little girls when I were a lad. But the man-pony thing seems ominous somehow... and the way men who love MLP have a name - bronies - I don't think it's some kind of subconscious homophobia that drives me to back away slowly from the subject; but I usually have time for the absurd.

Bronie-phobia... is it a hate crime yet?

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Bronie-phobia... is it a hate crime yet?

I almost borderline think they deserve it. :)

When it gets to that point, they'll start claiming it's genetic. :D

dolphin194
October 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I honestly didn't know my thread would spark so much argument...starting to think that just because I am a brony means that I am not allowed here. Do you really think that changing the code of conduct to say bronies are not allowed on the forum is reasonable let alone professional?

So was I, so now that I am a brony means that I'm going to get banned or something?

IWantFroyo
October 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM

There are some species that have become matriarchal, but yes.

Relevant:
http://i.qkme.me/35humx.jpg

t0p
So was I, so now that I am a brony means that I'm going to get banned or something?

Yes!! Get the bronies!! Pitchforks and blazing torches in the Cafe at nightfall!!

Grenage
Here's hoping; the tainted must be cleansed.*

*possibly by fire.

QIII
October 24th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Will donkeys be likewise cleansed in the fires of righteous antibronyism?

KiwiNZ
October 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I honestly didn't know my thread would spark so much argument...starting to think that just because I am a brony means that I am not allowed here. Do you really think that changing the code of conduct to say bronies are not allowed on the forum is reasonable let alone professional?

I think to become a Brony you must also need to have a senseofhumorectomy. Do you really think we would change to COC for something as puerile is this.

Thankfully NZ TV has steered away from this, I guess they decided we were already sufficiently well catered for with waste material.

Linuxratty
October 24th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I, so now that I am a brony means that I'm going to get banned or something?

Naaaa..BTW, have you seen the creative stuff done with mlp?
Here is Mr. Spock.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4729240779490074&pid=15.1

xaegis
October 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM
You know I'm not Brony myself but if I had a brother who was Brony or a son (or daughter who was dating one) who was I'd like to think that that would be ok.

I support you Bronies!:)

jerome1232
October 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I think to become a Brony you must also need to have a senseofhumorectomy. Do you really think we would change to COC for something as puerile is this.

Why would you get my hopes up like that? I guess bronies are allowed on here too.

*sulks away despondently*

Copper Bezel
October 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
You know I'm not Brony myself but if I had a brother who was Brony or a son (or daughter who was dating one) who was I'd like to think that that would be ok.

I support you Bronies!:)

Much apprish. = )

KiwiNZ
October 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Bronies are incompatible with the Darkside. The day of reckoning is nigh.

MG&TL
October 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Clangers are preparing their moon for battle too!

http://stuffucanuse.com/fake_moon_landings/images/moon.jpg

KiwiNZ
October 24th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Clangers, Bronies, I fear for our future.

KiwiNZ
October 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
In war, events of importance are the result of trivial causes.

And so,
the die is cast

Ubun2to
October 24th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I don't know what you're talking about.
Your avatar makes that real convincin'.

It can't come soon enough.

Well, when this does happen, expect a full scale civil war on these forums, similar to what happened on /b/ and /co/.
Relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLDrvc1qt4

Bart_D
October 25th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I've noticed that the number of bronies posting in here are increasing

Dude, what's a bronie?

SMOKE14
October 25th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I'm a Brony, and I'm proud! :D

Ubun2to
October 25th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Dude, what's a bronie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLDrvc1qt4

GrubThemeArtist
October 25th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Bronies rock! Woohoo!

evilsoup
October 25th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Bronies are incompatible with the Darkside

http://i.imgur.com/UnrpN.png

KiwiNZ
October 25th, 2012, 04:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UnrpN.png

That is just not right.

GrubThemeArtist
October 25th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Clangers, Bronies, I fear for our future.

Bronies raised $33,000 on the MLP subreddit for charity, plus $35,000 for Humble Brony Bundle (which put their money through the Humble Bundle and its charities it supported). Then there's all the smaller charity fund raising that goes on as well as the community service a lot of local brony groups are going out and doing.

There's more to it than watching a cartoon for little girls.

KiwiNZ
October 25th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Bronies raised $33,000 on the MLP subreddit for charity, plus $35,000 for Humble Brony Bundle (which put their money through the Humble Bundle and its charities it supported). Then there's all the smaller charity fund raising that goes on as well as the community service a lot of local brony groups are going out and doing.

There's more to it than watching a cartoon for little girls.

I am sure they are model citizens as are those who like Cars,Painting, Kayaking does not change that fact that the TV series and concept is rubbish and a blatant commercial ploy to separate children and or their parents from their pocket money.

