PDA

View Full Version : No thanks. I got Linux.

sffvba[e0rt
October 22nd, 2012, 02:21 AM
Windows 8 will be unleashed, Kraken-like, on an awaiting public on Oct. 26, which is this Friday. For US$79.99 — let’s just round that up to US$80 — one can get the latest version of the Windows operating system which, by many reports, is not ideal yet not as bad a some of the other products Redmond has forced upon the public in the past.

A CrunchBang user with the handle merelyjim posted this thread on the CrunchBang forum under the title, “No thanks. I got Linux” where he thinks that this $80 can be better spent elsewhere — like on your current distro or your favorite FOSS program.

Source (http://larrythefreesoftwareguy.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/no-thanks-i-got-linux/)

Some food for thought.

Linuxratty
October 22nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
I pay about as much attention to them as I do to Apply..Which is virtually none,except when they are drug kicking and screaming into court.

I'm content with my Linux.

mamamia88
October 22nd, 2012, 03:31 AM
Well that article just convinced me to donate to my favorite open source project gpodder. will probably donate to arch eventually as well

Giant Speck
October 22nd, 2012, 03:56 AM
I just think it's hilarious how everyone is comparing the imminent release of Windows 8 to releasing the Kraken. The Consumerist did it, too.

~LoKe
October 22nd, 2012, 04:50 AM
I switched to Windows a while back (Vista/7). Recently upgraded to a preview of Windows 8. It was absolutely terrible. Once I hacked it up enough to be functional again, it was basically just a stranger version of Windows 7.

Windows 8 won't be a hit. Not even close. If they had included the option to disable Metro it might have been acceptable.

Back to Ubuntu now, but debating on switching back to Windows 7.

Linuxisfast
October 22nd, 2012, 04:59 AM
Would spend half on hardware and donate rest to Canonical.

mamamia88
October 22nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
I switched to Windows a while back (Vista/7). Recently upgraded to a preview of Windows 8. It was absolutely terrible. Once I hacked it up enough to be functional again, it was basically just a stranger version of Windows 7.

Windows 8 won't be a hit. Not even close. If they had included the option to disable Metro it might have been acceptable.

Back to Ubuntu now, but debating on switching back to Windows 7.
i'm starting to think it might be a hit just not on laptops/desktops. some of these new windows phones/surface look pretty freaking sweet to me

mr john
October 22nd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Windows versions usually go good, bad, good, bad. So it's best to skip the bad ones and wait for the good one (Windows 9). Windows 7 got me going back to Windows alot more because I like it alot. One thing about Windows 8 is that it does appear to be much faster. They just need to fix the start button. I'll give it another short soon and see how it goes.

moribashi
October 22nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
I have to say that I don't like the Windows 8 that much, but I like new and different things. I don't think it is a total fail. If W8 comes on sail with the price mentioned then I think it is quite a bargain and maybe I even get one.

I am an old skydrive user (25 GB free space) and I use it a lot. I have 2 Win7 computers at work and Ubuntu only at home. Unfortunately I can not sync skydrive files offline on Ubuntu and it annoys me a lot.:(

Another thing... I love Adobe Lightroom and I haven't found any alternative to that. Have tried rawtherapee, darktable, gimp, digikam etc.

Conclusion: Yes I have got Linux, I like it a lot but if the price is right I think I'll go with Windows. I don't have windows mostly because of expensive price tag.

Paqman
October 22nd, 2012, 07:31 AM
except when they are drug kicking and screaming into court.

"Dragged", surely?

As for Win8, even if it's not popular it'll still be ubiquitous and successful, just like Vista was. It would be a major win if one of the Linux vendors could convince a major OEM to take a major punt on offering desktop Linux as an alternative to consumers, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll be skipping over Win8 myself. We only just upgraded our Windows machines at home from XP to Win 7, don't see any point in upgrading to Win 8.

~LoKe
October 22nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
I have to say that I don't like the Windows 8 that much, but I like new and different things. I don't think it is a total fail. If W8 comes on sail with the price mentioned then I think it is quite a bargain and maybe I even get one.

I am an old skydrive user (25 GB free space) and I use it a lot. I have 2 Win7 computers at work and Ubuntu only at home. Unfortunately I can not sync skydrive files offline on Ubuntu and it annoys me a lot.:(

Another thing... I love Adobe Lightroom and I haven't found any alternative to that. Have tried rawtherapee, darktable, gimp, digikam etc.

