PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] performance issues since triple boot

unibroker
October 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
I currently have WinXP, Ubuntu 12.04 32bit and recently added the 64bit version of Ubuntu. The 32bit will be removed after awhile.

Strangely I notice the degradation while inputting in the 32bit. These performance issues were not present before my recent install of the 64bit. I have the same swap for both OS's. Additionally when I hover the cursor over an item it is slow to show the contents and when I remove the cursor it slowly fades. Just curious as the issue might resolve itself once I delete the 32bit.

oldfred
October 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
They should be totally separate.

Did you encrypt swap in one or the other install as then it is not shared?

Did you shrink the partition with the 32bit too small so it has difficulty copying data to partition?

unibroker
October 22nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
They should be totally separate.

Did you encrypt swap in one or the other install as then it is not shared?

Did you shrink the partition with the 32bit too small so it has difficulty copying data to partition?

The 64 bit was installed to space I took from WinXP. Nothing was encrypted.

efflandt
October 23rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
Could it be a matter of perception. Maybe when you were just running 32-bit, it was what it was, and if 64-bit is more responsive, 32-bit seems slower. Or if you have more than 3 GB RAM, 64-bit can effectively use more of it, and more efficiently.

I haven't compared 32 and 64-bit lately, I just standardized on 64-bit even for a 2 GB tablet PC, because my desktop has 8 GB RAM. My older desktop is noticeably slower, but it is an early Athlon64 3200+ (2 GHz single core) w/2 GB and legacy ATI video still running 64-bit 10.04.