GrubThemeArtist
October 25th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I am sure they are model citizens as are those who like Cars,Painting, Kayaking does not change that fact that the TV series and concept is rubbish and a blatant commercial ploy to separate children and or their parents from their pocket money.

Yes, but it does it very well in an entertaining and enjoyable way that kids, their parent, and many others can enjoy. You should watch at least one episode. :P

KiwiNZ
October 25th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Yes, but it does it very well in an entertaining and enjoyable way that kids, their parent, and many others can enjoy. You should watch at least one episode. :P

I would end up ripping my eyes out and or destroying my TV with either Steyr or a Light Sabre.:P

GrubThemeArtist
October 25th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I would end up ripping my eyes out and or destroying my TV with either Steyr or a Light Sabre.:P

You're judging the book by its cover. :P

If I can get you to watch one clip, it has to be this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy3ZhY9VKs

KiwiNZ
October 25th, 2012, 05:11 AM
My eyes my eyes. That is time I will never get back and brain cells lost forever.

BBQdave
October 25th, 2012, 05:29 AM
...the TV series and concept is rubbish and a blatant commercial ploy to separate children and or their parents from their pocket money.

Not to take away the magic of the recent MLP reboot, but it was purposely put forth as a project to set up imperfect characters that stumble about in flaws - then pull together despite their flaws. Throw in a lot of popular sci-fi and fantasy satire, all brought to you by the creators of the Power Puff Girls - and there you go - a cult following of bronies.

Not that I am a bronie or would admit to it, but as a father, MLP is the most tolerable of the kids shows and of course my daughter's favorite :)

QIII
October 25th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I believe there can be no worse torture found on television than Sponge Bob Square Pants.

robert shearer
October 25th, 2012, 06:29 AM

Parents get pocket money...!
I've been missing out..
KiwiNZ, do WINZ have the forms for that...? :-)

KiwiNZ
October 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM
[B]

No idea

Elfy
October 25th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I think to become a Brony you must also need to have a senseofhumorectomy. Do you really think we would change to COC for something as puerile is this..

We could I guess, at a stretch, add bronie to the word filter ... :p

Just as an aside there is nothing wrong with the Clangers, how else can we see the real Soup Dragon ...

sffvba[e0rt
October 25th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Early 80's the concept of making cartoons to sell products started in the good old US of A. It got so bad that a series made by Hot Wheels got canceled and some laws ammended because all they did was make a 20 minute long add.

There has been some good shows in between however and I was/am a big fan of some of the stuff created by and for Cartoon Network... making good shows to have people watch it so you can make money, novel idea :p

Artemis3
October 25th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Ignoring the extremists (no fanboism), i think this show (the newest) is ok. The writer curiously inserted references to pop culture and other shows adding some geek factor; like that episode with star trek/wars scenes (Q voice acting, lol).

I only learned about it because people made such a fuzz. And no, it has no relation to the older show, feels more like powerpuff girls.

You can watch it on youtube, the whole thing is there. Really hated that episode with that "leap of faith", but most episodes are fine.

Lightstar
October 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
What's with the bronies word?
"ponies" wasn't okay? It's shorter and easier to spell.
Unless you use bro- as brotherhood? I don't see the point.
They're on par with furries to me. They have their own little pony fetish going on.

sffvba[e0rt
October 25th, 2012, 11:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/yslke.gif

dolphin194
October 25th, 2012, 03:35 PM
My eyes my eyes. That is time I will never get back and brain cells lost forever.

That would be Jersey Shore.

Early 80's the concept of making cartoons to sell products started in the good old US of A. It got so bad that a series made by Hot Wheels got canceled and some laws ammended because all they did was make a 20 minute long add.

There has been some good shows in between however and I was/am a big fan of some of the stuff created by and for Cartoon Network... making good shows to have people watch it so you can make money, novel idea :razz:

I miss the old Cartoon Network.

What's with the bronies word?
"ponies" wasn't okay? It's shorter and easier to spell.
Unless you use bro- as brotherhood? I don't see the point.
They're on par with furries to me. They have their own little pony fetish going on.
"bro" as in brothers...

Artemis3
October 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Early 80's the concept of making cartoons to sell products started in the good old US of A. Not too sure about that, but TOEI was doing it in Japan with Tetsuwan Atom (with a breakfast cereal) back in the 60ies. According to a representative, they always make products (usually toys) outside of animation to sell along a show. Nowdays its even more evident with the (japanese) music labels involved.

On the other hand the whole point of star wars was simply that, to sell toys. Mr Lucas never expected it to be so successful on its own...