Conclusion: Yes I have got Linux, I like it a lot but if the price is right I think I'll go with Windows. I don't have windows mostly because of expensive price tag.

Cheaper here: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-3UR-00001-Windows-8-Pro/dp/B008H3SW4I/ref=lh_ni_t

There was a promotion where you could pick it up for $39, but that has expired.

moribashi
October 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Cheaper here: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-3UR-00001-Windows-8-Pro/dp/B008H3SW4I/ref=lh_ni_t

There was a promotion where you could pick it up for $39, but that has expired.

Thanks for the link. But do I understand correctly - you should have some kind of windows to buy and install this Win8? I don't have any windows at home. Bought blank Acer 1,5 year ago. :)

Although I have to say that it seems to be offtopic...

vasa1
October 22nd, 2012, 08:03 AM
I just think it's hilarious how everyone is comparing the imminent release of Windows 8 to releasing the Kraken. The Consumerist did it, too.
I don't get it. Could someone explain this allusion to the Kraken (other than a helpful LMGTFY)?

"Windows 8 will be unleashed, Kraken-like, on an awaiting public" implying that the Kraken was under someone's control and that the "release" of the Kraken has the public "awaiting"?

zombifier25
October 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
I dunno, Windows 8 seems cool. I won't be buying it since I'm broke, but I'll try it out when some relatives buy it though to see what's with all the fuzz.

With that being said, I think I'm gonna give out some money to some of the open source projects out there.

zombifier25
October 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
I don't get it. Could someone explain this allusion to the Kraken (other than a helpful LMGTFY)?

"Windows 8 will be unleashed, Kraken-like, on an awaiting public" implying that the Kraken was under someone's control and that the "release" of the Kraken has the public "awaiting"?

Microsoft:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120428150222/ideas/images/a/a4/Jones.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=462&vpy=114&dur=4995&hovh=203&hovw=249&tx=124&ty=74&sig=107481253369969066336&ei=_jmFUJXuH5GTiAf9_YHgCA&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=161&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:74

"Release the Kraken!"

The public:

http://www.wildsoundmovies.com/images/on_stranger_tides_jack_sparrow.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=622&vpy=124&dur=1245&hovh=182&hovw=277&tx=137&ty=99&sig=107481253369969066336&ei=fjqFUIDqG-a5iQfB04HoCw&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=192&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:74

You're welcome.

forrestcupp
October 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I don't think Metro is the problem. The problem is the crappy desktop mode, which is pretty much a blank screen with a secret hot corner that you have to figure out how to find.

"Dragged", surely?Some people look at Microsoft and Apple as a drug. ;)

There was a promotion where you could pick it up for $39, but that has expired.Originally, Microsoft said the $39 upgrade would run until the beginning of next year. Did they renege on that or something?

I don't get it. Could someone explain this allusion to the Kraken (other than a helpful LMGTFY)?The Kraken is a giant, Norwegian squid-like sea monster that can destroy ships. With that in mind, maybe you can picture how releasing Win8 is kind of like releasing the Kraken.

PaulInBHC
October 22nd, 2012, 02:15 PM
ubuntu with unity taught me to use the super key.

I installed W8 in VirtualBox. From the startup you get the metro screen. Click the desktop icon and you get a familiar desktop. Press the super key and there you go.

We have two boxes with XP. I am going to do the $40 upgrade on at least one of them.

buckyaustin
October 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
The windows 8 user interface is not unknown to xbox360 users. So it's not as bad as some of you have made out. I hate it thou. That's my opinion. I love Linux far too much to switch back to that crap lol.

Mikeb85
October 22nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
I actually really like W8. Metro kind of reminds me of Flipboard on my phone. I'll still stick with Ubuntu as I prefer open-source, but odds are I'll upgrade an existing license or two to W8, and have it installed somewhere for my Windows needs...

Grenage
October 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Vista was an excellent OS.
Windows 7 is an excellent OS.
I suspect that Windows 8 will be an excellent OS.

I'm a gamer, so my main PC runs Windows.

sffvba[e0rt
October 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM

Me too, Win 7 is solid... the main message isn't that Win 8 is bad, it has to do about supporting FLOSS with some $$$...

oldrocker99
October 22nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
I started with 8.04, and have been having more FUN with computers using Linux than I ever did using any version of Windows; I am a former Amiga user (which was *NIX-like) and I feel more at home uisng Linux. I bought a cheapo desktop 2 years ago which came with Windows 7. It is strictly used for gaming, so I dual-boot and use Linux for everything else.

