PDA

View Full Version : Experience with commercial apps on Softvare Center

alenn
October 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hi all

Is there anyone on this forum who published commercial app on Ubuntu Softvare Center. What's your experience with it. I'm planning to publish one app but I need more information. For example, am I able to update my app if I found a bug or something like that, do I need to reupload it and then wait again for aproval of my app?

SteveDeFacto
October 22nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
I honestly don't think many people buy commercial applications through the ubuntu software center. If you are going to go that route Android or Apple applications would be much more profitable.

buckyaustin
October 22nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
You would have to get approval, but I don't think it would have to be done for each bug fix. Just once every so often. But Steve is correct, your not going to make much money because it will be sold on Linux. Most people on Linux are huge fans of open source and will not pay you for your app.

Also getting illegal software is too easy on both the Apple and Android, means you won't be able to sell many, really depends on what your app does thou. Sorry to make it seem like a terrible idea.

I think your best approach is to read up on it a bit more. On all 3 platforms. This is called market research. This is the first step you do when trying to sell a product.

alenn
October 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
Well I agree with your statement about Linux, but I think that you can make nice amount of money when making apps for Android and Apple users.

I think I will start learning java and begin with development of Android apps. Many thanks for your answers.

buckyaustin
October 23rd, 2012, 10:41 AM
Well do as you please. I'm sure if you work hard at learning the languages you need and plan your program correctly, then maybe some time in the future I might just be one of the people purchasing your application.

Since I only use Android or Linux. Well try to only use.

DarkAmbient
October 23rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
It makes me sad to read responses such as you wont make money from this, do this instead. OP requested information about submitting an application to the Ubuntu software center. And I personally think it's a good thing "to help nurture" the software center in any way.

And on-topic, yes you can update your application, fixing bugs etc.

Read about it here. (http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/updating-your-app/)

alenn
October 24th, 2012, 02:21 PM
thank you @DarkAmbient

red13
October 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Good Lord lol

If you are still looking at this post do what you want to do and this link here is a good place to start : http://developer.ubuntu.com/

Seriously if you don't try you will never know,
and anything is possible if you give it the effort. I disagree that the opensource people are unwilling to pay for software, that is software they want and like to support, but what and how many people will pay and support you can only be known once you have done it.
If you have the time and motivation go for it, ignore the negative, and find out what you can do.
The worst is you learn something and will be able to apply that to other stuff like towards getting a job developing, learning to do better design and coding, figuring out what people want or need on the way.

alenn
October 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I tried that site you posted and I submitted two apps but I waited for two months and they were still in stage "Pending review", then I deleted them from Softvare Center.

That's why I'm trying to find someone with experience with commercial apps on Softvare Center so he/she can tell me more about commercial apps because I don't have experience with it, I believe that the aproval proccess is much faster if I submit commercial app.

cariboo
October 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Moved to the Cafe, as this isn't a support question

Ubun2to
October 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
If it's worth the price, it can be successful.
I bought MC Launcher, and I am loving the ease of installing mods on Minecraft.
Also, high prices are a huge cause for app flunks. $0.99-2.99 is the price range I enjoy.
The only reason to pay more is if it is worth the money. Adobe Photoshop is worth plenty of money (obviously, it is worth about $300 less than it costs, but it is still high quality software), and people pay for it for a reason.

alenn
October 25th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I agree with you @Ubun2to.

But can anyone tell me is there any difference with uploading open source app and commercial app, I want to know if there is any difference in speed of reviewing it and aproving, because as I said I waited for 2 months and my apps was still in "Pending review" stage. I think that's too long.

thatguruguy
October 26th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, when did you make your submission? Apparently, work is on-going to speed-up the evaluation process (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppDevUploadProcess).

Also, why withdraw the application from review? What's the harm in letting it sit there, if you can continue to try to promote the program on your own web site?

Mikeb85
October 26th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Hi all

Is there anyone on this forum who published commercial app on Ubuntu Softvare Center. What's your experience with it. I'm planning to publish one app but I need more information. For example, am I able to update my app if I found a bug or something like that, do I need to reupload it and then wait again for aproval of my app?

I haven't gone through this process, but I disagree with some of the comments here.

The Play Store (aka Android Market) and Apple App Store are already saturated with apps, odds are you won't make a ton of money there either.

The Ubuntu store may not make you any money, but I personally think the potential is there to make alot (or a decent amount). You can really differentiate yourself by selling an Ubuntu App, you won't have much competition, and if you're realistic about the value of your app and price it accordingly, I think there's a real possibility you could make some money.

Plus, it sounds as though it's already built? I'd give it a shot. I use Ubuntu and pay for things that interest me (I've bought a couple games from the Software Centre), I'm sure others do to. The lack of interesting paid apps for Ubuntu doesn't mean that any paid app will fail.

I personally think that Ubuntu has a bright future, room for growth, and there's definitely room to expand paid app offerings...

sffvba[e0rt
October 26th, 2012, 06:31 AM
The Humble Indie Bundles have shown that Linux users are willing to pay if they perceive value in the purchase. If you make an app I want to use and the price is right off course I will buy it. I need you to survive and keep making the stuff I need/want.

alenn
October 26th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, when did you make your submission? Apparently, work is on-going to speed-up the evaluation process (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppDevUploadProcess).

Also, why withdraw the application from review? What's the harm in letting it sit there, if you can continue to try to promote the program on your own web site?

I submited them in june this year and removed them two months later. The reason I removed them is because I wanted to develop them more, but I didn't know if I upload an update for my app, will my app go to the bottom of review list.

thatguruguy
October 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I submited them in june this year and removed them two months later. The reason I removed them is because I wanted to develop them more, but I didn't know if I upload an update for my app, will my app go to the bottom of review list.

Was your submission made during the Ubuntu App Showdown? I wouldn't be surprised that there was quite a lag during that process, unless you were an established software company.

alenn
October 26th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Was your submission made during the Ubuntu App Showdown? I wouldn't be surprised that there was quite a lag during that process, unless you were an established software company.

No, it was after App ShowDown. I've sent an e-mail to those guys on Software Center and they appologized to me and they said they have a lot of apps to review.

drascus
October 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I have purchased apps on the market and I don't mind paying for an app at all. I like to support developers when I can. I wish they would also add an optional donate button so that the apps that were free as in beer could at least get a donation.