MasterNetra
October 25th, 2012, 09:49 PM

lol gotta love evolutionary baggage.

Ji Ruo
October 26th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Thankfully NZ TV has steered away from this, I guess they decided we were already sufficiently well catered for with waste material.

And that's after Paul Henry was sent across the Tasman!

LillyDragon
October 26th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I have been noticing a lot more pony avatars on these boards lately, but I didn't get the impression that bronies were flooding in by the bushel. =P

This I wholeheartedly agree with, and the fact that you can find all the episodes free and easy on Youtube only inflates the show's distribution to even more audiences who normally wouldn't come across it. Although if you ask me, the characters in the show itself look better than what's usually the toy line. :P

In all honesty, I actually watched the first episode, (My little cousin forced me to watch it with him, since he was curious after seeing all the brony memes.) and it was one of the best examples of vector animation I've seen, but oh God my eyes!

Every manly cell in my body was writhing with agony and screaming for mercy; the theme song especially triggered that reaction inside me. The animation was amazing and it even had its humorous moments, but I couldn't bear to watch another episode. It's cute, just too much cuteness all in one sitting for me, like tons of sugar dumped in the lemonade. =P

sffvba[e0rt
October 26th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Not too sure about that, but TOEI was doing it in Japan with Tetsuwan Atom (with a breakfast cereal) back in the 60ies. According to a representative, they always make products (usually toys) outside of animation to sell along a show. Nowdays its even more evident with the (japanese) music labels involved.

On the other hand the whole point of star wars was simply that, to sell toys. Mr Lucas never expected it to be so successful on its own...

My info on this doesn't go back as far as the 60's or include Japan... I also didn't know that about Star Wars.

BBQdave
October 26th, 2012, 04:39 AM

Wow, not sure about that observation :confused:

Take Joseph Campbell, some old Samaria movies, old black and white sci-fi serials, a hunger to develop and incorporate new special effects tech... Mix it all together and get a huge story that goes way beyond the length of one movie. So divide up the story, hope the first does OK, and you can make the next segment of the story... and of course the rest is history.

I was a kid when Star Wars came out, believe me, they were in no way prepared with merchandise for that first release. I waited a year to get my first Star Wars item. The success of that first Star Wars movie did influence how the industry would tie in merchandise from that point on. Battle Star Galactica, Space 1999, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman... whether film or tv, they all started cranking out the toys and t-shirts then :)

Moose
October 26th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I'm signed up to 5+ different forum sites and every single one ha an ever increasing Bronies community.

mr john
October 26th, 2012, 05:00 AM
First they had men wearing pink shirts, now pretending to like my little pony... Someone out there is pushing an agenda to take away our manliness!!!

Either that or there's some very, very creepy men on the Internet.

deadflowr
October 26th, 2012, 06:35 AM
First they had men wearing pink shirts,

I've had pink shirts, but only because I'm too lazy to separate the whites from the colors.:)

Ubun2to
October 26th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Now, all you haters, let me point out one thing.
You are all making biased opinions. I would think Linux users in general are more educated then their Windows and Mac counterparts because of how Linux has little commercial backing, it requires you to think for yourself sometimes.
You have to approach the show with an open mind if you want to see the good in it.
Just because a guy goes outside the gender norm does not mean he is instantly gay. Plus, it's also called being sexist. When girls like things targeted at guys and like it, you don't see people calling them lesbians or transgenders. However, the same can not be said for guys who like things targeted at girls, who are instantly given social backlash by n00bs who don't care about gender equality.
The fact is, this show has high quality Flash animation (that's right-Adobe Flash), an actual storyline, interesting characters, great music numbers (have you ever heard the song Winter Wrap-Up?), and little shoutouts to the community (such as Derpy Hooves and DJ-PON3). Plus, you have to give them credit for the awesome personalities on ponies like Fluttershy (yay!). You also seem to have forgotten all the mythology they threw in (with Ursa Majors and Minors and Phoenixes to start the list) and the references (there is even a reference to the ending scene of Star Wars Episode IV).
The show was created by Lauren Faust, who also created the Power Puff Girls (which also attracted an audience outside the targeted demographic), and worked on Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends as the writer, character designer, animation director, and storyboard editor. They gathered many talented people to work on this show, such as Daniel Ingram on the music, Tara Strong as Twilight Sparkle, Ashleigh Ball as Rainbow Dash and Applejack, and Amy Keating Rogers as one of the writers (who also worked on Dexter's Laboratory and the Fairly OddParents). To say this was produced by a crappy team is a complete lie.
To say it is a show made to market the My Little Pony series is only partly true. Discovery and Hasbro created the Hub network in a joint venture, and needed some OC (original content, for people who are completely out of touch with Internet subcultures). They knew how crappy the previous iterations of the franchise were, and wanted to make it better. And make it better they did.
The fact is, this is probably the only clean, wholesome show on TV that is actually good yet is not all about how "awesome" life is by getting wasted at parties, cheating on your wife with some shady girl you paid $20, and nearly overdosing on cocaine, starting a huge bar fight due to intoxication and stupidity, and repeating the cycle every night.
Even though it may seem girly and stupid for a guy to like it (I know that was what I was thinking when I first heard about it), it is a genuinely good show that does not rely on dirty and inside jokes to get people to laugh-they even manage to throw in some comedic moments that everyone can laugh at.
My favorite pony is Rainbow Dash-athletic, beautiful, and fast. Each character has their own unique personality, one that everybody can relate to (I am most like Twilight Sparkle-at one time, I was all study no play, now I manage to balance the two). And this show not only sets a standard of how we should act with others by providing life lessons (which it does in a non-intrusive way, rather than a "Hey kids, today we learned it's not good to steal" kind of way that is on many children's shows), it sets a standard for good, clean, and high quality content.