Having seen the Great Desktop Controversies (Unity, GNOME 3, KDE 4.0) and the rapidly-developed alternatives (MATE, Cinnamon, KDE 4.9), it'll be...interesting to see what Windows programmers do to "fix" the problems with Windows 8, which does seem to have improved performance. Not that I'll upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 8 when I can upgrade 12.04 for free...

mastablasta
October 22nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
i have XP on main mashcine. will probably go with windows 8 when support expires. windows is needed for certain online banking (actually for reading the locked chip) and also some other things as well as games. but for games i also need ot get more money and upgrade the darn thing.

kurt18947
October 22nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
"Dragged", surely?

As for Win8, even if it's not popular it'll still be ubiquitous and successful, just like Vista was. It would be a major win if one of the Linux vendors could convince a major OEM to take a major punt on offering desktop Linux as an alternative to consumers, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll be skipping over Win8 myself. We only just upgraded our Windows machines at home from XP to Win 7, don't see any point in upgrading to Win 8.

I'll likely do the same. Win 7 does the few things I need Windows for and it's supported 'til 2020. I'm not a gamer so meh.

Grenage
October 22nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
Me too, Win 7 is solid... the main message isn't that Win 8 is bad, it has to do about supporting FLOSS with some $$$...

Which is certainly a laudable goal; that said, I'm saving my proverbial pennies for the Steam Linux catalogue. While I've already got a monstrous Steam catalogue in Windows, I wholly believe that any success Linux might have in the mainstream market is likely tightly linked to the commercial success of large software houses.

Got to break out of the catch-22 phase at some point.

Lars Noodén
October 22nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
I dunno, Windows 8 seems cool. I won't be buying it since I'm broke, but I'll try it out when some relatives buy it though to see what's with all the fuzz.

With that being said, I think I'm gonna give out some money to some of the open source projects out there.

Any buzz will almost certainly be the result of the $ 1,500,000,000 spent on marketing (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/microsoft-estimated-to-spend-1-5-billion-on-windows-8-marketing/). That's also not counting the marketing that's deliberately mislabeled as "research".

This seems to be the original blog post:
http://jims2011.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/no-thanks-i-got-linux-october-26th.html

forrestcupp
October 22nd, 2012, 05:56 PM
Which is certainly a laudable goal; that said, I'm saving my proverbial pennies for the Steam Linux catalogue. While I've already got a monstrous Steam catalogue in Windows, I wholly believe that any success Linux might have in the mainstream market is likely tightly linked to the commercial success of large software houses.

Got to break out of the catch-22 phase at some point.

The thing that broke me out of the catch-22 was when I started using consoles for gaming, instead of PCs.

*^kyfds(
October 22nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Any buzz will almost certainly be the result of the $ 1,500,000,000 spent on marketing (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/microsoft-estimated-to-spend-1-5-billion-on-windows-8-marketing/).

They appear to have missed out on the entire UK media in terms of marketing.

I haven't seen a single advert for windows 8 anywhere.

Penguin360
October 22nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Windows 8 is going to be a big hit. Why? Because it is the apps that running on the OS that make the OS a good one.

The Metro style is the future. Since the release of iPhone, Apple has introduced a new concept: everything is "applified". Smartphones and tablets are all app-oriented, and the UI is uniformly app-oriented. More and more people are expecting to see an app-oriented interface when they fire up a device, so it is desktop/laptop's turn to be app-oriented, so Microsoft's Metro style is a big leap ahead of other competitors.

vasa1
October 22nd, 2012, 06:17 PM
Windows 8 is going to be a big hit. Why? Because it is the apps that running on the OS that make the OS a good one.

The Metro style is the future. Since the release of iPhone, Apple has introduced a new concept: everything is "applified". Smartphones and tablets are all app-oriented, and the UI is uniformly app-oriented. More and more people are expecting to see an app-oriented interface when they fire up a device, so it is desktop/laptop's turn to be app-oriented, so Microsoft's Metro style is a big leap ahead of other competitors.
Metro? What metro?

