PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Recommendation (specific requirements)

BrokenKingpin
October 22nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
I am looking to buy a new keyboard and I would like to get some recommendations, but I do have some specific requirements.

I am looking for a keyboard for my desktop computer that either has no number pad (or is detached from the keyboard), or the number pad is on the left side of the keyboard.

The reason for this is so I can have the mouse located closer to the right side of the keyboard so I don't have to move my hand/arm as far to reach the mouse. This may sounds stupid, but I spend a large amount of time on the computer (computer programmer). For me this would increase productivity, and put less strain on my arm.

Having the number pad on the left side is fine for me, even though I am not left handed. If there is no number pad I could also buy one of the detached USB number pads and put it on the left side. The keyboard can be wired or wireless.

I currently have a Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard which has a detachable number pad that can be moved to the left side and it is great. I wanted to get another one of these for my work computer, but most placed do not carry it anymore, and on top of that it is quite expensive.

I was looking at this Microsoft keyboard which has a detached number pad, but the keyboard has a curved layout and I am not sure If I would like that:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_578_580&item_id=027482

Or maybe something like this, but I don't know how comfortable it would be:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/genius-genius-slim-keyboard-luxemate-i202-luxemate-i202/10210627.aspx?path=35f785dc32e46d8cc2166799520e569 7en02

So does anyone have experience with a keyboard that might meet my needs?

Mr.Dee
October 22nd, 2012, 07:25 PM
You could get a netbook and remove the lcd. You will need to run synergy to share the keyboard. This could be highly impractical, but you would get coolness points?

BrokenKingpin
October 23rd, 2012, 01:56 AM
You could get a netbook and remove the lcd. You will need to run synergy to share the keyboard. This could be highly impractical, but you would get coolness points?
That is a bit extreme lol.

PaulInBHC
October 23rd, 2012, 02:08 AM
I'm not a one finger typist but I am no speed demon either. I have had an MS ergonomic keyboard similar to the curved one above for several years. I got used to it fairly quick and then when I have to use another computer with a straight board, I have trouble adjusting.

For that price I would take the chance.

I'm left handed but learned 10 key with my right. I don't think I would like one on the left next to my mouse, lol.