KiwiNZ
October 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
It's low budget trash TV

sffvba[e0rt
October 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Now, all you haters, let me point out one thing.
You are all making biased opinions. I would think Linux users in general are more educated then their Windows and Mac counterparts because of how Linux has little commercial backing, it requires you to think for yourself sometimes.

Some points to ponder... Just because someone doesn't share your opinion about something doesn't make them a hater. Your opinion is also biased. Someone using Linux and equating that to how they should think about things sounds like an apple and oranges comaprison.

Thus far most posts have been people stating how they felt about something, this is the first post that is attacking others. I am surprised the thread lasted as long as it has before degrading... Let us make this the last of these posts.

ian.leckey
October 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM
What on this Earth are bronies?

sffvba[e0rt
October 26th, 2012, 01:53 PM
What on this Earth are bronies?

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fandom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronies)

TeamRocket1233c
October 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
There's only two ponies I can think of that are awesome and that's 1) Pony cars and 2) Ponyta.

dolphin194
October 26th, 2012, 03:16 PM
<snip> pretending to like my little pony <snip>

Either that or there's some very, very creepy men on the Internet.

Why would we be pretending?

Copper Bezel
October 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Presumably to make them uncomfortable. Personally, I just genuinely appreciate adorable things.

TeamRocket1233c
October 26th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Same here. Can't be a Pokemon fan without coming across cute stuff, as it's part of the package. :)

lisati
October 26th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Parents get pocket money...!
I've been missing out..

No idea

Many years ago, back in the late 1980s, I did see a "Permit to be ill" form. I'll have to ask a former DSW staff member that I know about this....

robert shearer
October 26th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Many years ago, back in the late 1980s, I did see a "Permit to be ill" form. I'll have to ask a former DSW staff member that I know about this....

A mate of mine in the '70s had a holiday job with the Railways and showed me his payslip.
Following the hourly payment totals were the 'allowances' (wet weather,clothing,meals, etc etc)
and an allowance that had us falling about laughing...a 'no allowance allowance'.

In other words if you had done nothing that week that would result in an allowance being paid then, as compensation, you were paid an allowance for not getting an allowance.

KiwiNZ
October 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I am thinking of asking Mark for an allowance for UF staff members to compensate us for looking at threads like this.

robert shearer
October 27th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I am thinking of asking Mark for an allowance for UF staff members to compensate us for looking at threads like this.

Perhaps the Admins could agree on and nominate a worthy charity and a $$ amount target that, when reached, would result in the removal of all references to ....... and all ..... themed avatars.
I would donate. :-)

Linuxratty
October 27th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I'm signed up to 5+ different forum sites and every single one ha an ever increasing Bronies community.

This is the only site I'm on that has Bronies.

lisati
October 27th, 2012, 03:34 AM
A mate of mine in the '70s had a holiday job with the Railways and showed me his payslip.
Following the hourly payment totals were the 'allowances' (wet weather,clothing,meals, etc etc)
and an allowance that had us falling about laughing...a 'no allowance allowance'.

In other words if you had done nothing that week that would result in an allowance being paid then, as compensation, you were paid an allowance for not getting an allowance.

The "Permit to be ill" I remember seeing had remarkably similar questions to this one (http://www.netinteraction.com/rhl/960611.htm). I believe that there was an option by the question relating to address that mentioned kaftans.

Ubun2to
October 27th, 2012, 03:35 AM
This is the only site I'm on that has Bronies.