MasterNetra
October 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM
I tried Win8 back in RC err..consumer preview and release preview, it was alright once you learned and got used to doing things in it. It is less effiecent when it comes to work flow then its predecssors but seems to be smarter at handling ram usage. Ultimately though I'm sticking to Ubuntu, more secure and even with Unity still better work flow.

Penguin360
October 22nd, 2012, 06:38 PM
Metro? What metro?
You must be kidding.

vasa1
October 22nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
You must be kidding.
Or you.

Microsoft Dropping 'Metro' Name in Windows 8
(http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408042,00.asp)
And this is like weeks ago.

Dragonbite
October 22nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Windows 3.11 = good
Windows 95 = bad
Windows 98 = good
Windows Me = bad
Windows XP = good
Windows Vista = bad
Windows 7 = good
Windows 8 = _____ (fill in the blank!)

Or just follow the 5th "R" of troubleshooting

Restart the Application
Reboot Windows
Reinstall the Application
Reinstall Windows
Replace Windows with Linux!

Penguin360
October 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
@Dragonbite, how come your name is in green?

forrestcupp
October 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM

The Metro style is the future. Since the release of iPhone, Apple has introduced a new concept: everything is "applified". Smartphones and tablets are all app-oriented, and the UI is uniformly app-oriented. More and more people are expecting to see an app-oriented interface when they fire up a device, so it is desktop/laptop's turn to be app-oriented, so Microsoft's Metro style is a big leap ahead of other competitors.Apps are fine for people who don't have to do anything that requires a lot. But not everything we do works well in the "app" world. I'd like to see something like Blender work in app format. That's just one example. Some things on a laptop/desktop just need the desktop mode. That's why it was a serious screw up for them to handicap the desktop mode.

Metro? What metro?Modern UI. ;)

gerrman97
October 22nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
i agree Paqman. ill probably get it, tho. just because i can make money that way. :)

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2012, 07:41 PM
The Windows 8 ecosystem will be very successful,when they add to initiatives of Xbox720 the circle will be complete and hard to beat.

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2012, 07:45 PM
Windows 3.11 = good
Windows 95 = bad
Windows 98 = good
Windows Me = bad
Windows XP = good
Windows Vista = bad
Windows 7 = good

Or just follow the 5th "R" of troubleshooting

Restart the Application
Reboot Windows
Reinstall the Application
Reinstall Windows
Replace Windows with Linux!

Win95 bad???????? You are kidding, it was a watershed product.

MasterNetra
October 22nd, 2012, 08:12 PM
The Windows 8 ecosystem will be very successful,when they add to initiatives of Xbox720 the circle will be complete and hard to beat.

meh. I can see Windows 8 be a win for gaming, but business...well I don't see much incentive to move from windows 7. Win8 tends to hamper workflow when compared to its predecessors. Tried it myself. Worked fine for me when it came to gaming, but definitely not the best option for businesses.

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
meh. I can see Windows 8 be a win for gaming, but business...well I don't see much incentive to move from windows 7. Win8 tends to hamper workflow when compared to its predecessors. Tried it myself. Worked fine for me when it came to gaming, but definitely not the best option for businesses.

Trying pre-release candidates is no judge.

And what on earth is "meh" ?????????????????

forrestcupp
October 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Win95 bad???????? You are kidding, it was a watershed product.

That's right. Win95 was their very first 32-bit general use desktop OS. It was also the pioneer of a desktop paradigm that has continued until now, and with the popular KDE is still continuing. Windows 95 was revolutionary.

oldos2er
October 22nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
"No thanks, I have Linux." FTFY. ;)

PaulInBHC
October 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
The thing that broke me out of the catch-22 was when I started using consoles for gaming, instead of PCs.

I broke out of buying consoles every couple of years by using PCs for gaming. But I'm not a cutting edge kind of guy either.

Dr. C
October 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
That's right. Win95 was their very first 32-bit general use desktop OS. It was also the pioneer of a desktop paradigm that has continued until now, and with the popular KDE is still continuing. Windows 95 was revolutionary.

This is not entirely true. Windows 95 was a hybrid 16 bit and 32 bit OS with DOS 7 hidden from the user to some extent. It also was not a pre-emptive multitasking OS when it came to Windows 16 bit applications and if any one of these applications crashed down went the whole OS like Windows 3.xx. It also had similar limitations with resource stacks that were present in Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11. If one did not reboot every 1 - 2 hours the system would crash. Also Windows 3.xx does heve some 32bit code.

The first true 32bit general use Microsoft OS was Windows XP unless one counts the business verions of Windows: NT 3.x, NT 4 and 2000. In those days I used Windows NT 3.5 / 3.51 that ran 16bit Windows applications far better than Windows 3.xx or Windows 95, unless the application was infected with DRM in which case the application did not run at all.

I would not call Windows 95 a disaster like DOS 4.0, Windows ME or Windows Vista but it is also not a DOS 3.1, Windows NT 3.51, Windows 2000 or Windows 7.

*^kyfds(
October 22nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
Apparently MS has fixed most of the gaping security holes in windows 8 that were present in previous MS OS's.

LiamOS
October 22nd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Apparently MS has fixed most of the gaping security holes in windows 8 that were present in previous MS OS's.
I don't know about this... Even the Windows 7 kernel and userspace are pretty open to... Well, everything.
I also have a question as to whether antivirus companies would make it worth their while to keep the OS hackable by a 15 year old...

But maybe I'm just in need of a tinfoil hat.

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2012, 01:29 AM
This is not entirely true. Windows 95 was a hybrid 16 bit and 32 bit OS with DOS 7 hidden from the user to some extent. It also was not a pre-emptive multitasking OS when it came to Windows 16 bit applications and if any one of these applications crashed down went the whole OS like Windows 3.xx. It also had similar limitations with resource stacks that were present in Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11. If one did not reboot every 1 - 2 hours the system would crash. Also Windows 3.xx does heve some 32bit code.

The first true 32bit general use Microsoft OS was Windows XP unless one counts the business verions of Windows: NT 3.x, NT 4 and 2000. In those days I used Windows NT 3.5 / 3.51 that ran 16bit Windows applications far better than Windows 3.xx or Windows 95, unless the application was infected with DRM in which case the application did not run at all.

I would not call Windows 95 a disaster like DOS 4.0, Windows ME or Windows Vista but it is also not a DOS 3.1, Windows NT 3.51, Windows 2000 or Windows 7.
Yes, Win95 was a hybrid 16-bit & 32-bit, but it was the first general use MS OS that ran 32-bit software. There was 32-bit software that was made for Windows 95 that would not run in Windows 3.x. XP was the first mainstream desktop OS from the NT line, but not the first to run 32-bit software.

Also, I used Windows 95 from the moment it came out until Windows 98 came out, and I never once experienced having to reboot it every 1-2 hours. In my opinion, it was an amazing OS for its time. Windows 95 began the whole paradigm of having a panel with a task switcher, button for an application menu, and clock/notification area. It also was the beginning of having the familiar Minimize, Maximize, and Close buttons in the upper right of every window. A lot of people have copied that style for a lot of years, and Win95 is what started it all.

KiwiNZ
October 23rd, 2012, 01:47 AM
I broke out of buying consoles every couple of years by using PCs for gaming. But I'm not a cutting edge kind of guy either.

To grasp the vision of Xbox720 one has to eliminate from ones thoughts that a console is a gaming device but think more that the Xbox 720 is a device that has as one part of it's feature set the ability to play games, however that ability is not it's primary function. The primary function of the 720 is being that of a hub that brings together all the functionality a modern connected household.

Ubuntu and Canonical could do well to look at this, learn from that concept and develop accordingly.

Copper Bezel
October 23rd, 2012, 05:12 AM
Yeah, even PS2 had hints of the make-your-living-room-an-iPhone approach, and XBox has been heading that way for some time. Entertainment system, not game system.

Apps are fine for people who don't have to do anything that requires a lot. But not everything we do works well in the "app" world. I'd like to see something like Blender work in app format. That's just one example. Some things on a laptop/desktop just need the desktop mode. That's why it was a serious screw up for them to handicap the desktop mode.

Modern UI. ;)

Yeah, no way in Hell I'm going to stop calling it that just because MS can't. It's a word, it means a thing, and we need a word for the thing it means.

I disagree about Blender, because it's an MID with its own private skinned interface. If there is no WM to speak of, then the app has to provide the document management features it needs, and I think Blender is an example of what that might look like in an extreme case. Now, the limitations on what sorts of code can run in Metro world and a bunch of other practical and philosophical factors make it unlikely that Metro will be the home for production apps of that kind, but I don't think the interface is a big part of it.