Depends on where you are.
I like the big Minecraft forum sites, and there are tons of Bronies there. Then I also like these forums, where there are also Bronies.

Linuxratty
October 27th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Depends on where you are.
I like the big Minecraft forum sites, and there are tons of Bronies there. Then I also like these forums, where there are also Bronies.

Ah...makes sense.
It's fun to be in a fandom...Carry on.:)

vasa1
October 27th, 2012, 03:52 AM
No! No! No! This is the punishment for claiming, not so long ago, that this section builds community and provides "support".
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12133501&postcount=33
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12133863&postcount=35

And now for some winky-winkies so that I can use the I was joking defense ;) ;)

Artemis3
October 27th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I was a kid when Star Wars came out, believe me, they were in no way prepared with merchandise for that first release. I waited a year to get my first Star Wars item. The success of that first Star Wars movie did influence how the industry would tie in merchandise from that point on. Battle Star Galactica, Space 1999, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman... whether film or tv, they all started cranking out the toys and t-shirts then :)

This is the thing, they were overwhelmed. I'm positive its written somewhere (old FAQ/interview?), the first movie was intended to attract buyers to the toys. Trying to remember i think Lucas was targeting 10 year olds, never expecting adults to be interested at all.

KiwiNZ
October 27th, 2012, 08:11 AM
No! No! No! This is the punishment for claiming, not so long ago, that this section builds community and provides "support".
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12133501&postcount=33
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12133863&postcount=35

And now for some winky-winkies so that I can use the I was joking defense ;) ;)

Now where did I put my Ban Hammer

robert shearer
October 27th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Now where did I put my Ban Hammer
No! No! No! KiwiNZ please don't ban yourself !
We truly wuv you and want more of your posts...:-)

sanderella
October 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I want a brony of my own! PLEASE

zombifier25
October 30th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Let's hope no one notices that large army of zombies silently taking over...

CompyTheInsane
October 30th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Let's hope no one notices that large army of zombies silently taking over...
Don't forget about cats

Ubun2to
October 31st, 2012, 10:19 AM
I want a brony of my own! PLEASE

Slavery, much?

zombifier25
October 31st, 2012, 01:45 PM
Slavery, much?

Considering the fact you can just watch an episode of MLP:FIM to be a brony yourself, this is unnecessary.

(no, I haven't watched it, and I won't in a foreseeable future, because I don't want to change my avatar)

evilsoup
October 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Lol, I don't think changing all your forum avatars is mandatory :P

Ubun2to
November 1st, 2012, 10:15 AM

Exactly!

nuk28
November 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Now if only Easy Emotes with My Global Ponies worked on the Ubuntu forums... Get with the program, folks!
[](/e17)

See this (http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/t9u9x/my_little_scripts_2_the_scriptpocalypse_guide_to/) if that didn't make any sense.
[](/b02)

GrubThemeArtist
November 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Now if only Easy Emotes with My Global Ponies worked on the Ubuntu forums... Get with the program, folks!
[](/e17)

See this (http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/t9u9x/my_little_scripts_2_the_scriptpocalypse_guide_to/) if that didn't make any sense.
[](/b02)

That just looks annoying to other people.

dolphin194
November 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Never said it was! I just did it simply because I wanted to!

evilsoup
November 12th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Never said it was! I just did it simply because I wanted to!
I can quit any time I want!

Futant
November 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
On a different note - as a woman, how can I aquire some of these Man Points? They sound awfully useful...

evilsoup
November 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
You have to do it the hard way, I'm afraid.
Chopping down trees, farting in public, overreacting to mild colds, refusing to ask for directions or read manuals.
That sort of thing.

KiwiNZ
November 23rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Good grief I am off to the Dark side for a dose of reality

Futant
November 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
I've just been out trying to find a tree to chop down. Unfortunately I got lost - tried not to ask for directions but gave in, only to be kyboshed by a massive attack of wind which offended any potential direction-givers. As I returned home, my blasted bicycle failed me, of course I knew how to fix it but my tools were not up to the job and I had to carry the thing back in pieces. And to top it all, I think I have contracted TB from one of the local badgers.

Copper Bezel
November 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM
Damn. That's worth at least five points, I think. It's too bad you couldn't kill and eat the badger - that could have doubled your score (so long as you didn't oven bake it with cracker-crumb coating, which would have taken you back to zero again.)

Bandit
November 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Good grief I am off to the Dark side for a dose of reality

This LOL... :)

hellion0
November 24th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Oh come now, what's wrong with ponies? :D

zombifier25
November 24th, 2012, 09:26 AM
If you still want to convert to Zombism, you can always contact me.

Bart_D
November 24th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Somebody! Get her a pony!!!