Grenage
October 23rd, 2012, 09:03 AM

That does make life easier, but I don't get on with consoles. I don't like the control methods, or their configuration limitations (which is admittedly also one of their major benefits).

Paddy Landau
October 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
…. except when they are drug kicking and screaming into court."Dragged", surely?
LOL, I was confused when I read that; I though he was talking about some drug users, and I couldn't figure out what was meant!

… A lot of people have copied that style for a lot of years, and Win95 is what started it all.
Are you sure? Didn't Windows copy Apple who in turn copied Xerox? (If I remember correctly, Apple sued Windows for copying it, while Xerox sued Apple for copying it.)

Back to topic:

I won't pay $80 to downgrade from Ubuntu to Windows 8. I'll instead do as suggested in the original article (http://larrythefreesoftwareguy.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/no-thanks-i-got-linux/) and "donate the same amount to the Linux-distro I use the most [or] a particular FOSS program [that I find] useful."

I have yet to decide to which FOSS programs to share the money out…

vasa1
October 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
... I have yet to decide to which FOSS programs to share the money out…
Nice topic for a new thread! But Mozilla, TDF, and the devs of the Stylish and Adblock Plus extensions are on my shortlist.

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
I disagree about Blender, because it's an MID with its own private skinned interface. If there is no WM to speak of, then the app has to provide the document management features it needs, and I think Blender is an example of what that might look like in an extreme case. Now, the limitations on what sorts of code can run in Metro world and a bunch of other practical and philosophical factors make it unlikely that Metro will be the home for production apps of that kind, but I don't think the interface is a big part of it.You're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm not sure what it would take to code it for Metro, but Blender could probably be run in Metro. What I'm saying is that they would have to continue creating their own GUI, which wouldn't be any different than it is now. Programs like that just don't fit the "app" look and feel, and it's not even possible for them to.

Are you sure? Didn't Windows copy Apple who in turn copied Xerox? (If I remember correctly, Apple sued Windows for copying it, while Xerox sued Apple for copying it.)You'll have to reread what I said. I was talking specifically about the task bar with start menu on the left and a clock/notification area on the right, and windows with a title bar and Minimize, Maximize, and Close buttons on the right. Xerox didn't look anything like that; it looked more like earlier versions of Windows. A lot of people have copied the Win95 look for a lot of years, and some still are.

DarkAmbient
October 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
The title of this thread could be a good slogan for a "Linux-commercial" or similar. Short but consistent.

sffvba[e0rt
October 23rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
The title of this thread could be a good slogan for a "Linux-commercial" or similar. Short but consistent.

Nice idea :)

doorknob60
October 24th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I got a free copy through MSDN Dreamspark through my school, and it's not too bad. It does seem faster than Windows 7 and Vista do, so that's a plus. The only thing is, using it on both my laptop and desktop, I spend 99% of my time in Desktop mode. I barely touched Metro at all, which kind of defeats the purpose. Plus, Desktop mode has no traditional start menu, which annoyed the crap out of me until I downloaded Start8, a must have in my opinion: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
Why Microsoft didn't include that by default is beyond me, but after installing Start8, I'm very comfortable using Win8 when I need to.

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I got a free copy through MSDN Dreamspark through my school, and it's not too bad. It does seem faster than Windows 7 and Vista do, so that's a plus. The only thing is, using it on both my laptop and desktop, I spend 99% of my time in Desktop mode. I barely touched Metro at all, which kind of defeats the purpose. Plus, Desktop mode has no traditional start menu, which annoyed the crap out of me until I downloaded Start8, a must have in my opinion: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
Why Microsoft didn't include that by default is beyond me, but after installing Start8, I'm very comfortable using Win8 when I need to.
That's cool that someone came out with a Start menu that works. Earlier on, there was one out there, but Microsoft intentionally did something to make it not work. Desktop mode would be slightly better if they would at least have some way to indicate that there is a hidden hotcorner in the upper left corner, which is the opposite of where people would look for a start menu.

Paddy Landau
October 25th, 2012, 10:14 AM
… that there is a hidden hotcorner in the upper left corner, which is the opposite of where people would look for a start menu.
Unless you use Unity :)

newp8lx
October 25th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Nice thank you i'll uprade to windows 8 :)

AllRadioisDead
October 25th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Windows 8 by any means but I enjoy using it a threefold over how much I enjoy using Ubuntu's mess of a dash, sketchy graphics drivers, lack of software, and adware.

dolphin194
October 25th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Windows 3.11 = good
Windows 95 = bad
Windows 98 = good
Windows Me = bad
Windows XP = good
Windows Vista = bad
Windows 7 = good

That actually doesn't work because you forgot Windows 2000. THAT was a good OS.

Dragonbite
October 25th, 2012, 04:04 PM
That actually doesn't work because you forgot Windows 2000. THAT was a good OS.

I think that was targeted to enterprises, not consumers. That's why Windows Me came out, for consumers, while 2000 took off based on NT4.

Then the two converged again with XP.

Paddy Landau
October 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Windows 8 by any means but I enjoy using it a threefold over how much I enjoy using Ubuntu's mess of a dash, sketchy graphics drivers, lack of software, and adware.
It's interesting how people's experiences differ. I love Unity, and I found Windows 8 incredibly frustrating and difficult.

I did find your comment, "lack of software", to be puzzling though.

Grenage
October 25th, 2012, 04:18 PM

I imagine he means 'popular, well tested, mainstream software'.

AllRadioisDead
October 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I imagine he means 'popular, well tested, mainstream software'.

This.

It's interesting how people's experiences differ. I love Unity, and I found Windows 8 incredibly frustrating and difficult.

I primarily work on a laptop, so that may influence my opinion. Windows 8 is obviously targeted at mobile devices and it's much more efficient to run on a laptop than Windows 7. Trackpad gestures such as switching between apps and bringing up the charms bar is incredibly fluent, and scrolling is much smoother than Windows 7. I haven't tried it on a desktop yet.

I did try installing 12.10 on a desktop and I hated it. I found the dash to be a mess, I tried to open a couple of my girlfriend's assignments in Libre Office and I had to spend 10 minutes reformatting everything, I tried playing a couple of the Humble Bundle games, Braid caused my graphics to crash and I had to reconfigure everything Nvidia-Settings, flash is still broken in a dual monitor setup using Firefox, the Amazon ads in the dash were annoying, half of the application icons in the dash are either ugly or incorrectly sized. It just doesn't feel like a professional product to me.

I know I'm probably going to get attacked for bashing Ubuntu, but I still think they have a long way to go. Wayland is a step in the right direction but Mark could really take a page from Microsoft. They've spent the last year making sure they have a large population of professional apps to populate their store, and that the hundreds of thousands of peripherals will work with Windows 8 and Windows RT. I can't really say the same for Ubuntu.

sffvba[e0rt
October 25th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I know I'm probably going to get attacked for bashing Ubuntu, but I still think they have a long way to go. Wayland is a step in the right direction but Mark could really take a page from Microsoft. They've spent the last year making sure they have a large population of professional apps to populate their store, and that the hundreds of thousands of peripherals will work with Windows 8 and Windows RT. I can't really say the same for Ubuntu.

You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else and nobody is attacking anybody (I hear the forum have ninja's and stuff that keep the peace)...

As for the latter, basically the whole ecosystem is Microsoft, how much did they do to make sure the above things happened, and how much of it was everyone else scrambling to make sure they where ready for Windows 8?

KiwiNZ
October 25th, 2012, 07:41 PM
The power of the dark side will protect me. In my opinion MSFT have just taken the lead in design and functionality with Windows 8,the rest will need to respond positively or lose.Windows 8 is just the start, much more is to come.

Penguin360
October 25th, 2012, 10:51 PM
The power of the dark side will protect me. In my opinion MSFT have just taken the lead in design and functionality with Windows 8,the rest will need to respond positively or lose.Windows 8 is just the start, much more is to come.
Agree. Just like when Microsoft introduced "Ribbon" in Microsoft Office, lots of people were complaining about it. But now, it is well accepted and loved, and it is the ribbon that beats both OpenOffice and LibreOffice, throwing them far behind like 10 years.

lancest
October 25th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Agree. Just like when Microsoft introduced "Ribbon" in Microsoft Office, lots of people were complaining about it. But now, it is well accepted and loved, and it is the ribbon that beats both OpenOffice and LibreOffice, throwing them far behind like 10 years.

Ugly (screen estate) and not vital- but a commercial success.
Still undesirable to many pros.