:guitar:Somethin' tells me she's into somethin' bluuuuue:guitar:

The Cog
November 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I think I just walked into a strange reality distortion. Eew!

I wonder what bronies would think of this Charlie the Unicorn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJCNNwHUOE) video.

P.S.
I found it disturbing, and I'm not a bronie.

KiwiNZ
November 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM

I truly fear for mankind

Futant
November 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Ok so I've just eaten that badger, didn't kill it myself as it had alredy died of TB, can I have my Man Points now? Oh, and for the record I was never into my damned little pony...

rai4shu2
November 24th, 2012, 10:10 PM
MLP is so six months ago. It's all about Symbionic Titans, now. ;)

GrubThemeArtist
November 24th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Ok so I've just eaten that badger, didn't kill it myself as it had alredy died of TB, can I have my Man Points now? Oh, and for the record I was never into my damned little pony...

Chop down a tree with your fists for maximum points. Oh and you have to grow a beard out and wear flannel while doing so.

GrubThemeArtist
November 24th, 2012, 11:42 PM
MLP is so six months ago. It's all about Symbionic Titans, now. ;)

The new Littlest Pet Shop actually turned out to be pretty good.

mythic97
November 25th, 2012, 12:05 AM
They ARE iTs A MaSIvE COnspirICeY maN RUN BEfoRE THey GET Y....
*screams in pain*

Bandit
November 25th, 2012, 03:29 AM

Rather ride a pawnie instead.. LOL

QIII
November 25th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Inside every bronie is a little boy who wishes he could be a bloeder Esel.

LillyDragon
November 25th, 2012, 03:51 AM
If you still want to convert to Zombism, you can always contact me.

^ I'd sooner be a zombie than a pony any day, especially the kind that have to drink coffee everyday (http://pics.livejournal.com/shatterstripes/pic/000925yg) to keep their sentience. =P

Ubun2to
November 25th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Chop down a tree with your fists for maximum points. Oh and you have to grow a beard out and wear flannel while doing so.

It's called Minecraft.

greatsirkain
November 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM

Does that mean it's linux related disease? Should I go back to watching epic fail and lolcats on mac before it's too late? Or just blankly stare into my own soul-less cold dead eyes in my reflection on the windows monitor screen?

Cheetara was worth watching, she got me through Saturday mornings without needing to drink all the way up 'till I was 14

evilsoup
November 25th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I know plenty of mac-using bronies, so that won't save you.
Nothing will save you.
None of you are safe.

KiwiNZ
November 25th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Nothing will save you.
None of you are safe.

Never under estimate the power of the staff and the Darkside

robert shearer
November 26th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Kiw-i=eMCee Squared ??? :)

sffvba[e0rt
November 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM
>.>

robert shearer
November 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
>.>

Even the great google was stumped by that one...

Your search - >.> - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

nothingspecial
November 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM
<.<

robert shearer
November 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM
In light of these last posts an amendment is suggested.....

Never under estimate the sobriety of the staff at the Parkside

:-)
Making an early start for Christmas picnic revelry..!

Ubun2to
November 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM

The power of the staff (aka the dark side) is powerful, but the magic of friendship is even more powerful!

greatsirkain
November 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM
The power of the staff (aka the dark side) is powerful, but the magic of friendship is even more powerful!
Friends are just people you don't hate yet

zombifier25
November 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
So what are we suppose to be discussing about again?

dolphin194
November 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM

I wonder what bronies would think of this Charlie the Unicorn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJCNNwHUOE) video.

P.S.
I found it disturbing, and I'm not a bronie.
I've seen that before I was a brony, and I still like it :) In fact, I've seen all 3 of them. Alright, I'll go inside the cave. Oh yeah, it's spelled "Brony" by the way.

vasa1
November 26th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Even the great google was stumped by that one...

But I got this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txz9ncZJMA4

TeamRocket1233c
November 27th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Nothing will save you.
None of you are safe.

How 'bout not becoming a brony? That will save 'ya.

dolphin194
November 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Nothing will save you.
None of you are safe.

As a matter of fact, I myself am a Mac-using brony.

ibjsb4
November 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I think I would make a good Brony

dolphin194
November 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I think I would make a good Brony

You know I'm not Brony myself but if I had a brother who was Brony or a son (or daughter who was dating one) who was I'd like to think that that would be ok. I support you Bronies!:smile:
Why don't you both watch the show? It sounds like you could handle it. :p

Stop picking on us bronies if you haven't watched the show. And by watch, I mean actually sitting down and watching the whole thing while paying complete attention to what is happening.