Copper Bezel
October 26th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Nice when minimized, making it a slim menubar that contains widgets when clicked. (Also, scans horizontally, which has its perks.)

moribashi
October 26th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Totally agree with you :)

shreepads
October 26th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Win 8 + Recession + Apple premium pricing => 2013 is the Year of the Linux Desktop?

:popcorn:

mastablasta
October 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Totally agree with you :)

ribon is still strange to me as sometimes i can't find what i am looking for (advanced function). but on the other hand it makes sense. all most used functions are clear on display and easy to navigate to.

KiwiNZ
October 26th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Win 8 + Recession + Apple premium pricing => 2013 is the Year of the Linux Desktop?

No

moribashi
October 26th, 2012, 10:19 AM
No

Sometimes I don't understand what is going on. A lot of linux fans should be here in the forum, but most of us seem to know that linux is no good for a lot of things... so question should be ask again - why bother using it at all? :)

sffvba[e0rt
October 26th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sometimes I don't understand what is going on. A lot of linux fans should be here in the forum, but most of us seem to know that linux is no good for a lot of things... so question should be ask again - why bother using it at all? :)

Then again, Linux is good for a lot of other things.

Linuxisfast
October 26th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Its junk, less than 1% share of desktop, why even bother using it. Let the geeks use it and us mainstream sheep use Windows :D

MG&TL
October 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM

Because it's fun.

moribashi
October 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Because it's fun.

Actually I am not having fun with my computer. Mostly I am working with it.

MG&TL
October 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Actually I am not having fun with my computer. Mostly I am working with it.

Then just use what (you think) works.

lucazade
October 26th, 2012, 11:00 AM

lol.. this made my day!

Luckily I'm a coder, so my PC will only run Linux and friends :)

Penguin360
October 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM

We point out what Linux is not doing well to hope they will be improved and enhanced.

I am a Windows developer, but I use Ubuntu too, and I definitely hope Linux, specially Ubuntu can be a major competitor.

Dragonbite
October 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Windows Vista was a bigger failure than Windows 8 (so far)
Recession hasn't changed much
Apple's prices are always a premium
If it hasn't happened already, 2013 isn't going to change anything.

Its junk, less than 1% share of desktop, why even bother using it. Let the geeks use it and us mainstream sheep use Windows :D

"less than 1% share of desktop" == "Its junk" :confused:

It all depends on your definition of "junk". If you are a follow-the-herd type person that only goes with the most popular fad at the time then yes, Linux is "junk".

Linuxisfast
October 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Windows Vista was a bigger failure than Windows 8 (so far)
Recession hasn't changed much
Apple's prices are always a premium
If it hasn't happened already, 2013 isn't going to change anything.

"less than 1% share of desktop" == "Its junk" :confused:

It all depends on your definition of "junk". If you are a follow-the-herd type person that only goes with the most popular fad at the time then yes, Linux is "junk".

That was sarcasm..........

gerrman97
October 26th, 2012, 05:58 PM
im a fan of windows sometimes. when they make a good product

windows xp= good
vista=SUCK
7=good
8=???????

CharlesA
October 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
That was sarcasm..........

<sarcasm></sarcasm> tags works wonders. ;)

im a fan of windows sometimes. when they make a good product

windows xp= good
vista=SUCK
7=good
8=???????

Windows 2000 = good
Windows XP = good
Windows Vista = different
Windows 7 = good
Windows 8 = different

Change is inevitable. Just look at the uproar over the change from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3. :) Not to mention the fork of Gnome 2 that cropped up after the guys at Gnome said they were discontinuing support for Gnome 2.

AllRadioisDead
October 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Ugly (screen estate) and not vital- but a commercial success.
Still undesirable to many pros.
You can hide the ribbon with the click of a button.

Agreed. It's nice to see a consistent design across their products. The surface looks awesome.

You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else and nobody is attacking anybody (I hear the forum have ninja's and stuff that keep the peace)...

As for the latter, basically the whole ecosystem is Microsoft, how much did they do to make sure the above things happened, and how much of it was everyone else scrambling to make sure they where ready for Windows 8?

Sorry, I didn't know we had ninjas. :popcorn:

I understand a lot of it has nothing to do with Ubuntu, it has to do with hardware oem's and drivers. I just feel that Canonical needs to work more closely with hardware manufacturers to make sure Linux can get some driver love too.

The push for Wayland is a step in the right direction.