Ubun2to
November 28th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Why don't you both watch the show? It sounds like you could handle it. :p

Stop picking on us bronies if you haven't watched the show. And by watch, I mean actually sitting down and watching the whole thing while paying complete attention to what is happening.

At least watch 6 episodes-heck, just watch the whole first season!

KiwiNZ
November 28th, 2012, 01:48 AM
At least watch 6 episodes-heck, just watch the whole first season!

I would rather sell my TV's, sell my cars than watch something like that

robert shearer
November 28th, 2012, 04:15 AM

We don't have a TV and the car is such a wreck no one would buy it.
Guess it will have to be the pets or the kids.

Wait,
"We don't have a TV..." Saved !!!

zombifier25
November 28th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Afraiding you'll become... contaminated?

|{urse
November 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I can only think of one thing lamer than ponies, and that's little pink animated ones.

dolphin194
November 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM

You can't judge something you haven't seen...and now take the Pinkie Pie!
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110817053808/woganhemlockstest/images/5/5f/Pinkie_Pie.png

KiwiNZ
November 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM
You can't judge something you haven't seen...and now take the Pinkie Pie!
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110817053808/woganhemlockstest/images/5/5f/Pinkie_Pie.png

I looked at one episode to see what the fuss was about. It was one of the worst if not the worst piece of rubbish I had seen.

It is clearly crass commercial TV the sole purpose of which is to sell directly at and to children a practice I (and New Zealand law )dislikes. It serves no other purpose than to move merchandise.

ibjsb4
November 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
It serves no other purpose than to move merchandise.

So does a credit card; got any?

Ubun2to
November 29th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I looked at one episode to see what the fuss was about. It was one of the worst if not the worst piece of rubbish I had seen.

It is clearly crass commercial TV the sole purpose of which is to sell directly at and to children a practice I (and New Zealand law )dislikes. It serves no other purpose than to move merchandise.

What episode did you watch? And why did you not like it? Any certain aspect or segment? Why not watching another one, like Lesson Zero.
Hard to take your word for it on such a touchy subject.

BlinkinCat
November 29th, 2012, 01:21 AM
What episode did you watch? And why did you not like it? Any certain aspect or segment? Why not watching another one, like Lesson Zero.

I'd like to take all bets that he won't watch another one - :P

KiwiNZ
November 29th, 2012, 01:39 AM

Do you really want to know?

dolphin194
November 29th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Do you really want to know?
Of course we do!

KiwiNZ
November 29th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Of course we do!

OK you asked remember that.The following is not intended to be directed at any individual member and is my view only, it does not in anyway imply the view point of any other Ubuntu Forum Staff member.

The story line,(hmmm OK there was sort of a story line) was some of the biggest load of puerile bilge and rubbish that I have been subjected to. The fact that eerrr grown men or women are remotely interested in it absolutely baffles me.

Now I have no objections to private enterprise etc in fact I am all for it, I am however against blatant commercialism aimed at getting children to want toys/products and the series is just very badly produced series of advertisements in order to achieve this.

As for the rest of the whole adult ponies (for want of a better printable phrase) life style all I can say is ----- --- ------- ---------- ------- -- --- ----- ------- --------.

KiwiNZ
November 29th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I'd like to take all bets that he won't watch another one - :P

give that person a cookie

sffvba[e0rt
November 29th, 2012, 05:43 AM
What I would like to know is, why care if somebody else likes what you like?! And secondly, why go to the Internet to tell the world you like it when it is obvious there will be people that doesn't share your view and this will only upset you?

So excuse me a moment while I perfect my horse dance to the beat of a South Korean song that I am sure KiwiNZ also doesn't approve off ;)

CharlesA
November 29th, 2012, 05:54 AM
That pony picture reminded me of this:
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20121126

Watch for some mildish language in the author's comments about it.

GrubThemeArtist
November 29th, 2012, 05:56 AM
OK you asked remember that.The following is not intended to be directed at any individual member and is my view only, it does not in anyway imply the view point of any other Ubuntu Forum Staff member.

The story line,(hmmm OK there was sort of a story line) was some of the biggest load of puerile bilge and rubbish that I have been subjected to. The fact that eerrr grown men or women are remotely interested in it absolutely baffles me.

Now I have no objections to private enterprise etc in fact I am all for it, I am however against blatant commercialism aimed at getting children to want toys/products and the series is just very badly produced series of advertisements in order to achieve this.

As for the rest of the whole adult ponies (for want of a better printable phrase) life style all I can say is ----- --- ------- ---------- ------- -- --- ----- ------- --------.

Which episode did you watch?

KiwiNZ
November 29th, 2012, 06:57 AM
What I would like to know is, why care if somebody else likes what you like?! And secondly, why go to the Internet to tell the world you like it when it is obvious there will be people that doesn't share your view and this will only upset you?

So excuse me a moment while I perfect my horse dance to the beat of a South Korean song that I am sure KiwiNZ also doesn't approve off ;)

I approve, South Africa = kindred spirits

Our greatest Rugby foes, our greatest friends.

zombifier25
November 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I approve, South Africa = kindred spirits

Our greatest Rugby foes, our greatest friends.

Wait, that song was filmed in South Africa?

sffvba[e0rt
November 29th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Wait, that song was filmed in South Africa?

Lol no... me thinks that KiwiNZ misread, however I agree 100% with his statement :D

KiwiNZ
November 29th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Lol no... me thinks that KiwiNZ misread, however I agree 100% with his statement :D

Didn't miss read.Just like SA

sffvba[e0rt
November 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Didn't miss read.Just like SA

K, awesome (visiting, possibly living in NZ is on my to-do list) :) Now watch this and start dancing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0).

Oh and for MC Hammer fans, check this out. (http://youtu.be/WOyo7JD7hjo)

KiwiNZ
November 29th, 2012, 09:23 AM
My little Grand Daughter was doing that crazy dance tonight, she said she learnt how to do it for her Grandpa

sffvba[e0rt
November 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM
My little Grand Daughter was doing that crazy dance tonight, she said she learnt how to do it for her Grandpa

Two words popped right out, "awe" and "awesome" :)

Acepony
June 8th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Awesome love to get to know you guys better. I loved My little pony even before G4. My favorite outside of G4 would be Escape from Katrina fallowed by Dancing in the clouds. Oh and nothing is more classic than G2 and the Sweet heart and Teddy romance.

VinDSL
June 8th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Ponies are so last year...
Er...

That would be penguins, me thinks.

VinDSL
June 8th, 2013, 04:26 AM
K, awesome (visiting, possibly living in NZ is on my to-do list) :) Now watch this and start dancing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0).
Heh! Don't mean to pick on you, 404.

Melbourne Shuffle is where it's at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH5dS3PFPSA

If you can do this, you're a better man than me... :)

PJs Ronin
June 8th, 2013, 06:15 AM
... Melbourne Shuffle is where it's at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH5dS3PFPSA

Three things come immediately to mind.

1. The young lady is very good at her routine.
2. 30 years in the can for what I'm thinking watching this clip.
3. 'Electro Swing Shuffle' is a new music genre? If so, I like very much.

Normal bronie service can now resume.

VinDSL
June 8th, 2013, 07:20 AM
1. The young lady is very good at her routine.
2. 30 years in the can for what I'm thinking watching this clip.
3. 'Electro Swing Shuffle' is a new music genre? If so, I like very much.
1. That's Josy Carver. She's 21 (wink, wink), strong as an ox, and has a very fluid style. Her "running man" in nearly perfect. She has 109 videos on YT. ;)

2. I know what you mean. I *feel* like a stalker sometimes. Probably watched every video 20 (or more) times. LoL!

3. The dance genre is called "shuffling". There are many different types, but they all look pretty much the same, to the untrained eye. The music "shuffle girls" dance to are all over the map, but mostly house, dance, trance, et cetera.

BlinkinCat
June 8th, 2013, 07:26 AM
1. That's Josy Carver. She's 21 (wink, wink), strong as an ox, and has a very fluid style. Her "running man" in nearly perfect. She has 109 videos on YT. ;)

2. I know what you mean. I *feel* like a stalker sometimes. Probably watched every video 20 (or more) times. LoL!

3. The dance genre is called "shuffling". There are many different types, but they all look pretty much the same, to the untrained eye. The music "shuffle girls" dance to are all over the map, but mostly house, dance, trance, et cetera.

Josy gets a big +1 from me too!

Well worth the view - :p

VinDSL
June 8th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Best "shuffle girl" on YT, IMO.

Um. Just so the mods don't yell at us...

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-7-jun-2013-1(650x520).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-7-jun-2013-1.png)

BlinkinCat
June 8th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Josy gets a big +1 from me too!

In my own defence if I need one

Before turning to medicine, my daughter was a ballet dancer for many years.

I have always been a fan of excellence in dancing - :)

PJs Ronin
June 8th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Back in the day when Attila was redrawing the map of Europe, I managed to win a state championship in Latin dance. Dance was one of the things my mother told me all gentlemen should learn and for once she was right.

I dont think this lil dude can dance.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rf4s51.jpg

Elfy
June 8th, 2013, 08:29 AM
The bronies walked into an abattoir after finding the thread again.